MacBook refresh

• Posted: 09 May 2012 01:45 PM

Is there any reason the refreshed MBPs and MBAs this summer wouldn’t include versions with cellular data capabilities? This seems like an obvious innovation, especially with the coming “family data plans” from the carriers, but really I don’t know much about the issue.

Posted: 09 May 2012 02:36 PM #1

Why create new skus with all the headaches of inventory management, when people who want Mobile access can get a USB stick?

• Posted: 09 May 2012 02:43 PM #2

Nevyn - 09 May 2012 05:36 PM

Why create new skus with all the headaches of inventory management, when people who want Mobile access can get a USB stick?

I was thinking the higher end MBP would include the cellular data capability, so it wouldn’t increase the number of skus. Apple does it for iPad, why not for MBPs? Is the issue insufficient demand?

Wouldn’t this approach make the carriers even more dependent on/cooperative with Apple, giving Apple even more bargaining power, e,g, wrt iPhone subsidies.

• Posted: 09 May 2012 02:59 PM #3

I think there is a demand issue, especially with the emergence of the iPad and iPhone.  Those are your mobile devices now, not your MBP, which has network access for most of it useful life.  On top of that, the carriers are not helping with capped data plans, and ruinous fees.  Lots of people would use cellular on a MBP, only as a last resort, which impacts demand in a big way in my opinion.

• Posted: 09 May 2012 03:03 PM #4

Lstream - 09 May 2012 05:59 PM

I think there is a demand issue, especially with the emergence of the iPad and iPhone.  Those are your mobile devices now, not your MBP, which has network access for most of it useful life.  On top of that, the carriers are not helping with capped data plans, and ruinous fees.  Lots of people would use cellular on a MBP, only as a last resort, which impacts demand in a big way in my opinion.

Thanks for the response. I guess I have to distinguish between my personal wishlist and everyone else’s.

Posted: 10 May 2012 12:35 PM #5

I can’t speak for anyone else but I don’t want cell data on my next MacBook Pro. Heck my iPad is WiFi only. I have WiFi everywhere I go.

Signature

Courage is not the absence of fear, that’s insanity.
    Courage is knowing the risks and dangers.
    And doing what needs to be done anyway.

• Posted: 10 May 2012 03:01 PM #6

I was thinking that cellular data capabilities on Apple laptops, along with family cellular data plans, would let more people cut the cord (at least those who don’t watch a lot of video). But these capabilities don’t seem very popular on this message board. Checking around, they don’t seem very popular anywhere else either. Only 10 percent of iPads that have been sold had 3G/4G.

http://www.zimbio.com/New+Mobile+Phones/articles/JfbWFgQlgMT/Just+10+iPads+owners+paying+3G+4G+data

Thanks for letting me think this through on the message board. I guess Apple won’t be making a cellular-capable laptop anytime soon.

[ Edited: 10 May 2012 03:05 PM by gliderplane ]      
  • Posted: 10 May 2012 06:49 PM #7

Gliderplane,
    I think once shared LTE data plans with much higher caps become the standard, you might see Apple make this move. Then again, once those kind of data plans become available the carriers probably take all the limitations off the iPhone/iPad acting as wireless hub so your laptop gets access that way.

• Posted: 10 May 2012 06:58 PM #8

Gliderplane,
    I think once shared LTE data plans with much higher caps become the standard, you might see Apple make this move. Then again, once those kind of data plans become available the carriers probably take all the limitations off the iPhone/iPad acting as wireless hub so your laptop gets access that way.

Posted: 11 May 2012 05:23 PM #9

I am hoping for USB3 on the next Macbooks.  It should be free with the new Ivy bridge chipsets.

Thunderbolt is nice, but the devices are too expensive.

Posted: 14 May 2012 09:53 AM #10

A very detailed rumor.

Apple readies revamped 15-inch MacBook Pro: Retina Display, ultra-thin design, and super-fast USB 3

30 minutes later this next rumor appears. There is no chance they will hit those battery life and weight specs (9+ hours, < 1.5 lbs.) for a convertible laptop. They’ll have a hard enough time building a tablet with those specs.

Intel Windows 8 tablets to hit retail stores in November