The Next Iphone - Rumor Central…

Posted: 29 May 2012 01:23 PM

We’ve done this before and it seemed to work to have a clearinghouse for all the rumors out there…So, post here about parts, capabilities, release dates, screen size, pixel counts, mysterious rumors out of the Chinese Press, etc.

To get us started….

http://9to5mac.com/2012/05/29/photos-black-and-white-next-generation-metal-iphone-backs-mini-dock-taller-screen-moved-earphone-jack-present/

Photos: Black and white next-gen metal iPhone backs, mini-dock, taller screen, moved earphone jack present

Earlier today, we posted the first image of the back plate for the next-generation iPhone, and now we have received several more images that are very high-resolution. These new shots showcase a comparison between the black and white versions of the next-generation iPhone back. The black and white coloring is, of course, a trim, and a large portion of the back ? as you can see ? is made out of metal. We are unsure at this point what purpose this metal serves (or if it is just a stylistic addition), but the metal is definitely present in all of our photos of the device?s back.

From a production standpoint, it appears that the metal antenna band is molded into the metal backplates. We assume this is Apple?s way of creating a unibody enclosure for mobile devices. Apple introduced unibody notebooks in late 2008, and the purpose of the unibody is to allow Apple to produce thinner and lighter, yet stronger, devices. Now that most of the phone?s external elements are one piece, Apple is likely able to squeeze more into the iPhone internally. Apple needs all the space they can get with their plans of producing LTE smartphones with proper battery life.

These photos also clearly show some of the features of the next-generation iPhone. The long rumored smaller dock connector is present, the earphone jack has been moved to the bottom corner of the device (the first time Apple has done this on one of their smartphones), the speaker grills have been redesigned, and there is a new opening between the camera lens and the LED flash. We?re not sure what this opening is, but it is possible that Apple is moving the second microphone (Apple started shipping two microphones with the iPhone 4) to the back for improved audio capture during video recording.

We also have photos of some of the next-generation iPhone parts, other than the black and white backs. The photo above is of a next-generation iPhone frame that holds in components such as the home button (which is definitely present). According to our supply chain sources, who obtained these parts, the frame indicates that the new iPhone will be the same width as the current 4 and 4S models, but it will be longer. This adds to our report in which we claimed the new iPhone would sport a taller screen with the same width. Sources say that the new iPhone?s interface will be redesigned to take advantage of the newly available screen real estate. The screen resolution is said to be 1136 x 640, with a screen size of 3.999 inches (diagonally)

Adding to that, above is a photo of what we believe to be the black next-generation iPhone front glass. According to our sources, this glass has room for a taller display with the same width as the screens on previous iPhone models. Notably it appears that the camera lens for the front (what Apple calls the FaceTime camera) has moved above the earpiece. It is now centered. From the above photo, we can also deduce that the rumored edge-to-edge technology is not coming in this iPhone (as previously rumored), and that Apple is definately testing these units with the Micro-SIM technology from the iPhone 4/4S (smaller SIMs ? and even no SIMs ? have been rumored). We?re expecting the new iPhone to launch alongside iOS 6 in the fall, complete with other rumored features like LTE and an improved processor.

[ Edited: 10 September 2012 08:05 PM by lovemyipad ]

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

Posted: 29 May 2012 03:08 PM #1

Some sources are suggesting a new display resolution of 640 x 1152 at an aspect ratio more fitting of HDTV content, while maintaining physical hardware dimensions similar to the iPhone 4/4s.

http://www.overdrivedesign.com/blog/2012/05/how-iphone-apps-will-benefit-from-a-4-screen-on-the-new-iphone/

The next one will hopefully work for older iPhones.

iOS 6: Apple drops Google Maps, debuts in-house ?Maps? with incredible 3D mode

According to trusted sources, Apple has an incredible headline feature in development for iOS 6: a completely in-house maps application.

http://9to5mac.com/2012/05/11/ios-6-apple-drops-google-maps-debuts-in-house-maps-with-incredible-3d-mode/

Posted: 29 May 2012 03:21 PM #2

Red Shirted Ensign - 29 May 2012 04:23 PM

...the frame indicates that the new iPhone will be the same width as the current 4 and 4S models, but it will be longer.

It’s hard to tell from the angle of the photo, but it seems to be not as awkward as some earlier photos of the physically taller phone.

http://9to5mac.com/2012/05/29/photos-black-and-white-next-generation-metal-iphone-backs-mini-dock-taller-screen-moved-earphone-jack-present/

Posted: 29 May 2012 04:00 PM #3

Those 9to5mac photo leaks look authentic. Anyone remember when the first 4S parts leaks first hit last year? This seems early for real parts to show up if the release date is Sep/Oct.

Fake parts? August release?

• Posted: 29 May 2012 04:16 PM #4

Drew Bear - 29 May 2012 07:00 PM

I think it will be released in October.
    It’s possible that they started making them already to keep up with demand on launch day/week/month(s)

Posted: 29 May 2012 04:19 PM #5

Those 9to5mac photo leaks look authentic. Anyone remember when the first 4S parts leaks first hit last year? This seems early for real parts to show up if the release date is Sep/Oct.

The problem last year was that so many people were focused on a change in form factor (big screen, teardrop shape), that what might have been legitimate but minor changes in the 4s (like the antenna band) could have been overlooked. There was much more hype and concern about the presumed release date, early summer, which muddied the water a lot.

Signature

Posted: 29 May 2012 04:38 PM #6

Ok, last year is not a good comparison. And of course the pre-iPhone 4 leak in 2010 was the infamous lost-in-a-bar drama.

Maybe piotroosh has it right: they need to start making the parts 2-3 months ahead of time to prepare for the massive production ramp.

BTW, anyone notice that label on the back is simply “iPhone”? No #5 designation.

• Posted: 29 May 2012 04:50 PM #7

August or September.  I would be very surprised if it was later than that.

• Posted: 29 May 2012 05:21 PM #8

LOL Mmmm….rumor central it is:

The new Facebook phone?  :-D

Note to Spongie:  Sell before you have to pay out of pocket for commissions.

[ Edited: 29 May 2012 08:16 PM by ByeTMO ]      

Posted: 29 May 2012 05:42 PM #9

Mercel - 29 May 2012 08:21 PM

LOL Mmmm….rumor central it is:

Nice ankle bracelet.

What is that thing ?

Signature

Posted: 29 May 2012 05:44 PM #10

Keep in mind any pics could be from a “mule,” a fake body alpha or beta testing the innards. They have to do it to road test cars in real-world conditions, just as they have to with phones so they don’t have antenna issues.

Chevrolet Corvette C7 mule caught testing

With cars, they tend to just put a bunch of fake body panels covered by bra-type materials. But with Apple’s fab lab abilities and the tiny size of a phone, more real-looking mock-ups are easy to churn out.

I’d be very surprised if those photos actually represent the final shipping phone, especially after the lost phone debacles of the past.

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007

Posted: 29 May 2012 07:18 PM #11

That smaller dock connector is interesting.  Thunderbolt I/O compatibility?  Sure Apple always needs space, but the dock connector has done well for years now.  And imagine the outcry from the “I can’t use my accessories with it anymore!” people.  Though really, a change in the dock connector form factor almost feels overdue, given the way Apple usually innovates.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 29 May 2012 07:20 PM #12

Drew Bear - 29 May 2012 07:38 PM

BTW, anyone notice that label on the back is simply “iPhone”? No #5 designation.

What, wha?  You…do have an iPhone, right Drew?

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 29 May 2012 07:57 PM #13

Mav - 29 May 2012 10:20 PM
    Drew Bear - 29 May 2012 07:38 PM

What, wha?  You…do have an iPhone, right Drew?

:dunce: Sorry, Mav. It’s been a while since I looked at the back of my iPhone. For some reason I thought there was a 4S back there.

• Posted: 29 May 2012 08:14 PM #14

Mav - 29 May 2012 10:18 PM

That smaller dock connector is interesting.  Thunderbolt I/O compatibility?  Sure Apple always needs space, but the dock connector has done well for years now.  And imagine the outcry from the “I can’t use my accessories with it anymore!” people.  Though really, a change in the dock connector form factor almost feels overdue, given the way Apple usually innovates.

It’s called an adaptor.

Posted: 29 May 2012 08:22 PM #15

Apple isn’t big on dongles, though yes, the bridge would be necessary.

Good luck with all the fixed dock items, though.  My iHome?  Now just an iClock!

(Which isn’t that big a deal really.)

Ah, but my iPad 3 adapter?  Which charges my iPhone nice ‘n fast?  THAT needing a dongle?  And all those dock connector solutions for cars, including *cough* snap-in adapters for higher-end cars with a very specific fit?

Some pain is inevitable, though it’ll be worth the PR/inconvenience hit in the end.  The dock connector really has had an amazing run.  It’s evolved over time of course, but - 9 years!  And it’s guaranteed to be around with legacy products for over 10!

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.