The Next Iphone - Rumor Central…

• Posted: 29 May 2012 08:55 PM #16

Mav - 29 May 2012 11:22 PM

Apple isn’t big on dongles, though yes, the bridge would be necessary.

Good luck with all the fixed dock items, though.  My iHome?  Now just an iClock!

(Which isn’t that big a deal really.)

Ah, but my iPad 3 adapter?  Which charges my iPhone nice ‘n fast?  THAT needing a dongle?  And all those dock connector solutions for cars, including *cough* snap-in adapters for higher-end cars with a very specific fit?

Some pain is inevitable, though it’ll be worth the PR/inconvenience hit in the end.  The dock connector really has had an amazing run.  It’s evolved over time of course, but - 9 years!  And it’s guaranteed to be around with legacy products for over 10!

I own the Zeppelin Air and I’m sure an adaptor will be the easy-smeasy fix.  Or, I just stay with my current iPod nano to feed the speakers.

Posted: 30 May 2012 02:25 PM #17

More speculation…

http://9to5mac.com/2012/05/30/next-gen-iphone-schematic-shows-4-inch-display-repositioned-facetime-camera/

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

• Posted: 31 May 2012 04:37 AM #18

Waterproof is one rumour. It would account for headphone socket on the bottom, and new dock connector design. At the bottom of the phone all the parts that let water in can be separate and replaceable, preventing water entry into the main body of the phone.

I think dropping into water is the main cause of iPhone failure, and the only reason Apple won’t fix for free. Waterproof would be a big benefit, and if the machined unibody is really true, the phone will be extremely robust too.

Posted: 31 May 2012 01:12 PM #19

sleepygeek - 31 May 2012 07:37 AM

Waterproof is one rumour. It would account for headphone socket on the bottom, and new dock connector design. At the bottom of the phone all the parts that let water in can be separate and replaceable, preventing water entry into the main body of the phone.

I think dropping into water is the main cause of iPhone failure, and the only reason Apple won’t fix for free. Waterproof would be a big benefit, and if the machined unibody is really true, the phone will be extremely robust too.

There are plenty of super hydrophobic coatings coming to market so I wouldn’t be suprised but my favorite was covered by Patently Apple

This particular patent is about a water proofing sealing process that they describe as being an interfacial layer and seal. The intimate contact provided by this interfacial layer and seal can be used for a variety of applications. The interfacial layer/alloy can function as solder mass, case sealing, electrical lead for air tight or water-proof application, rivet, bonding, fastening parts together.?

An interfacial layer and seal can be a part of an electronic device, such as, for example, a part of the housing of the device or an electrical interconnector. For example, in one embodiment, the interfacial layer or seal can be used to connect and bond two parts of the housing of an electronic device and create a seal that is impermeable to fluid, effectively rendering the device water proof and air tight such that fluid cannot enter the interior of the device.

• Posted: 31 May 2012 01:24 PM #20

sleepygeek - 31 May 2012 07:37 AM

If you think waterproof is coming, ZAGG is the way to play it. They own a large chunk of a company called HZO that seems to be a leader in this area for electronic devices.

Edit - didn’t see Pats’ post before I posted this. He has another idea obviously.

Posted: 31 May 2012 02:42 PM #21

I’m too lazy to find it but I came across a seeking alpha article from a guy that was using some prev. comments from apple and patent apps that made him think this iPhone will be edge to edge screen.

Essentially the phone will be a solid piece of glass that is lit from behind and there will be no edges or borders .  I don’t know what this would do for the home button but this would explain all the noise about bigger screen. but not a bigger size.  I suspect if this is true then the iPad would follow with the same thing.

Eric in Austin

Posted: 31 May 2012 02:52 PM #22

Not that lazy after all .  Here is the link.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/431461-what-might-apple-s-iphone-5-look-like

I take these articles with a grain of salt of course but I like this guy and this might be a good guess on the next phone. 

Might be really georgous if this turns out.

The problem with expecting big design changes from a company that works toward pure clean simple designs is there is not a lot of room to make changes once you have stripped the machine down to it’s Zen essence so regardless of the changes there will be a group that says it is only an incremental change.

Posted: 31 May 2012 08:02 PM #23

Taller, Next Gen Iphone front caught on video (its like a sasquatch sighting)....

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/05/31/taller-next-generation-iphone-front-panel-caught-on-video/

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

Posted: 31 May 2012 11:47 PM #24

Appleinsider has some speculation on the RF section which looks to be a reasonable expectation
    Appleinsider

Posted: 01 June 2012 01:34 AM #25

Red Shirted Ensign - 31 May 2012 11:02 PM

Taller, Next Gen Iphone front caught on video (its like a sasquatch sighting)....

I prefer the version with the 4S frame size and 4” screen, but I imagine most consumers won’t mind the taller frame. It would still look small compared to most high-end Android phones. Take a look at the iPhone next to the Galaxy S3 or HTC One X.

Posted: 01 June 2012 03:42 AM #26

Could I live with a taller iPhone?

Let’s put it this way:  Battery, battery, battery.  So it’s that, or thicker, or the iPhone looking like the 3rd gen iPod nano.

If iPhone is getting bigger, it’s getting taller.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 01 June 2012 10:27 AM #27

I don’t understand the obsession that Some have with larger screens. I want a phone that I can fit in my pocket. I would be happy with the screen left at 3.5”, but that’s obviously not going to happen.

• Posted: 01 June 2012 11:25 AM #28

It’s pretty easy after all. With the new radios, they need a bigger battery, hence they need a bigger case. Making it thicker is not acceptable, so they make it longer, with a larger screen that is the least disruptive to interface and app developers because it has the same width as always.

• Posted: 01 June 2012 11:29 AM #29

Mav - 01 June 2012 06:42 AM

Could I live with a taller iPhone?

Let’s put it this way:  Battery, battery, battery.  So it’s that, or thicker, or the iPhone looking like the 3rd gen iPod nano.

If iPhone is getting bigger, it’s getting taller.

The leaked images?  I think they’re fake.  The new iPhone should be wider and taller.

• Posted: 01 June 2012 05:11 PM #30

lulli - 01 June 2012 02:25 PM

It’s pretty easy after all. With the new radios, they need a bigger battery, hence they need a bigger case. Making it thicker is not acceptable, so they make it longer, with a larger screen that is the least disruptive to interface and app developers because it has the same width as always.

Spot on!