Lion 10.7.4 Mac Pro /private/var/vm/SleepImage

Posted: 21 May 2012 06:13 AM

Does anyone know why my Mac Pro (2009) running 10.7.4 would have a sleepimage file ?

I thought SleepImage was a feature for portables.

I’m trying to track down a wake from sleep issue where my Mac Pro wakes it’s self up in the middle of the night (early AM) but freezes. Screens are dark/off and I have to do the 7 second power button trick to force a shutdown.

I recently switched from SL 10.6.8 to Lion by upgrading but got the sleep/freezes so I did a Clean Install of Lion but still haven’t isolated the sleep/freeze issue yet….

Signature

Smile they said, it could be worse. So we did, and it was!

• Posted: 21 May 2012 11:01 AM #1

You’re right, it looks like desktop Macs are not supposed to have a sleepimage file. However if you’ve migrated from a laptop it looks like it can happen “accidentally.” There’s some more info in this Apple discussion thread, as well as a method of disabling it:
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2767273?start=0&tstart=0

Posted: 21 May 2012 11:18 AM #2

David Nelson - 21 May 2012 02:01 PM

You’re right, it looks like desktop Macs are not supposed to have a sleepimage file. However if you’ve migrated from a laptop it looks like it can happen “accidentally.” There’s some more info in this Apple discussion thread, as well as a method of disabling it:
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2767273?start=0&tstart=0

David

The odd thing is I didn’t migrate from a laptop.

I did a clean install of 10.7.0, and then applied the 10.7.3 combo update.

So the question remains, why did Lion create the SleepImage…...

I’m sure my Mac Pro doesn’t look at all like a MacBook/MacBook Pro/Mac Air
    Would be kinda cool if I had the grunt + RAM + ports + storage of my Mac Pro in a laptop but that is a couple of years away….........

[ Edited: 21 May 2012 11:27 AM by furbies ]

Signature

Smile they said, it could be worse. So we did, and it was!