Do You Want an Apple TV, or an Apple Television?

Poll: Do You Want an Apple TV, or an Apple Television?
Total Votes: 31
Apple TV, so I can use the television I want.
Apple television, because I want an all-in-one solution.
I’d rather use something like Slingbox.
I made my own home media server.

Posted: 16 April 2012 11:35 AM

Rumors say Apple is working on its own television for release sometime this year. With the Apple TV already available, which sounds more enticing to you?

• Posted: 16 April 2012 11:40 AM #1

In November I bought a Sony BluRay player because it has a lot more streaming sources than Apple TV. Oh, and it plays discs too. If Apple TV had more streaming sources I may have gotten it instead.

Posted: 16 April 2012 12:03 PM #2

Can we have both?

I want cable TV service without tinny decoder boxes and 102 button remotes.

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

Posted: 16 April 2012 12:07 PM #3

I’ve looked at the AppleTV and it’s interesting but I haven’t gone that route. I stream from my Mac as needed and it works fine.

I’ve said before and I’ll say again I hope Apple is too smart to get into the Television business. It’s a mature market and Apple can’t bring enough to the table to revolutionize the market. Existing remotes work good enough. Voice (Siri based) interaction is just a mess waiting to happen. A ‘world of hurt’ to coin a phrase.

Signature

Courage is not the absence of fear, that’s insanity.
    Courage is knowing the risks and dangers.
    And doing what needs to be done anyway.

• Posted: 16 April 2012 02:07 PM #4

I want the function of the current Apple TV, if Apple produced a cost competitive all-in-one Apple TV, TV solution I would seriously consider it.

I am going to get a new TV when my current Sony (tube type) quits, so I’ve got some time to consider the options.

Current LED-LCD TV’s have a reasonable price-point, if Apple had a complete solution with a competitive price point I would consider it.

In TV’s price per function is more of a requirement than in computers.  Now I just get the Mac that best suits my needs, I don’t consider other computers. For TV’s it would be best quality for the best price, so for me, with TV’s, Apple is not automatic.

Andy

Posted: 16 April 2012 02:37 PM #5

I don’t watch much TV.  I was at a vacation home last week.  The house had a huge 60+ inch TV monitor and cable box and all sorts of gadgets, including game boxes.  There were 4 remotes associated to all the different devices, not including the Wii remotes brought from home (by my relatives who brought them there).

Other than pressing the power button, I couldn’t figure out how to use any of the devices to watching baseball.  What would be the perfect killer app from Apple would be a simple to use system, either through Siri or some other method, to allow me to just say, “Play the Giants Pirates game” or “any horror movies on?” or something like that and have it show me the options or offer me the show directly.  I’m really tired of having to learn how to navigate each and every damn blasted remote control.

Posted: 17 April 2012 01:10 AM #6

Speaking of TV remotes, some forty years ago I had a chance to play with a remote from Sony that still, to me, seems like the most sensible ever remote design. The remote itself was shaped like an egg with a flat bottom and a single button at the top. Inside the remote was a motion sensor. When you picked up the remote a menu appeared on the television screen and you could then move the remote so that an arrow highlighted the menu item that would be selected if you pressed the button. It seems to me that a similar remote today would be far easier to use than those with a multitude of buttons.

Signature

James Leo Ryan

• Posted: 17 April 2012 02:28 AM #7

I’m pretty happy with the Apple TV I have connected to a Vizio TV. I don’t have any actual TV service so it’s just a giant monitor to the Apple TV which streams Netlfix or connects to my iTunes sharing, and for my combo Blu-Ray/DVD/VCR.

However if I had to replace it or if I were buying a second TV, I would certainly entertain the possibility of getting an Apple branded TV for an extra $100-$200, depending on what extra functionality it added. I certainly do like the idea of bring able to operate all functions of the TV using the simple remote that currently ships with the separate Apple TV device.