AAPL Chart Talk

• Posted: 14 April 2012 06:27 PM #91

lovemyipad - 14 April 2012 09:23 PM
    alice - 14 April 2012 09:13 PM

Is there a gap in the 570 - 580 range?

568. :(

Because we are so close to earnings, there will be a lot of buyers at that 568 level.

• Posted: 14 April 2012 06:30 PM #92

I am reading these posts by iPad and Mav and for the first time this weekend I am smiling…I’m thinking of the cartoon the Pinky and the Brain…as they attempt world dominance in each episode. 

You have been more than clear.  By phrasing it as an if/then scenario it becomes crystal clear. And I understand the forks in the road…Monday and earnings.  Nothing is a given but we need to let it play out and act accordingly.  By George - I think I’ve got it—I really got it—the rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain!  I’m feeling silly today…

Signature

Keep Calm and Carry On

• Posted: 14 April 2012 06:34 PM #93

Phoebear611 - 14 April 2012 09:30 PM

I am reading these posts by iPad and Mav and for the first time this weekend I am smiling…I’m thinking of the cartoon the Pinky and the Brain…as they attempt world dominance in each episode. 

You have been more than clear.  By phrasing it as an if/then scenario it becomes crystal clear. And I understand the forks in the road…Monday and earnings.  Nothing is a given but we need to let it play out and act accordingly.  By George - I think I’ve got it—I really got it—the rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain!  I’m feeling silly today…

Spain has been a pain lately.

Posted: 14 April 2012 06:40 PM #94

Mav - 14 April 2012 09:11 PM
    lovemyipad - 14 April 2012 09:07 PM

In other words, Mav and I are saying the same thing. raspberry

We, are, NOT!  :D

iPad’s thinking in two tiers.  Technicals affecting earnings and then earnings.

I’m just focused on the earnings signpost.  It will be an overriding market influence because Apple is a full-fledged bellwether now, being probably one of the top 20 companies by revenue.

Are too, are too, are too!!! :D Okay, fine…I have an extra tier…but it’s labelled “Evil Overlords,” not technicals!  :eg:

I expect earnings to rock.  I just don’t know how and when and where the Evil Overlords will strike, before and after earnings.  Say, we go up to 700 before earnings, then have great earnings.  Then, do we go up another 100, or do we sell off?  On the other hand, say we go down to 550 before earnings, then have great earnings.  Then, we very definitely go up 100… and then what?  Go straight up to fair value and not-so-laughable P/E, or sell off?

See what I mean, jellybean?  (that’s a term of endearment, BTW raspberry)

Posted: 14 April 2012 06:42 PM #95

ROFL re: the rain in Spain…I took my dad to see My Fair Lady last summer at the Shaw Festival. smile

And YES, you’ve got it exactly right—YAY!! smile

Posted: 14 April 2012 06:43 PM #96

alice - 14 April 2012 09:34 PM

... By George - I think I’ve got it—I really got it—the rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain!  I’m feeling silly today…

Spain has been a pain lately.

ROFL!!!!!  SO TRUE!!!! smile

Posted: 14 April 2012 06:45 PM #97

alice - 14 April 2012 09:27 PM
    lovemyipad - 14 April 2012 09:23 PM
    alice - 14 April 2012 09:13 PM

Is there a gap in the 570 - 580 range?

568. :(

Because we are so close to earnings, there will be a lot of buyers at that 568 level.

BIG TIME!!!  No matter when.  Should we EVER see that level, we’ll have a lot of buyers there.

Posted: 14 April 2012 06:48 PM #98

Hey, I want to be a Jellybean too, Lovey.

Ask me in two weeks how next week and the week after goes and I will let you know free of charge with no tips expected.

Good Luck to all short-term option holders whichever way you are positioned.  Not for me, not for me, not for me.  I figure repetition will prevent me from myself next week and the week after in regards to establishing short-term positions.  Just not smart enough to know short term.  More time enables me to make even bad buys turn from lemons to lemonade.  smile

Posted: 14 April 2012 06:52 PM #99

iPad, I’m not so hair-trigger that I’d ask you if “jellybean” was a form of insult. LOL

My bias is slightly longer-term right now.  Buy the Dip Stage 2 was an October 12 BCS.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 14 April 2012 06:56 PM #100

Max, you are among my very favorite jellybeans! smile  LOL re: your astute predictions in two weeks…my gut’s telling me that somehow, your method results in 100% accuracy. :D And a resounding “me too” to your entire third paragraph! smile

Posted: 14 April 2012 07:50 PM #101

LEAPfrog - 14 April 2012 09:24 PM

I’m all for considering possibilities, but probablities are where my convictions lie.  And I need conviction in order to play my money in this market.

I don’t consider myself closed minded…..  maybe I should have asked if there was anything we could have overlooked this quarter to justify another leg down prior to earnings???

LEAPfrog, I know exactly what you mean(t).  Here is my standard answer: in the short-term, the market isn’t as efficient or rational as they teach us in business school.  Markets do not always react as we expect they should, and though we can speculate, we can’t prove WHY.  For example, why does macro matter sometimes and not other times??

The stock market is a business, and true or not, this is the story I tell myself to explain its unknowable machinations: the Evil Overlords are “The House” that always wins.  They are equal-opportunity hunters—they take out bulls and bears with equal ease and ambivalence.  They are the reason markets stay irrational (upside or downside) longer than expected.  They’re the ones on the other side of our losing trades…(the ones on the other side of our winning trades = suckers :D).

I have conviction in Apple; it’s the Evil Overlords I don’t trust. wink

[ Edited: 14 April 2012 08:01 PM by lovemyipad ]      
  • Posted: 14 April 2012 10:02 PM #102

Right now 611 and 597 are my lines in the sand.

I buy calls if Apple goes above 611 and puts under 597.

622 is my next line.

I have no line under 597-if you know what I mean….

And I think Macroeconomic issues will result in 597.

Posted: 14 April 2012 10:15 PM #103

Mav as a jellybean….....yes, i like it.

Monday’s are usually good days, especially when said Monday coincides with an event like month or quarter end.. I am going to hope “tax liquidation end” also qualifies as an event.  If we can get past 10:30 A.M. On Monday with some stability and decent volume, we may see the return of the buying class.

Do you agree, jellybean?

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

Posted: 14 April 2012 11:05 PM #104

Had to look it up…and OMG!!  This clip cracked me up!! :D

Pinky and the Brain

Posted: 14 April 2012 11:09 PM #105

kevinhernandez - 15 April 2012 01:02 AM

Right now 611 and 597 are my lines in the sand.

I buy calls if Apple goes above 611 and puts under 597.

622 is my next line.

I have no line under 597-if you know what I mean….

And I think Macroeconomic issues will result in 597.

I think we need RobWill to crank out that pivot point diagram he always posts, though it might not be ready yet.

But Kevin, is your 611 based on resistance?