Weekend Updates

• Posted: 28 May 2012 05:17 PM #76

Interesting reading on Memorial Day.  http://www.mondaynote.com/2012/05/27/decoding-share-prices-amazon-apple-and-facebook/

More and more people are waking up to the “disconnect” between Apple’s earnings performance and its subterranean P/E ratio.  The chart below is included in the article, illustrating the folly of Amazon’s valuation. 

I’m quite confident of two things this year:  Apple’s P/E will rise and Amazon’s will fall.

Image Attachments

Screen Shot 2012-05-28 at 1.08.43 PM.png

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

• Posted: 28 May 2012 05:44 PM #77

Bloomberg is reporting red futures on its website, but futures are green everywhere else.  Curiously, Bloomberg is green on its mobile app. 

Someone took the day off?

Edit:  Bloomberg fixed things.  We’re green again on the desktop.

[ Edited: 28 May 2012 05:57 PM by ByeTMO ]

• Posted: 28 May 2012 08:27 PM #78

Mercel - 25 May 2012 10:58 PM

It appears we’re not alone in being a little down on CNBC.  Check out the comments following Joe “Terrible” Terranova’s segment on Fast Money in which he broad brushes the tech sector based on DELL’s lackluster earnings.  HooHaa….

http://www.cnbc.com/id/47557682

I don’t have a problem with Terranova’s comments.  “Tech” hasn’t offered the enterprise anything of significance to warrant large upgrades of infrastructure. The world’s economy remains sft (hopefully the bank meltdown, coupled with a lack of fiscal responsibility, will change attitudes about credit worthiness and deficit spending).

It is going to take an extremely long time to completely absorb the fiscal mistakes made between 1998 and 2007.  It will take even longer if we don’t reduce spending and national debt, NOW.

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

• Posted: 28 May 2012 09:50 PM #79

Mav - 26 May 2012 08:23 PM

I like Gene more than I don’t.

Some of us still remember his astoundingly wrong 45M iPhones in 2009 call though.  Remember, he’s the one who gets paid to analyze AAPL.

He mostly gets Apple.  I agree that most criticism should be saved for the idiots like Zabitsky.

I remember that. He made that call mid 2008 (when nodoby had a realistic clue how many Apple could sell). The only estimate that was worse than that one, was all the others that grossly under estimated iPhone sales.

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.