The Samsung Galaxy S3 goes on sale today, can it fend off Apple and the next iPhone?

Posted: 30 May 2012 07:15 PM

The Samsung Galaxy S3 goes on sale today, can it fend off Apple and the next iPhone?

Wondering what people think of this phone - 9 million pre-orders. Granted, that’s after months of hype, whereas Apple gives like 3 days notice for pre-orders.

I find it hard to believe people want this behemoth or the similarly-sized HTC One X/EVO 4G in their pants, i.e., are you happy to see me, or is that an iPad in your pocket?

Thoughts about these new phones, considering Samsung’s recent huge earnings beat, and the fact that these phones will likely get a 3-4 month head start on iPhone 5? Anything to worry about, or is this like comparing Apples to WATERMELONS, no pun intended?

[ Edited: 30 May 2012 07:27 PM by JDSoCal ]

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007

• Posted: 30 May 2012 07:20 PM #1

Apple doesn’t announce orders. It announces sales. I suspect Apple could announce 20 million orders pretty easily if Apple made the new iPhone available for order in more countries on day one. That 9M number is a joke.

The smart phone market is HUGE. Apple can’t serve the entire market no matter how good the iPhone is. They just can’t produce enough to serve such a massive market. I say who cares about any other phone for the next 24 months or so when smart phone growth is still so insane.

Posted: 30 May 2012 07:23 PM #2

Funny, when I hear “Galaxy,” the C-5 form factor comes to mind:

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007

Posted: 30 May 2012 07:57 PM #3

JD,  Don’t forget those Galaxy class starships….solid performers..and the Siri equivilent is first rate…

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Galaxy_class

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

Posted: 30 May 2012 08:32 PM #4

adamthompson32 - 30 May 2012 10:20 PM

That 9M number is a joke.

First you have shipped vs sold, now it’s not even shipped. My guess is it will take them 2-3 months to actually deliver that many S3s to real people.

Posted: 30 May 2012 08:56 PM #5

Drew Bear - 30 May 2012 11:32 PM
    adamthompson32 - 30 May 2012 10:20 PM

That 9M number is a joke.

First you have shipped vs sold, now it’s not even shipped. My guess is it will take them 2-3 months to actually deliver that many S3s to real people.

And I’m wondering, is that Joe Sixpack “pre-ordering,” or Orange and Vodafone “pre-ordering?”

Hard to believe anyone in the US has pre-ordered a Galaxy 3 at the unlocked, unsubsidized price of $800.

[ Edited: 30 May 2012 09:00 PM by JDSoCal ]

Signature

Posted: 30 May 2012 08:58 PM #6

Red Shirted Ensign - 30 May 2012 10:57 PM

JD,  Don’t forget those Galaxy class starships….solid performers..and the Siri equivilent is first rate…

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Galaxy_class

I actually prefer the “smaller, smarter, Intrepid-class.”

Re-watching Voyager on Netflix these days.

Signature

Posted: 30 May 2012 10:41 PM #7

Wondering what people think of this phone - 9 million pre-orders. Granted, that’s after months of hype, whereas Apple gives like 3 days notice for pre-orders.
    I find it hard to believe people want this behemoth or the similarly-sized HTC One X/EVO 4G in their pants, i.e., are you happy to see me, or is that an iPad in your pocket?

Operating this size of a screen with ONE hand is anything but easy.    It’s easy to navigate the entire iPhone screen with ONE hand but anything above 4” is pushing the limits….I’m sure Apple is taking this into consideration for the new phone.

Signature

Tim Cook: iPad is 91% of all tablet web traffic. I don’t know what these other tablets are doing.

• Posted: 30 May 2012 10:44 PM #8

I know people who love the larger size and G4

They will probably never retry to an iPhone, and they were iPhone users.

Posted: 30 May 2012 11:03 PM #9

JDSoCal - 30 May 2012 11:56 PM

And I’m wondering, is that Joe Sixpack “pre-ordering,” or Orange and Vodafone “pre-ordering?”

Samsung?s new Galaxy S3 phone has been pre-ordered by more than 100 global carriers, who expect to sell at least 9 million devices at launch.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/samsung/9274390/Samsung-S3-9-million-pre-order-new-Galaxy-phone.html

Posted: 30 May 2012 11:40 PM #10

Drew Bear - 31 May 2012 02:03 AM
    JDSoCal - 30 May 2012 11:56 PM

Samsung?s new Galaxy S3 phone has been pre-ordered by more than 100 global carriers, who expect to sell at least 9 million devices at launch.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/samsung/9274390/Samsung-S3-9-million-pre-order-new-Galaxy-phone.html

Now that makes more sense. I think all of these terms really need more solid definitions.

Signature

• Posted: 31 May 2012 04:05 AM #11

JDSoCal - 31 May 2012 02:40 AM
    Drew Bear - 31 May 2012 02:03 AM

Now that makes more sense. I think all of these terms really need more solid definitions.

It may be true, but I simply don’t take seriously anything Samsung says*. There’s no such thing as a “preorder”; you’ve either ordered a phone or you haven’t. There is no necessity to invent a special word just because they haven’t shipped yet; you’d say “sold”,  just like Apple, if they were shipped. I’m pretty sure Apple’s carriers have to make multi-year volume commitments; Sprint certainly did, and disclosed it. Why would Apple let other carriers off? Production planning is an impossible nightmare unless you are backordered, and heavy carrier commitments are key for Apple’s ability to “walk on water”. Those commitments would all count as “preorders”, wouldn’t they - commitments to buy. So Apple could say “a hundred million preorders” for the next iPhone if they wanted. And for the Telegraph to imply that Samsung is actually going to ship 9 million at launch and they are going to immediately be sold to end users is absolute nonsense. 9 million is six months production of the Galaxy S2. If they operate like Apple, 2 million are still unsold channel inventory.

*Examples: destruction of email evidence to avoid confirming the obvious in court - that they have been copying the iPhone, the iPad, and the outward appearance of Apple Inc for all they are worth. Queues at launch for new phones, just like Apple. Then we discover that the crowd were paid actors, or the word was quietly put about that one hundred smartphones would be given away at that outlet on launch day. Leaked rumours S3 is going to be ceramic or even liquid metal, but on arrival it’s plastic again.

If Samsung want my trust, they’ll have to earn it. After they have fixed my mistrust. I don’t even trust their accounting. (Although I’m not denying their many good attributes; it’s just hard to know what is real, and what is pretence.)

[ Edited: 31 May 2012 04:13 AM by sleepygeek ]      
  • Posted: 31 May 2012 11:12 AM #12

JDSoCal - 31 May 2012 02:40 AM

Samsung disagrees wink

Posted: 31 May 2012 12:44 PM #13

Samsung’s preorder from the carriers is like Sprint’s preorder of $15B at let’s say $500 per unit.  Apple has more iPhone preorder from a single carrier then Samsung has on a 100.

Posted: 31 May 2012 01:55 PM #14

You can’t really blame Samsung for spinning this “fact” to their benefit. I blame the media for not doing its job and revealing the spin for what it is.

The Galaxy series phones are far and away the best selling Android phone. I think Samsung has set a goal to ship 40 million of the S3 in the next 12 months. They might reach that goal, but at what ASP after the initial surge of sales? And how does that compare to ~90 million iPhones sold in the first 7 months of the 4S product cycle?

The real question is can the S3 fend off the HTC One X and the $399 unsubsidized Galaxy Nexus sold directly by Google (made by Samsung). More importantly, what is Google going to reveal next month at I/O with Android Jelly Bean and Motorola? Will Samsung need to release the S4 in a few months or will they finally be able to supply an Android update in a timely fashion?

Posted: 31 May 2012 05:03 PM #15

Drew Bear - 31 May 2012 04:55 PM

You can’t really blame Samsung for spinning this “fact” to their benefit. I blame the media for not doing its job and revealing the spin for what it is.

The Galaxy series phones are far and away the best selling Android phone. I think Samsung has set a goal to ship 40 million of the S3 in the next 12 months. They might reach that goal, but at what ASP after the initial surge of sales? And how does that compare to ~90 million iPhones sold in the first 7 months of the 4S product cycle?

The real question is can the S3 fend off the HTC One X and the $399 unsubsidized Galaxy Nexus sold directly by Google (made by Samsung). More importantly, what is Google going to reveal next month at I/O with Android Jelly Bean and Motorola? Will Samsung need to release the S4 in a few months or will they finally be able to supply an Android update in a timely fashion?

The reason I started this thread is that Samsung is the one other company besides Apple really making money in smartphones. In fact, smartphones utterly saved their quarter. Their earnings were up like 82% last quarter, Apple-esque. So worth keeping an eye on them, or at least not just dismissing everything they do out of hand.

Interestingly, as Drew sort of alluded to, the real contest might be between Google and Samsung - and Amazon in tablets. HTC seems to be epic failing right now, but the enemy of my enemy is…someone I’d like to see kill my enemy, then die. In other words, Samsung and Amazon doing well in smartphones and tablets might actually be bad for Android.

Signature