Nokia

• Posted: 19 April 2012 10:50 AM

Will anyone buy this dying company? Or will Nokia simply die a slow death?

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/nokia-posts-1-2-billion-133748694.html

• Posted: 19 April 2012 11:10 AM #1

They have big time patents, so that’s something many could use.

Their headquarters here in the Helsinki region is wery, wery, glassy.  WERY GLASSY. I say convert the behemoth into a gigantic Apple Store.  LOL.

Posted: 19 April 2012 11:55 AM #2

Mike in Helsinki - 19 April 2012 02:10 PM

Their headquarters here in the Helsinki region is wery, wery, glassy.  WERY GLASSY. I say convert the behemoth into a gigantic Apple Store.  LOL.

Mike

You have special place in your heart for them. grin

Nokia’s slow motion demise is a very good indicator where the smart phone market is going and how it will send to their graves more companies.  First it was Palm, then HP, then MOTO, then RIMM, next will be HTC, LG, Microsoft, and eventually in about 5 years Samsung.

Asymco saw this long time ago and predicted it quite well.  I think Nokia’s demise helped Android a great deal, but over time Microsoft will eat into Android and then Andorid will eat eats own (ie Samsung) when Google uses Motorola to salvage what remains.

Posted: 19 April 2012 12:21 PM #3

Nokia might have some IP that is useful. They will likely be sold at fire sale prices IMO.
    Now RIM is a different story. I think Apple should be in talks NOW to buy RIM. Their Messenger and secure e-mail platforms and patents would work great for Apple. Imagine if Apple could start telling corporate types that messages on an iPhone were secure because they were going over BB protocols. That would be huge. Conversely if Google buys them it would be a big feather for Android, though I’d expect that Google would screw it up. Secure and Open Source and Google’s laissez-faire corporate culture wouldn’t be a good mix.

Signature

Take Only Pictures, Leave Only Footprints
    Is No Way To Run An Art Gallery

• Posted: 19 April 2012 12:29 PM #4

omacvi - 19 April 2012 02:55 PM
    Mike in Helsinki - 19 April 2012 02:10 PM

Mike

You have special place in your heart for them. grin

Nokia’s slow motion demise is a very good indicator where the smart phone market is going and how it will send to their graves more companies.  First it was Palm, then HP, then MOTO, then RIMM, next will be HTC, LG, Microsoft, and eventually in about 5 years Samsung.

Asymco saw this long time ago and predicted it quite well.  I think Nokia’s demise helped Android a great deal, but over time Microsoft will eat into Android and then Andorid will eat eats own (ie Samsung) when Google uses Motorola to salvage what remains.

Agreed. However, they remain dominant in emerging markets throughout Asia and Sub-Saharan Africa, where their commodity (feature) phones are often all one can find. For many in these areas, Nokia are the bee’s knees; which will keep them afloat long after they have slipped beneath the surface of public consciousness in current high income countries.

Signature

wab95

Posted: 19 April 2012 04:56 PM #5

geoduck - 19 April 2012 03:21 PM

Nokia might have some IP that is useful. They will likely be sold at fire sale prices IMO.
    Now RIM is a different story. I think Apple should be in talks NOW to buy RIM. Their Messenger and secure e-mail platforms and patents would work great for Apple. Imagine if Apple could start telling corporate types that messages on an iPhone were secure because they were going over BB protocols. That would be huge. Conversely if Google buys them it would be a big feather for Android, though I’d expect that Google would screw it up. Secure and Open Source and Google’s laissez-faire corporate culture wouldn’t be a good mix.

I’m not sure that’s Apple’s method; RIM would be a rather high-profile company for Apple to acquire. 

In terms of technology, Apple already has a messaging protocol (whatever they are using for iMessage right now), so they don’t need RIM’s.  They wouldn’t likely pull out iMessage protocol and replace it with BB protocol, but rather they’d have to do something to add BB-like security to iMessages.  They could do that already if they wanted to, so BB purchase would only bring in some patents and some people with domain knowledge on secure messaging. 

The other reason for buying RIM would be to annex RIM’s enterprise customers.  But Apple is already making inroads there.  They wouldn’t buy a company when they thought they were already beating that company to death.  Also, Apple isn’t likely to switch focus from consumer to enterprise enough to make faster growth in enterprise anyway.

What about talent? Does RIM have enough talented developers with it currently/still to be worth grabbing?

I do think it would be cool though, because I like both RIM and Apple and would love to see them doing well together.  (I also liked Palm and Nokia.  But Palm’s already dead and Nokia is as good as dead and now in the MS camp anyway.)

• Posted: 22 April 2012 01:20 AM #6

Apple buying RIM is very unlikely, but also very intriguing. As previously noted it would be very uncharacteristic of them to do so. But Tim Cook is at the helm. What if he thinks RIM would be useful as a wholly owned subsidiary?

Signature

Problem definition is the key to problem resolution.

Posted: 22 April 2012 01:21 AM #7

Much, MUCH higher odds on AAPL acquiring the patents RIM holds if it gets to that point.  Apple will not buy RIM itself.  It will stand by if another company seeks to buy RIM.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 09 July 2012 10:56 AM #9

Wow. $7B market cap. Stock at $1.85. Amazing.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=nok&ql=1

Posted: 09 July 2012 12:20 PM #10

adamthompson32 - 09 July 2012 01:56 PM

I found it interesting that they have $6.8B in “Goodwill”

• Posted: 09 July 2012 02:26 PM #11

CdnPhoto - 09 July 2012 03:20 PM
    adamthompson32 - 09 July 2012 01:56 PM

I found it interesting that they have $6.8B in “Goodwill”

Trying to remember, but I think “goodwill” is the difference between net equity and the price paid for a firm. In this case “goodwill” is the remaing (depreciated) value of an acquired firm by Nokia. In reality, due to Nokia’s sudden fall from grace, that asset should be written down, because it isn’t bringing any value (revenue) to the firm.

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

• Posted: 20 July 2012 03:07 PM #12

Already rated as junk, Nokia’s debt was downgraded even further today by Fitch.

Now refer to MSFT’s first reported quarterly loss yesterday.  That loss was due to a write down on a bad investment.  MSFT has a lot of these, Nokia’s $1,000,000,000 being one of them.

Could there be a string of MSFT quarterly losses looming ahead?

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

• Posted: 21 July 2012 01:14 AM #13

Gregg Thurman - 20 July 2012 06:07 PM

Already rated as junk, Nokia’s debt was downgraded even further today by Fitch.

Now refer to MSFT’s first reported quarterly loss yesterday.  That loss was due to a write down on a bad investment.  MSFT has a lot of these, Nokia’s $1,000,000,000 being one of them.

Could there be a string of MSFT quarterly losses looming ahead?

I’d ask Ballmer this question if I wasn’t afraid of him yelling at me:  “Developers!  Developers!  Developers!  Developers!

Sorry, I’m drinking….