iPanel NOT

Posted: 25 May 2012 09:00 PM

http://gigaom.com/apple/bigger-than-an-iphone-yet-smaller-than-an-ipad-the-next-appletv/

No idea if there’s any truth in this concept but it sounds great and really makes a lot of sense.

Just an aside one of my favorite apple talk sources is the mac section of Zite for iPad.

Signature

“My mind hovers on hummingbird wings.”  D. Eggers

• Posted: 26 May 2012 01:36 PM #1

Quite a piece.  Not at all what I thought an Apple TV would be, but really really nice.

Posted: 26 May 2012 02:34 PM #2

Getting away from set-top boxes, Apple is looking to re-define the way that we interact with the television set.

It sounds like they’re starting with a major assumption that Apple will be able to bypass the cable/satellite companies. All the various technical issues they talk about are relatively simple compared to this primary task. I trust Apple to come up with a great solution, but it’s not happening until they can get the cooperation of the content deliverers and/or creators.

As for the “Bigger than an iPhone, yet smaller than an iPad” device, I still think a larger iPod touch makes more sense than a smaller iPad. The iPad is selling faster than Apple can make them. There’s no need to mess with that. The iPod line, on the other hand, could use a little rocket fuel. A $299 iPod touch 7” would send iPod sales into the stratosphere.

Posted: 26 May 2012 06:41 PM #3

a 7” iPod Touch would put a smile on the face of every kid we know…

only time and Apple will be able to tell us what’s coming next.  And no doubt it will be interesting.

I still like the concept of Apple not doing an actual TV…the part of the article that really made the most sense to me was when the writer was talking about the idea of a room full of people all gesturing and commanding Siri simultaneously and how that just would not be very workable.

Signature

“My mind hovers on hummingbird wings.”  D. Eggers

Posted: 27 May 2012 08:07 PM #4

Drew Bear - 26 May 2012 05:34 PM

I still think a larger iPod touch makes more sense than a smaller iPad.

What, exactly, would be the difference between a larger iPod Touch and a smaller iPad, other than the iPod Touch not having cellular?

Posted: 27 May 2012 11:37 PM #5

PikesPique - 27 May 2012 11:07 PM

What, exactly, would be the difference between a larger iPod Touch and a smaller iPad, other than the iPod Touch not having cellular?

The user interface. What Steve said about a 7” screen being too small for the tablet UI still holds true. But he never said anything about the iPhone UI on a larger-than-3.5” screen.

I don’t know how true this might be, but Gruber was speculating that Apple could simply cut out a larger part from the exact same sheets of touchscreens that are made for the iPhone & iPod touch. Now he was referring to the 4” iPhone in this thought exercise, but what if the same idea could be applied to a 7” screen?

So instead of cutting out 2” x 3” screens, they’d cut out 4” x 6” screens. (Again, I don’t know if that is how it really works.) Same ppi screen, same aspect ratio, but 1920x1280 (instead of 960x640). I don’t know if they could maintain profit margins at $299. And I don’t know if Apple would want to throw yet another screen resolution at developers.