The Next Iphone - Rumor Central…

• Posted: 29 July 2012 03:42 PM #91

Drew Bear - 29 July 2012 06:03 PM

The main changes that will draw iPhone 3GS & 4 users to upgrade are: larger screen, thinner chassis, LTE & overall speed. It’ll sell better than any previous new iPhone. And the iPhone 4 with Retina display for “free” at the big 3 U.S. carriers will draw new iPhone users in record numbers.

This image looks believable to me. If the rumor is true, the hardware is ready to go and waiting for iOS 6. Hopefully we see beta 4 in a few days.

iOS 6 will likely be waiting for the hardware given the # of iPhones Apple will need to build to meet initial demand.

Posted: 29 July 2012 05:23 PM #92

Mercel - 29 July 2012 06:42 PM

iOS 6 will likely be waiting for the hardware given the # of iPhones Apple will need to build to meet initial demand.

I have no idea how the manufacturing process works. Are you saying Apple will not have 10 million (or whatever number they deem necessary for the first week) iPhones ready by the time iOS 6 is ready to load? Or are you saying you don’t believe Apple is currently ramping up production of the new iPhone?

• Posted: 29 July 2012 11:08 PM #93

Drew Bear - 29 July 2012 08:23 PM
    Mercel - 29 July 2012 06:42 PM

I have no idea how the manufacturing process works. Are you saying Apple will not have 10 million (or whatever number they deem necessary for the first week) iPhones ready by the time iOS 6 is ready to load? Or are you saying you don’t believe Apple is currently ramping up production of the new iPhone?

I’m saying iOS6 will be ready before Apple has worked out all the kinks in manufacturing with iPhone 5 AND has at least 5M of iPhones built around the announcement, which I think will be 10 days to 2 weeks ahead of launch.  With a 3-4M weekly production run rate, Apple could have 10M ready at launch.

Posted: 30 July 2012 12:39 AM #94

I think a surprising number of pundits would understand if Apple shipped a significant redesign and had some initial hiccups in meeting demand. 

That said, I’m not sure those hiccups will happen.  I doubt Tim Cook will let them happen.  And if the iPhone “5” is more of an A5X + bigger battery deal sort of like the new iPad, I bet Apple is much farther down the hardware finalizing path than we think, “chassis” aside.  After all, despite the iPhone 4 being a radical and complete redesign, it still launched in…that’s right…June.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 30 July 2012 12:51 AM #95

Mercel - 29 July 2012 06:40 PM

So much for “doubling-down” on secrecy.  I think Tim’s quote was in response to the early leaks on the iPhone 5’s design.

YOU try locking down an increasing number of iPhone prototype enclosures year by year. wink

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 30 July 2012 12:45 PM #96

These guys don’t make predictions often, but their sources are better than average in getting it right. (also posting in the iPad Mini thread)

Apple iPhone 5 and iPad mini event planned for September 12, iPhone 5 release date for September 21

iMore has learned that Apple is planning to debut the new iPhone at a special event on Wednesday, September 12, 2012, with the release date to follow 9 days later on Friday, September 21. This information comes from sources who have proven accurate in the past.

The iPad mini will be announced at the same September 12 event, as will the new iPod nano. We haven’t heard a release date for the iPad mini yet, but it could be the same as the iPhone 5. It seems likely the new iPod touch will make an appearance on September 12 as well, though we haven’t heard any specific information about that yet either.

http://www.imore.com/apple-iphone-5-and-ipad-mini-event-planned-september-12-iphone-5-release-date-september-21

iOS 6, which was announced during Apple’s WWDC 2012 keynote on June 11 and includes a new, Google-free Maps app, and Passbook, should get a final presentation during the September 12 event as well, and if Apple sticks to previous patterns, a release sometime around Wednesday, September 19.

Apple typically shows off extra, hardware-specific iOS features at new iPhone events as well. For the last few years, Apple SVP of Marketing, Phil Schiller, has demonstrated advanced camera and video recording, and Apple SVP of iOS, Scott Forstall, has demonstrated Voice Control, FaceTime, and Siri. For now, we have only educated guesses (see the conclusion) as to what else might be coming to iOS this year.

Posted: 30 July 2012 06:34 PM #97

http://allthingsd.com/20120730/apple-stocks-up-on-components-for-fall-product-launch/?mod=atdtweet

The week of Septermber 12 is now the sweet spot. Three sources by my count…

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

Posted: 30 July 2012 06:44 PM #98

Dalrymple is Emperor Confirmation in my book.  If he somehow turns out wrong, it’ll be like Oppenheimer guiding super-close to actual for once in a shockingly long period of time. 

Let the AAPL stabilization begin.  And let the competition begin to warm up their copiers.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 30 July 2012 07:06 PM #99

Notice that Jim did not confirm the iPad mini.

http://www.loopinsight.com/2012/07/30/apples-rumored-september-12-event/

Posted: 30 July 2012 07:27 PM #100

Indeed he did not.

iPad mini is more like icing on the cake, anyway.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 30 July 2012 09:15 PM #101

Add the NYT to the confirmation train.

http://www.loopinsight.com/2012/07/30/apples-rumored-september-12-event/

Posted: 30 July 2012 09:37 PM #102

Wow, after a very quiet weekend, Monday was a rumor filled day.  It looks like Apple decided to quietly throw a nugget of “event info” to it’s trusted sources after more pictures and video was released of the upcoming iPhone.    If true, this may give Apple a solid two weeks of sales for the new iPhone release.

Signature

Tim Cook: iPad is 91% of all tablet web traffic. I don’t know what these other tablets are doing.

Posted: 30 July 2012 10:11 PM #103

I think the leak of parts pictures/videos is an indication that the new iPhone has moved from initial production tests (where the number of stockpiled components numbered in the thousands and could be tracked closely) to full production ramp (where the number of each component now numbers in the millions per week and is freely traversing the supply chain with minimal security.)

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics

Posted: 01 August 2012 05:22 PM #104

http://9to5mac.com/2012/08/01/ilounge-new-iphone-will-have-magsafe-8-pin-dock-connector-ipod-nano-will-have-bluetooth-4-0/

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

Posted: 01 August 2012 08:10 PM #105

MagSafe could be interesting but would piss off a bunch of accessory manufacturers.

It’d also kill the adapter market, unless MagSafe was an optional feature or license-able to approved vendors.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.