iTunes 10.6.1 crashing on G5 running Leopard 10.5.8, on every launch

• Posted: 06 May 2012 10:37 AM

I am using iTunes 10.6.1, on a dual 1.42 Ghz, G5, running Leopard 10.5.8.
    I am now at the point that every time I open iTunes it crashes shortly after opening it. I trashed the .plist file for Itunes, it then allowed me to download one podcast before crashing again.

Here is what I want to know,

1-is there a way I can share iTunes library between my G5 and my MacBook Pro? I wondering to see if the crashing still persist if I bring my iTunes to my MacBook Pro and used it there to download my podcast and add new music to my iTunes library.

2-I don’t want to lose all my playlists trying to resolve the iTunes crashing issue.

Thanks in advance for your reply to my post.

Posted: 09 May 2012 11:00 AM #1

Hi Sebastian—To share your iTunes library with another computer, simply copy the entire ~/iTunes folder over, completely replacing the one on the new computer (make a backup of that first before you delete it, please! smile). Then simply launch iTunes and the new computer should see it. That *is* a good first test and should keep your playlists in tact.

If this crashes, or if you simply want to try the second option here first, a rebuild of your iTunes Library may be in order. The instructions are detailed at—Essentially you quit iTunes, trash your iTunes Library(.itl) file, launch iTunes, and then Import Playlist on the iTunes Library.xml file. That should rebuild it and keep your playlists, etc.

-Dave Hamilton / The Mac Observer / Mac Geek Gab / Dave on Twitter
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.