Your thoughts on Scribol?

Posted: 02 May 2012 07:05 PM

Greetings, folks!

As some of you have undoubtedly noticed, we added some Scribol links to the bottom of our articles recently as a test. The deal is that if we send some traffic to Scribol, they’ll send even more traffic back to us. That part’s good, but obviously it comes at a cost. I’m curious what you all think of the links and placement. Please, don’t hold back—be honest, we appreciate your thoughts.

They’re here, like this, in case you didn’t realize:

Thanks!
    -Dave

Signature

-Dave Hamilton / The Mac Observer / Mac Geek Gab / Dave on Twitter
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.

Posted: 07 June 2012 11:33 PM #1

Apparently none.

Signature

Mac switchers see my profile for switching help…

• Posted: 01 July 2012 10:59 AM #2

Funny thing, I didn’t even notice them for quite a while. When I did I thought they were TMO links and was somewhat confused as to why TMO was sending me to the linked article since it was only tangentially related to Macs/Apple/iThings.

If it is generating a lot of revenue and you decide to keep them I think that they need to be more clearly stated that they are not links to TMO articles and take you away from TMO.

For the most part I haven’t found the articles linked to be that engaging and haven’t been clicking.

Signature

Harry Mueller
    Durham NH

• Posted: 05 July 2012 02:32 PM #3

I think I basically have a mental ad filter that has caused me to not even notice them separate from the standard ads. I didn’t realize they were there until I saw this discussion.

That said, now that I am deliberately looking at them, they are definitely more interesting and relevant than the typical sponsored links. Many of the headlines are things I might actually want to read. smile

Posted: 06 July 2012 08:20 AM #4

I’ve noticed it sometimes serves up some really OLD articles. Today it was showing an article about how iPhone 5 will be beaten out by Android…. in 2011. Not particularly relevant.

Signature

Mac switchers see my profile for switching help…

Posted: 04 August 2012 08:26 AM #5

I don’t like them. I haven’t tried yet here, but most sites I see with stuff like this are misleading. It wasn’t worth the 3 clicks you had to go through and additional clicks to close the popups that show up after every click. After a couple of those in other sites, I developed a mental filter for these kinds of links