WWDC 2012 ....“we’ve all been waiting for”

Posted: 25 April 2012 10:27 AM

As Mercel suggests in Intraday thread, the logo brings to mind iTV.

“We have a great WWDC planned this year and can?t wait to share the latest news about iOS and OS X Mountain Lion with developers,” said Philip Schiller, Apple?s senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. “The iOS platform has created an entirely new industry with fantastic opportunities for developers across the country and around the world.”

The conference will also feature the Apple Design Awards, which showcases the most outstanding applications created for Apple’s iOS and OS X platforms in the last year.

WWDC 2012 will allow developers to explore the latest innovations, features and capabilities of iOS and OS X Mountain Lion. Apple has promised that developers will learn how to “greatly enhance the functionality, performance, quality and design of their apps.”

Deserving of its own thread, so I made one AppleInsider

Enhancements often come in the form of API (software structures used by programmers):

1. Siri API
    2. new Map API
    3. anything about video playback
    4. world localization (making the software more appropriate to different regions for either linguistic, legal or practical issues).  some overlap with Map API here
    5. multi-touch
    6. gyroscope enhancements, in games, exercise, walking the dog
    7. eBooks
    8. User interface:  Notification Center, iMessage, Twitter, Facebook (maybe on the facebook)
    9. iCloud vowed loud wow crowds.    The “ow” vowel is going to make me go deaf just from reading news reports.  This is just a sample.

Posted: 03 June 2012 09:25 PM #1

?Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.? What Would a Siri API Look Like?

If I were to speculate about what Apple?s big WWDC TBA session is (some have guessed television), I would guess Apple is going to teach its multitude of developers the basics of natural language processing and how exactly it plans to let them integrate with Siri. Let?s keep in mind that a conversational semantic services API?of this kind??whatever it will end up looking like?has never been done before and will likely require new tools, new paradigms, to fully capture its power and breadth.

http://blog.teaapp.com/post/24212825807/tea-earl-grey-hot-what-would-a-siri-api-look-like

• Posted: 03 June 2012 11:07 PM #2

Drew Bear - 04 June 2012 12:25 AM

?Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.? What Would a Siri API Look Like?

If I were to speculate about what Apple?s big WWDC TBA session is (some have guessed television), I would guess Apple is going to teach its multitude of developers the basics of natural language processing and how exactly it plans to let them integrate with Siri. Let?s keep in mind that a conversational semantic services API?of this kind??whatever it will end up looking like?has never been done before and will likely require new tools, new paradigms, to fully capture its power and breadth.

http://blog.teaapp.com/post/24212825807/tea-earl-grey-hot-what-would-a-siri-api-look-like

I’d expect the first Siri APIs to be extremely focused and limited.  Like conducting a search within an app like Evernote or imdb.  Or selecting a geo-area.  Or sharing an item within an app with a contact, like “send this article to nancy”

I kind of expect something along the lines of what we saw with background apps where certain things worked in the background, like audio.  But obviously not everything. 

I’m not a developer…

Posted: 04 June 2012 04:18 AM #3

Apple doubling down on secrecy?  Sure seems like it.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 04 June 2012 07:18 AM #4

Not to threadjack, but the comments about Picard ordering tea through SIRI reminded me of this article from Modern Drunkard Magazine. Excerpt:

The Synthehol Boondoggle
    Synthehol. It sounds like aftershave without the kick, which is sadly close to the truth. After Kirk finished ripping up (and repopulating) the universe, a bunch of Earl Grey-sipping sissies followed in his wake. Star Trek: The Next Generation absorbed the political correctness of its era and came up with sinister synthehol. An obvious bow to MADD, these artificial liquors are supposed to taste and smell exactly like alcohol but mete out no hangovers and here?s the kicker?its effects can be easily disregarded. Problem is, real alcohol-based hooch is available for the right price—even that tea-sipping, starship-surrendering ponce Picard has the bartender keep a bottle of real-deal Aldeberan Whiskey behind the bar for his own private use. Make no mistake though, just because his family owns a vineyard on Earth and he stashed some good stuff doesn?t mean he?s a latter-day Kirk.?

(You should really read through the whole article. Maybe I’ll repost after Friday’s close in the weekend thread.) Does anyone with WWDC experience know how much imbibing goes on? Hacker conferences (like Hope Number 9 where I’ll be in July) are generally caffeine fests but Club-Mate and vodka is reportedly very popular.

[ Edited: 04 June 2012 07:22 AM by rezonate ]

Signature

Use your powers for good.

Posted: 05 June 2012 05:00 AM #5

WWDC schedule https://developer.apple.com/wwdc/schedule/

Developers will have their hands full and the good ones will love it.  The rest of “us” will be appreciate and do what we can.

Nokia, RIM, Palm, MS, HP, Google…..  they show up too.  At Apple’s table.  Except Palm.  RIP.

Posted: 06 June 2012 02:04 PM #6

Apparently Apple is also doing a mass refresh around the same time. AppleInsider leaked it this morning, and 9to5mac just released their own parts list. iMac, Mac Pro, MBA and MBP, plus a large number of additional accessories. It’ll be interesting to see if there are new features being announced in ML to take advantage of new features in the hardware lineup.

Signature

-Jon Roth

Instant Philosopher; Just add hot topic and stir.

Posted: 06 June 2012 04:20 PM #7

Kitsune may have hit the nail on the head.  New UI devices ?  New displays very likely, but new UI devices can be disruptive.

Posted: 06 June 2012 06:51 PM #8

KitsuneStudios - 06 June 2012 05:04 PM

Apparently Apple is also doing a mass refresh around the same time. AppleInsider leaked it this morning, and 9to5mac just released their own parts list. iMac, Mac Pro, MBA and MBP, plus a large number of additional accessories. It’ll be interesting to see if there are new features being announced in ML to take advantage of new features in the hardware lineup.

Could Apple lead the way with 80211ac, WIFI 5G, they were early adopters of Bluetooth 4.0 , it would provide the wireless bandwidth for streaming video throughout the household.  Accessories are an interesting category.  Do we get a time capsule which can cache our iOS stuff and then feed it to our iDevices when we get home .

Posted: 06 June 2012 08:22 PM #9

rezonate - 04 June 2012 10:18 AM

Not to threadjack, but the comments about Picard ordering tea through SIRI reminded me of this article from Modern Drunkard Magazine. Excerpt:

The Synthehol Boondoggle
    Synthehol. It sounds like aftershave without the kick, which is sadly close to the truth. After Kirk finished ripping up (and repopulating) the universe, a bunch of Earl Grey-sipping sissies followed in his wake. Star Trek: The Next Generation absorbed the political correctness of its era and came up with sinister synthehol. An obvious bow to MADD, these artificial liquors are supposed to taste and smell exactly like alcohol but mete out no hangovers and here?s the kicker?its effects can be easily disregarded. Problem is, real alcohol-based hooch is available for the right price—even that tea-sipping, starship-surrendering ponce Picard has the bartender keep a bottle of real-deal Aldeberan Whiskey behind the bar for his own private use. Make no mistake though, just because his family owns a vineyard on Earth and he stashed some good stuff doesn?t mean he?s a latter-day Kirk.?

(You should really read through the whole article. Maybe I’ll repost after Friday’s close in the weekend thread.) Does anyone with WWDC experience know how much imbibing goes on? Hacker conferences (like Hope Number 9 where I’ll be in July) are generally caffeine fests but Club-Mate and vodka is reportedly very popular.

Ha ha. Yeah, I’ve watched all the ST series, and the latter ones do seem to suggest the Federation becomes totalitarian, no room for dissent, which is pretty scary. Do things our way, or you can’t come in; very anti-democratic, as most multilateral organizations are, thought, power, sovereignty move from the people to centralized control. Apparently, even homebrewing is made illegal in the Federation? I’d imagine, so are Libertarians.

I love how ST makes all these claims of curing poverty and crime, but they never tell us how. They seemed to have banned currency and commerce (but how do they trade with other worlds?). Funny, coming from Gene Roddenberry, who lived in the ultra-rich enclave of Bel-Air and drove around in a Rolls Royce…

Too bad there aren’t any more ST series for the foreseeable future…

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007

Posted: 06 June 2012 11:39 PM #10

I have a good feeling about Siri APIs - I think the potential is definitly there for a vast array of future non-touchscreen products (either from Apple or 3rd Party).

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics

Posted: 07 June 2012 12:18 AM #11

JDSoCal - 06 June 2012 11:22 PM

The Synthehol Boondoggle

Ha ha. Yeah, I’ve watched all the ST series, and the latter ones do seem to suggest the Federation becomes totalitarian, no room for dissent, which is pretty scary. Do things our way, or you can’t come in; very anti-democratic, as most multilateral organizations are, thought, power, sovereignty move from the people to centralized control. Apparently, even homebrewing is made illegal in the Federation? I’d imagine, so are Libertarians.

I love how ST makes all these claims of curing poverty and crime, but they never tell us how. They seemed to have banned currency and commerce (but how do they trade with other worlds?). Funny, coming from Gene Roddenberry, who lived in the ultra-rich enclave of Bel-Air and drove around in a Rolls Royce…

There was a serious debate back n the late 1990’s about whether the Star Trek “economic model” could really work….who paid for all those gigazillion dollar starships, anyway?  The theories came down to despotic old Federation worlds sucking resource from new Federation worlds ( benevolent fascism) vs. a theory that had so much growth through scientific advancement that productivity exploded and all needs were met and everyone did whatever they wanted in society. 

But who still paid for the starships?

—————-

Oh, I’m looking forward to WWDC.  :wink:

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

• Posted: 07 June 2012 12:25 AM #12

Hardware announcements move the stock in the short-term

Posted: 07 June 2012 10:21 AM #13

Since it’s a developer conference, my prediction is Apple TV apps.

Signature

The only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. — Steve Jobs

Posted: 08 June 2012 10:06 AM #14

http://9to5mac.com/2012/06/08/retina-mac-apps-begin-appearing-in-app-store-ahead-of-apples-wwdc-unveiling/

Retina Mac apps

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

Posted: 08 June 2012 10:55 AM #15

Red Shirted Ensign - 07 June 2012 03:18 AM
    JDSoCal - 06 June 2012 11:22 PM

The Synthehol Boondoggle

There was a serious debate back n the late 1990’s about whether the Star Trek “economic model” could really work….who paid for all those gigazillion dollar starships, anyway?  The theories came down to despotic old Federation worlds sucking resource from new Federation worlds ( benevolent fascism) vs. a theory that had so much growth through scientific advancement that productivity exploded and all needs were met and everyone did whatever they wanted in society. 

But who still paid for the starships?

—————-

Oh, I’m looking forward to WWDC.  :wink:

I have also wondered many times what type of eco-political structure would allow all to improve and better themselves. As a star trek fanatic i have come to believe in a corporate world system where everyone benefits from receiving and owning stock on all matters of off-world and on-world enterprise. Everyone who is able works though, freedom to pursue whatever your dreams become. A safety net included. Government not a totalitarian leadership,  but a elected board and Chairman structure as in the corporate world.
    Then of course as it has been for eons…humans and humanoids tend to wax corrupt. History is abound with corruption and evil. So IMO,  if ST has indicated to some that it became totalitarian it is no surprise.