The Next Iphone - Rumor Central…

Posted: 06 September 2012 12:31 PM #196

Big Al - 06 September 2012 10:20 AM

How many more iPhone 5s could Apple sell in a week? Maybe 2 million?

In the first two quarters after launch, as many as they can build. So at least 5 million depending on production ramps.

*side note: the Preview Post feature doesn’t work as well as before.

Posted: 06 September 2012 12:48 PM #197

An accelerated launch schedule would be dramatic for stock price.  What we would have are two groups of launches: Apple online and Apple partners. 

That said, I assign a low probability to an accelerated launch.

Posted: 06 September 2012 08:06 PM #198

Here’s a iPhone 5 mockup side by side comparison with the Sammy Galaxy III

http://micgadget.com/29561/chinese-site-presents-side-by-side-comparison-between-iphone-5-oppo-finder-galaxy-s-iii/

Signature

Tim Cook: iPad is 91% of all tablet web traffic. I don’t know what these other tablets are doing.

Posted: 08 September 2012 07:26 PM #199

Passbook, Delta Airlines and American Airlines

Apple Insider

A representative from American Airlines confirmed on Friday that its digital ticketing system will soon provide integration with Apple’s Passbook app, while Delta is rumored to also be rolling out support following the debut of iOS 6.

According to travel website Skift, the two airlines will be offering support in the coming weeks, though it is unclear if the added functionality will be ready in time for the unveiling of Apple’s next-generation iPhone and subsequent iOS 6 debut, both expected to be announced at a special event next week.

An American Airlines representative said the carrier will be “rolling out an app update in the coming weeks in support of Passbook. In the meantime, customers can still access their mobile boarding passes in the current version of American’s mobile app.”

The publication said Delta is also “actively working” on Passbook functionality, noting the airline’s first travel app was released for iOS in 2010.

The news comes on the heels of a report claiming Virgin Australia has unofficially implemented Passbook compatibility. In what is thought to be one of the first instances of a successful airline-supported Passbook transaction, a Virgin Australia flier checked in to and used a boarding pass stored in Passbook to get on a recent flight from Adelaide.

Posted: 08 September 2012 07:32 PM #200

afterglow - 06 September 2012 08:06 PM

Here’s a iPhone 5 mockup side by side comparison with the Sammy Galaxy III

http://micgadget.com/29561/chinese-site-presents-side-by-side-comparison-between-iphone-5-oppo-finder-galaxy-s-iii/

Mockup iPhone 5 is holding its own pretty well.  rolleyes LOL

The iPhone 5 could be even more “disappointing” than the iPhone 4S.  Bring it on.  LOL

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 09 September 2012 12:11 PM #201

The larger iPhone size would be for me a prime incentive to upgrade phones.  Except that a smaller iPad is even better.    Any word on iPod touches ?

• Posted: 09 September 2012 12:38 PM #202

I find it interesting how many sites focus on screen size and thickness.  Personally i think the user interface and software are far more important features ... when you can’t compete in that area you make it bigger and tout screen size. 

As far as I’m concerned my iPhone4 is already perfect in form .... I really don’t need a bigger screen or for it to be any thinner.  That said, I’ll be happy buying the iphone 5 as soon as it comes out ... improved SIRI and a few other features will be the reason .. not screen size.

I’ve looked at the Galaxy 4S and found it to be too big ... there is a optimum size for a phone and once again I believe Apple already got it right with previous generations.

Ready for the Wednesday launch and all of the blithering fools who will immediately claim that Apple has “lost it’s magic” because the phone doesn’t cure cancer, make you a sandwich, or ... well insert whatever you like here.  Selloff to ensue .... and then we will be at ATH within a month or so when the initial sales figures come out.  Just keep in mind what happened with the introduction of the iPhone4S .

Good luck to the longs !

[ Edited: 09 September 2012 03:21 PM by Gtrplyr ]      

Posted: 10 September 2012 07:45 PM #203

The only dissapointment i can see occuring at the event is a lack of LTE, but I think that is unlikely.

There is maybe a very slim outside chance that the $199 16GB version dosent have LTE, and only the 32/64 GB models at $299/$399 have it.

This would be very good for margins and would mean the 16GB $199 model has a cheaper build cost, have better battery life, and would be more suitable for the 90% of the global market that dont have LTE networks yet.

Thoughts?

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics

Posted: 10 September 2012 07:46 PM #204

<delete>

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple

Posted: 10 September 2012 07:50 PM #205

Apple will never, ever, EVER fragment new iPhone models by anything but GB capacity.  Hasn’t since 2007.  Not likely to start now.

It’s like releasing a new iPad (at a given screen size) with a “Pro” edition, or the Retina iPad in late 2011 rumor.  Does that sound like something Apple would ever do with such key iOS products?  (Not the same as an iPad mini introduction.)

LTE is easy.  It’s like on the new iPad.  When the market in question doesn’t support it, it’s just plain off.  There’ll be DC-HSDPA (enhanced “4G”) or regular ol’ 3G CDMA fallback.  The LTE radios will just be inactive and any power drain will be minimal.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 10 September 2012 08:26 PM #206

Mav - 10 September 2012 07:50 PM

Apple will never, ever, EVER fragment new iPhone models by anything but GB capacity.  Hasn’t since 2007.  Not likely to start now.

It’s like releasing a new iPad (at a given screen size) with a “Pro” edition, or the Retina iPad in late 2011 rumor.  Does that sound like something Apple would ever do with such key iOS products?  (Not the same as an iPad mini introduction.)

LTE is easy.  It’s like on the new iPad.  When the market in question doesn’t support it, it’s just plain off.  There’ll be DC-HSDPA (enhanced “4G”) or regular ol’ 3G CDMA fallback.  The LTE radios will just be inactive and any power drain will be minimal.

I hope your right Mav - although it might improve margins (by pushing some people up to the $299 model), I think it would be a negative in consumer reaction. The only other reason I can think of why it would happen is if there was a too small supply of baseband chips from suppliers, and the only way to solve the demand problem is to limit it to higher end models.

its interesting how we think of iphone models - I agree there is no fragmentation (outside of GB storage) - but then if you were living under a rock and were looking at the current iphone lineup for the first time, you would say that the iPhone 4 & iPhone 4-S are obviously the same phone - but one has sligtly better hardware specs. Just because they were released a year apart we consider them as different models completely, but you could argue that they are the same phone, fragmented.

Just imagined if Apple released the “iPhone 5” AND the “iPhone 5-S” on Wednesday (that would be insane)  but in 12 months time it will presumably be exactly what the lineup will be.

[ Edited: 10 September 2012 08:29 PM by Burgess ]

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple

• Posted: 10 September 2012 08:40 PM #207

Burgess - 10 September 2012 08:26 PM

its interesting how we think of iphone models - I agree there is no fragmentation (outside of GB storage) - but then if you were living under a rock and were looking at the current iphone lineup for the first time, you would say that the iPhone 4 & iPhone 4-S are obviously the same phone - but one has sligtly better hardware specs. Just because they were released a year apart we consider them as different models completely, but you could argue that they are the same phone, fragmented.

Just imagined if Apple released the “iPhone 5” AND the “iPhone 5-S” on Wednesday (that would be insane)  but in 12 months time it will presumably be exactly what the lineup will be.

I think that is right. My hope and belief is that everyone at Apple sees what we see… and probably well ahead of us. i would guess: expect the unexpected regarding iPhone’s future.

Posted: 10 September 2012 09:03 PM #208

OK, seriously?

Slightly better specs?  2x the CPU, 7x the GPU?  60% more camera MP and 1080p video?  That’s meaningful enough when you throw in “gimmicky” Siri.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 10 September 2012 09:20 PM #209

Mav, I know you are just jousting because you don’t care about specs but I agree with you that the iPhone 5 is going to do just fine.

Edited to add: I simply agree w your prev arguments that specs are Android’s thing.

[ Edited: 10 September 2012 09:26 PM by veritas ]      

Posted: 10 September 2012 09:25 PM #210

Mav - 10 September 2012 09:03 PM

OK, seriously?

Slightly better specs?  2x the CPU, 7x the GPU?  60% more camera MP and 1080p video?  That’s meaningful enough when you throw in “gimmicky” Siri.

im not disagreeing with you, I think the 4S is a great upgrade - i just think that most people view the physical nature of the 2 devices and if you didnt know when they were released then you would presume they were launched at the same time with 2 differnet specced models, seeing as they both look absolutely identical.

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple