Spinning Beach ball

• Posted: 19 May 2012 11:12 AM

2008 late Mac Book Pro Lion. I have an admin account and regular user account. Just recently my admin account would take for ever to boot up, programs take minutes to open Spinning beach ball. My regular user account runs fine. How do I diagnose the problem. Any info would be great.

Thanks

Posted: 22 May 2012 02:30 PM #1

This sounds remarkably similar to a lot of the “upgraded my Core 2 Duo machine from Snow Leopard to Lion using the default upgrade path” issues we’ve seen.

The *solution* is, unfortunately, to do a clean Lion install and then migrate your data (migration assistant, in this way, seems to have worked fine for many/most folks—it’s the default upgrade path that’s the problem).

One workaround that the daughter of Mac Geek Gab listener Michael stumbled upon was to hit the keyboard volume up/down/mute buttons. For whatever reason (and we’ve conjectured about this on MGG), this seems to free up the Mac from its spinning beach ball mode pretty much immediately. Curious to hear if it works for you.

Signature

-Dave Hamilton / The Mac Observer / Mac Geek Gab / Dave on Twitter
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.

• Posted: 22 May 2012 03:37 PM #2

Thanks for the reply, I’ll give the volume buttons a try.
    Thanks again

• Posted: 22 May 2012 03:51 PM #3

I tried the volume up/down/mute buttons, pressing them did stop the spinning ball but after a few more tries the volume buttons just froze up.

Thanks

Posted: 22 May 2012 04:28 PM #4

Thanks for the quick replies. This simply confirms my theory that there’s something wacky going on with interrupts in Lion, specifically when it’s been upgraded from Snow Leopard. Very ... odd.

Signature

• Posted: 22 May 2012 05:22 PM #5

A few day’s ago I installed 120 gig ssd a fresh copy of lion as my main drive. Moved my old drive to a Data Doubled form OWC. Every is humming along well. Being I can still boot to my old drive I was curious to find my problem. I guess no sense wasting my time.

Thanks for the reply Dave

• Posted: 23 May 2012 01:10 PM #6

I have similar issues at work which I solved by repairing user folder permissions. This is not repaired by disk utility, you have to use “reset password” function in system install:  http://www.fixkb.com/2011/08/reset-home-folder-permissions.html

@GregGehr

Posted: 23 May 2012 01:17 PM #7

Thanks, Greg. That’s an interesting possible solution here. I’m going to try that on the iMac at the house that seems to occasionally suffer from this. And yes, that’s the steps to take but, of course, I’d be remiss in *my* job if I didn’t link to the article here at TMO that details the process complete with screenshots (with thanks to MGG Jim wink) http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/how_to_resolve_user-level_permissions_issues_mac_os_x/

Signature

• Posted: 23 May 2012 01:23 PM #8

This also happens on the 2011 MBP as well, and may not manifest itself often/always.  Normally one application locks then, then it starts cascading to every other application that access the hard drive.  As any ssh connections are still happy while mail, browsers, dock, finder, etc are locking solid.

It has been annoying, but it happens every 2 - 4 weeks so it isn’t horrible.  Just bothersome.  I suspect I’ll do a clean install when Mountain Lion appears.

• Posted: 23 May 2012 01:28 PM #9

Thanks for the reply I’ll try this also.

• Posted: 23 May 2012 02:24 PM #10

Oops, sorry Dave.  I should have have searched for and posted your site link for that fix, but I was on my iPhone and it was a “quick and dirty” post.  I like your link/tip article better, screen shots are always much more informative!

If this fixes the problem (or not) for anyone reading this, come back and let us know.

@GregGehr

[ Edited: 23 May 2012 03:32 PM by GregGehr ]      

Posted: 24 May 2012 12:51 AM #11

I’ve never as much trouble with an OS in my life, as I have with Lion.  The latest is driving me nuts.  Launch Services just won’t cooperate with my choices for apps to open file types.  Log out or restart, and zap, it’s all gone.

A friend talked me through finding and moving the com.apple.LaunchServices-0340.csstore file, reboot, rebuild Launch Services etc., and while I followed it closely, it was a total disaster, in that I had to zero out the drive, reinstall Lion, and clone back from my SuperDuper drive. Productive days were lost.  Even then, everything was sluggish, so I now use and external as my boot drive.  And that’s still with Launch Services not working.

In case it doesn’t show, I am royally pissed off with Lion and Apple.  If I hadn’t used a Mac since 1984, I may have moved on to another platform by now, and from what I’ve read, I don’t think Mountain Lion is going to be any better.

[ Edited: 24 May 2012 12:54 AM by iJack ]

Signature

“A body in motion at a constant velocity will remain in motion until pushed out of bounds by the Strong Safety.”    ~  Issac Newton’s First Law of Physics