iTunes 10.6.1 crashing on G5 running Leopard 10.5.8, on every launch

• Posted: 06 May 2012 10:37 AM

I am using iTunes 10.6.1, on a dual 1.42 Ghz, G5, running Leopard 10.5.8.
    I am now at the point that every time I open iTunes it crashes shortly after opening it. I trashed the .plist file for Itunes, it then allowed me to download one podcast before crashing again.

Here is what I want to know,

1-is there a way I can share iTunes library between my G5 and my MacBook Pro? I wondering to see if the crashing still persist if I bring my iTunes to my MacBook Pro and used it there to download my podcast and add new music to my iTunes library.

2-I don’t want to lose all my playlists trying to resolve the iTunes crashing issue.

Thanks in advance for your reply to my post.

Sebastian

Posted: 09 May 2012 11:00 AM #1

Hi Sebastian—To share your iTunes library with another computer, simply copy the entire ~/iTunes folder over, completely replacing the one on the new computer (make a backup of that first before you delete it, please! smile). Then simply launch iTunes and the new computer should see it. That *is* a good first test and should keep your playlists in tact.

If this crashes, or if you simply want to try the second option here first, a rebuild of your iTunes Library may be in order. The instructions are detailed at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1451—Essentially you quit iTunes, trash your iTunes Library(.itl) file, launch iTunes, and then Import Playlist on the iTunes Library.xml file. That should rebuild it and keep your playlists, etc.

Signature

-Dave Hamilton / The Mac Observer / Mac Geek Gab / Dave on Twitter
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.