Weekend Updates - Archive

Posted: 20 April 2012 08:23 PM #31

ChasMac77 - 20 April 2012 10:15 PM

Phoebear611, golf has the same effect as a drive in the country. Pretty hard to think about AAPL when you’re fretting over a 4ft. putt that might cost you a buck if you don’t make it grin

I stay away from Twitter, I can’t think of anything more disturbing. Noise X 10.

Edit: going to watch our boy in Ghost Protocol with a few drinks tonight. grin

You’ll enjoy it - it’s a massive apple ad. iPads, iPhones & MacBooks in great abundance in the movie, fulfilling critical roles in missions.

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics

Posted: 20 April 2012 08:24 PM #32

Burgess - 20 April 2012 11:21 PM

I too fear irrational exuberance may at times be present on this board, but unfortunately there is no way to tell until after earnings. I still very well remember everyone’s massive projections for the Oct 11 quarter….

Did you remember also everyone’s too-low expectations from the December quarter, though?  Wow, talk about setting everyone up for a fall!

EDIT:  The AAPL independent analysts that I know make every effort to not let any AAPL bias they may have get in the way.  More often than not their principled approach serves them well.

[ Edited: 20 April 2012 08:39 PM by Mav ]

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 20 April 2012 08:34 PM #33

BrazilNuts - 20 April 2012 08:43 PM

50-day moving average at $569 and gap close at $568 are close enough from today?s lows.

Always had a feeling this gap should be closed the sooner the better. The speed of the downside today pointing to $568 looked same time terrifying and soothing. Good setup for earnings.

Strong feeling we find strong support after the Monday morning swoosh. Shorts should cover soon.

The questions reside on trusting a good earnings report. Sticking with the plan. Buy and hold is the way to go. Fundamentals trump panic.

I miss your grounding presence tremendously.  Just so you know. smile

Posted: 20 April 2012 08:42 PM #34

In Apple commentator land:  Gruber vs. Dilger!  (Again!)  Fight!  LOL

Forbes: ?What Apple CEO Tim Cook?s Visit to Valve Means? ?
    Uh, it means you don?t believe unsubstantiated crap from Apple Insider.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 20 April 2012 09:19 PM #35

And thus another weekend thread starts going to hell in a handbasket

Posted: 20 April 2012 09:33 PM #36

Once again we get the CNBC, all is falling spin from the chicken little show, and song and dance of the doom and gloom nay slayers. It was almost non stop today on the opinion channel that CNBC calls itself.

I would love to have a conversation with the producers of each of their ill got segments. Shame shame?

It is what it is. Life moves on and now we are licking our wounds. The only word missing from today was “beleaguered”, in regard to any and all things AAPL.

The last 7 days were a nightmare for any option holder that was long, and I feel your pain. I have taken an 80K bath, and I only hold commons. I am glad I , much like the venerable sponge, do not do options. I do not like bath’s, nor the sparkling springs they can be for those with the balls and girth to ride and play them.

Greg comes to mind. 1.3 Million to 400K, FUC$ M#

I have no tolerance for that any more, and few do.

Commons, and the divy are in my favor. I bought more today at 579, and think I got a great deal. I regret waiting for 572. I will lose little sleep.

Long 913 commons, and will probably buy more if a dip occurs on Monday. I kind of hope it does. I will not be shaken out of this stock, even though less than 1% of all shares are owned by schmucks like me, the retail investor.

Can you say 13 bucks a share on Tuesday, I can. How far north or south of that is the question.

I am really sorry for the big losses for the option folk, and I am very grateful for the truly long folks.

Tis a fine line drawn in the sand, and the banksters know it. They want all our shares, and I will not give in to them bastages, them who know they can shake the trees.

I am the olive that did not drop

Signature

“the power to crush the other kids”

http://www.differentdistrict.com/movies/play.php?id=280_0_28_0

• Posted: 20 April 2012 09:41 PM #37

In the past they report prior to the opening - I will assume it’s the same but not 100 percent sure.

Hey just looked - AT&T reports on Tuesday April 24th before the opening (not Monday as you said).  Their conference call is at 10 am that day - from their website:

Event Details

AT&T’s 1Q12 Earnings Conference Call
    Tuesday, April 24, 2012 10:00 a.m. ET

[ Edited: 20 April 2012 09:50 PM by Phoebear611 ]

Signature

Keep Calm and Carry On

Posted: 20 April 2012 10:06 PM #38

Pfft, bull or bear, I don’t care.

Bull or bear pretending they don’t care while rampaging in a porcelain shop, I _do_ care.

I will say what the mods will not:  This is NOT the Free Speech Board.  Opposing viewpoints are most welcome.  So is a healthy dose of humor.  Being anti-constructive and not being civil are not tolerated.  Don’t believe me, ask your friendly mod squad.

[ Edited: 20 April 2012 10:14 PM by Mav ]

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 20 April 2012 10:11 PM #39

Mav - 20 April 2012 11:24 PM
    Burgess - 20 April 2012 11:21 PM

I too fear irrational exuberance may at times be present on this board, but unfortunately there is no way to tell until after earnings. I still very well remember everyone’s massive projections for the Oct 11 quarter….

Did you remember also everyone’s too-low expectations from the December quarter, though?  Wow, talk about setting everyone up for a fall!

EDIT:  The AAPL independent analysts that I know make every effort to not let any AAPL bias they may have get in the way.  More often than not their principled approach serves them well.

I thought Nagrani was an idiot with his estimates last quarter….until he got damn near everything perfectly right. When I see consensus EPS only 18% higher than Apple’s EPS guidance and Apple beat its guidance by 50%+ last Q I stop worrying. This is going to be a friggin’ blowout on par with last Q. This is where TC and Apple make the biggest statement they’ve ever made and the stock goes up $100 in a couple weeks.

Posted: 20 April 2012 10:26 PM #40

lovemyipad - 20 April 2012 11:34 PM
    BrazilNuts - 20 April 2012 08:43 PM

50-day moving average at $569 and gap close at $568 are close enough from today?s lows.

Always had a feeling this gap should be closed the sooner the better. The speed of the downside today pointing to $568 looked same time terrifying and soothing. Good setup for earnings.

Strong feeling we find strong support after the Monday morning swoosh. Shorts should cover soon.

The questions reside on trusting a good earnings report. Sticking with the plan. Buy and hold is the way to go. Fundamentals trump panic.

I miss your grounding presence tremendously.  Just so you know. smile

Thank you. Will try to be more present. grin

BTW, Mr. Timothy Collins filling in for Mr. Doug Kass shares same view.

“One positive from the Apple selloff is that I believe it creates opportunity into the earnings, as I believe it offers upside and downside in the stock. Had Apple approached earnings at all-time highs, the possibility of a big move higher would have been severely muted.”

Posted: 20 April 2012 10:32 PM #41

Every time I buy the f-ing dip it f-ing dips some more!

I found myself with a fresh inflow of cash and bought shares this week at 586 and 572.

There’s an old saying in analysis: garbage in, garbage out. I suppose there might be some value in knowing what the idiots at CNBC are saying, but folks need to be emotionally detached or the blood pressure reaches dangerous levels. Idiots love to attack Apple when it shows any weakness. This might have a short term effect on share price, but that presents buying opportunities.

Posted: 20 April 2012 10:36 PM #42

I’ve been pretty mellow, and I’ve lost a pretty damn nice chunk of imaginary paper, some of which may turn into actual losses. 

You’ll learn to be calmer with time.  I’ve been there, I’ve somehow gotten here (not “zen”, but always trying to get there…), and I’m not exactly the calmest of people.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 20 April 2012 10:42 PM #43

Mav, is that “somehow” home-grown, by chance? :D

Posted: 20 April 2012 10:45 PM #44

Mav - 21 April 2012 01:36 AM

I’ve been pretty mellow, and I’ve lost a pretty damn nice chunk of imaginary paper, some of which may turn into actual losses. 

You’ll learn to be calmer with time.  I’ve been there, I’ve somehow gotten here (not “zen”, but always trying to get there…), and I’m not exactly the calmest of people.

So what you are telling us is that you paper trade and have no real skin in the game?  Please tell me you are buying and selling with real money?

• Posted: 20 April 2012 10:46 PM #45

lovemyipad - 21 April 2012 01:42 AM

Mav, is that “somehow” home-grown, by chance? :D

:grinsanta: