The Next Iphone - Rumor Central…

• Posted: 28 August 2012 03:39 PM #166

Over on the appleinsider forum for the NFC chip rumor, which I guess has been debunked, there’s some interesting speculation about fingerprint sensors. 

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/152147/rumor-nfc-chip-spotted-in-photos-of-purported-next-gen-iphone-front-assembly

Anyone here have any thoughts on the “slot” on the back top of the new iPhone?  It seems like there is some long rectangular component there that needs to be right up against the glass.

Posted: 28 August 2012 03:50 PM #167

aaplexcelsior - 28 August 2012 06:39 PM

Over on the appleinsider forum for the NFC chip rumor, which I guess has been debunked, there’s some interesting speculation about fingerprint sensors.

Hope springs eternal :D

I have to say it’s the one killer feature I’m really pulling for. I hate passwords… ESPECIALLY on phones.

Signature

Long AAPL Short ME 5’3

Posted: 28 August 2012 08:28 PM #168

No NFC on iPhone next?  It really doesn’t feel like phone payments are ready to go yet anyway.  Not a big deal at all.  Apple is infamous for being late to the party (iPhones and iPads) yet still removing most of competitors’ oxygen quite nicely.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 28 August 2012 10:15 PM #169

cambrose - 28 August 2012 03:58 PM
    Mercel - 28 August 2012 03:42 PM
    adamthompson32 - 28 August 2012 03:38 PM

No NFC in next iPhone.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/08/28/apples_next_iphone_not_expected_to_feature_nfc_technology.html

No NFC in iPhone 5

Confirmed today by Jim’s “Yep”

Very likely no fingerprint scanner either then. Know it is a longshot, but would be a killer feature and very Apple-like to eliminate passcodes and maybe one day passwords. Wonder what the new killer features are going to be for this phone then? Processor/RAM/LTE/Display? Is that it?

Think Intel’s tick-tock iterative process.  Apply to Apple’s seasonality and FOTM challenges.  It could go something like:

Tick - Form factor change, evolutionary functionality improvements.
    Tock - Shape retention, deeper functionality changes.

The first year of a phone design is always huge demand, the second year slower.  This year is a great example.  It would make perfect sense to me for Apple to sandbag a killer feature or two.

Posted: 28 August 2012 10:45 PM #170

LongAAPLsince02 - 29 August 2012 01:15 AM

Think Intel’s tick-tock iterative process.  Apply to Apple’s seasonality and FOTM challenges.  It could go something like:

Tick - Form factor change, evolutionary functionality improvements.
    Tock - Shape retention, deeper functionality changes.

The first year of a phone design is always huge demand, the second year slower.  This year is a great example.  It would make perfect sense to me for Apple to sandbag a killer feature or two.

For every model since the iPhone 3GS, we’ve consistently received…

+ Processor upgrade
    + Camera upgrade
    + Radio upgrade

3GS to 4 Killer Feature

+ Retina display
    + Facetime (front facing camera)

4 to 4S Killer Feature

+ Siri (not hardware - maybe not a killer feature… yet)

Seems like there should be some killer hardware feature in the 4S to 5 transition. I don’t count a slightly larger screen as a killer feature… more incremental like the other consistent upgrades.

I still expect to see something WOW!

[ Edited: 28 August 2012 10:48 PM by cambrose ]

Signature

Long AAPL Short ME 5’3

Posted: 28 August 2012 10:47 PM #171

I say Anand from AnandTech is wrong about zero improvement in speeds n’ feeds for the next iPhone.  I wouldn’t count a RAM boost as a “speed” thing, it technically just helps keep things speedier for longer (and buffer more webpages/apps, etc).

A5X derivative is most likely, with a meaningful boost in graphics power (50% or preferably closer to 100% more than the previous gen) because otherwise, it’s just an iPhone 4S in a new shell with LTE (with more pixels to push around).  The new iPad is meaningfully different from iPad 2, and Apple knows the next iPhone has to follow that same path. 

Still not entirely sure why, if true, Apple is keeping battery capacity relatively small.  Battery life is one of the killer features of iPad.  Not so much for my 4S.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 29 August 2012 01:38 AM #172

Mav - 29 August 2012 01:47 AM

Still not entirely sure why, if true, Apple is keeping battery capacity relatively small.  Battery life is one of the killer features of iPad.  Not so much for my 4S.

IZGO screen uses one third the power?

Posted: 29 August 2012 01:42 AM #173

I sure hope we’re talking IGZO screen tech!

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 29 August 2012 10:47 AM #174

Mav - 29 August 2012 04:42 AM

I sure hope we’re talking IGZO screen tech!

I think we see the IGZO on the iPad first.  iPhone will stick with LTPS with integrated touch layer.  The IGZO would be a huge risk when switching the touch layer.  Power consumption should drop as the display should be more efficient.  Most of the power budget is sucked up by the backlighting so if they get better efficiency by have one less layer of glass, they save power.  As far as the speeds and feeds seems everyone forgets about frequency.  The current Cortex A9 runs at 800 MHZ, with a process shrink to 32NM we should be able to run at 1.2GHZ with the same power budget.  50% increase while not eye watering is plenty good..  We could also go to quad-core as the ARM core doesn’t add that much area to the die. The extra 2 PowerVR 543 cores are not needed IMO, unless they change display resolution significantly and all indications are it’s a minor change.  Plus if you bump the clock for the CPU you should be able to do the same with the GPU width the process shrink.

For the geeks I found a tech paper on smartphone battery consumption. Which looks at all the subcomponents and their impact on the power budget.

[ Edited: 29 August 2012 11:11 AM by pats ]      

Posted: 29 August 2012 11:42 AM #175

IGZO on the iPad mini/iPod touch to phase the tech in, then?  Or phased into current new iPads?

Apple doesn’t have too many lower-volume products to test against these days aside from iPod touch.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 29 August 2012 01:34 PM #176

Mav - 29 August 2012 02:42 PM

IGZO on the iPad mini/iPod touch to phase the tech in, then?  Or phased into current new iPads?

Apple doesn’t have too many lower-volume products to test against these days aside from iPod touch.

Sharp claimed they started production at the Kameyama Plant No. 2 in April

http://sharp-world.com/corporate/news/120413.html

but at their CC call. They said

2) Initiatives in Small- and Medium-size LCDs
    For small- and medium-size LCDs, the Mie Plant and the Tenri Plant are currently operating at full capacity to cope with burgeoning demand.
    The Kameyama No. 1 Plant is scheduled to begin mass production of small- and medium-size LCDs in August 2012.
    Although the Kameyama No. 2 Plant began production of new panels using IGZO technology in March 2012, its capacity utilization rate was low, due to a reduction in orders from major customers and a revision of a product commercialization schedule, requested by a ?design-in? business partner. The losses incurred by such low-capacity operation resulted in lower-than-projected profits for the first quarter and also affected the forecasts full-year.

The Kameyama 1 is a Gen 6 LTPS plant and the Kameyama 2 is a Gen 8 just converted to IGZO.

Posted: 31 August 2012 02:12 AM #178

adamthompson32 - 31 August 2012 04:32 AM

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444914904577622420471289302.html?ru=yahoo&mod=yahoo_hs

hmmm….not ideal.

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics

• Posted: 31 August 2012 10:40 PM #179

Tall and thin, the New iPhone 5.  Coming soon near an Apple line near you.

Posted: 31 August 2012 11:10 PM #180

iPhone next or iPhone next S? 

If Apple reallllllllllly makes me want the new iPhone, I’ll say Mission Accomplished.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.