The Samsung Galaxy S3 goes on sale today, can it fend off Apple and the next iPhone?

Posted: 01 June 2012 02:26 PM #16

JDSoCal - 30 May 2012 11:58 PM
    Red Shirted Ensign - 30 May 2012 10:57 PM

JD,  Don’t forget those Galaxy class starships….solid performers..and the Siri equivilent is first rate…

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Galaxy_class

I actually prefer the “smaller, smarter, Intrepid-class.”

Re-watching Voyager on Netflix these days.

I do too.  Or the Defiant class, for the cloak and better weapons.

So Samsung Galaxy is like a huge Galaxy class starship, iPhone is like a sleek Intrepid (or Defiant) class.  Honestly I don’t want anything bigger than the iPhone, I don’t even want a longer iPhone like the rumors keep saying we’ll get.

Posted: 01 June 2012 02:56 PM #17

JDSoCal - 31 May 2012 08:03 PM

...Samsung is the one other company besides Apple really making money in smartphones. In fact, smartphones utterly saved their quarter. Their earnings were up like 82% last quarter, Apple-esque.

This is exactly why Samsung was willing to risk lawsuits and their business relationship with Apple. In fact, you could say they had no choice. Even if they lose most of the lawsuits, pay damages and lose some of Apple’s business, they still come out ahead.

Their blatant copying of Apple was rewarded by a dominant share of the Android market. Now they can afford to not copy Apple as closely (The Samsung Galaxy S III: The First Smartphone Designed Entirely By Lawyers). Compare that to Nokia’s Windows Phone phones, who chose not to copy Apple and aren’t getting any traction.

I didn’t mean to sound dismissive of Samsung. I’m certain Apple takes them very seriously on a number of levels. I was simply pointing out that the “fend off Apple” headline didn’t make sense. There’s no question of fending off a competitor who is well ahead of you. You fend off those who are nipping at your heels.

Posted: 01 June 2012 04:32 PM #18

Drew Bear - 01 June 2012 05:56 PM

...Samsung is the one other company besides Apple really making money in smartphones. In fact, smartphones utterly saved their quarter. Their earnings were up like 82% last quarter, Apple-esque.

This is exactly why Samsung was willing to risk lawsuits and their business relationship with Apple. In fact, you could say they had no choice. Even if they lose most of the lawsuits, pay damages and lose some of Apple’s business, they still come out ahead.

Their blatant copying of Apple was rewarded by a dominant share of the Android market. Now they can afford to not copy Apple as closely (The Samsung Galaxy S III: The First Smartphone Designed Entirely By Lawyers). Compare that to Nokia’s Windows Phone phones, who chose not to copy Apple and aren’t getting any traction.

I didn’t mean to sound dismissive of Samsung. I’m certain Apple takes them very seriously on a number of levels. I was simply pointing out that the “fend off Apple” headline didn’t make sense. There’s no question of fending off a competitor who is well ahead of you. You fend off those who are nipping at your heels.

Yeah, I’ve had some buyer’s remorse over that headline, but it is copied directly from the article, and guaranteed me more readers than “Galaxy S 3 Launches Today.” Call me a “hit whore,” like Henry Blodgett.

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007

• Posted: 02 June 2012 02:49 AM #19

sleepygeek - 31 May 2012 07:05 AM

There’s no such thing as a “preorder”; you’ve either ordered a phone or you haven’t. There is no necessity to invent a special word just because they haven’t shipped yet;

Well said, sleepygeek. My thoughts exactly.

Nor does it end there. Samsung’s adverts in this part of the world (SE Asia) border on the dishonest, in that they showcase features for which there is no supportive infrastructure in these same markets. The end user will never get that experience.

These are tactical errors on Samsung’s part, in that, for short term gains (perceived performance and sales), they risk longer term deficits (in a word, credibility). No one ever accused Samsung of being leading innovators, just solid manufacturers, at least in this region. A poor choice to harm your credibility in an emerging market.

Signature

wab95

Posted: 02 June 2012 01:15 PM #20

Drew Bear - 31 May 2012 04:55 PM

...what is Google going to reveal next month at I/O with Android Jelly Bean and Motorola? Will Samsung need to release the S4 in a few months or will they finally be able to supply an Android update in a timely fashion?

Android ICS was released last October.

Samsung Galaxy S II for T-Mobile getting ICS on June 11th
    ...but rather than being an over-the-air update like we’ve seen with many ICS upgrades, this one will come courtesy of Kies, Samsung’s iTunes-esque companion software.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/1/3057625/samsung-galaxy-s-ii-t-mobile-getting-ics-upgrade-june-11th

• Posted: 02 June 2012 02:57 PM #21

Drew Bear - 01 June 2012 05:56 PM

I agree that copying Apple was absolutely the right move. Does Samsung care if they lose all of Apple’s component business if they are making a killing on phones? Absolutely not.

Where I disagree is that right now there is no competition in smart phones. If there were injunctions against Samsung and every other Android maker imposed today would Apple sell more phones tomorrow? No. Next month? I don’t think so. A year from now? Probably. The bottom line is that Apple is fighting the copycats today for a time when manufacturers will battle for share. Right now Apple can’t serve the entire market. They struggle to serve their small slice of the market today, and that’s with doubling production every year. Could Apple triple or quadruple production for next year if they wanted to? I think it’s very doubtful but maybe I’m wrong.

Bottom line here, in my opinion, is that Apple likes to tie up all these other manufacturers in legal battles and likes to get these “minor” injunctions they are getting. It keeps the other guys focused on just trying to tweak their current products while Apple spends billions developing the next big thing(s) in mobile tech. While everyone else tries to catch up on smart phones Apple is working on whatever is coming next (wearable tech?).

Apple is playing a huge game of chess….everyone else is playing checkers.

Posted: 02 June 2012 05:21 PM #22

If you’re going to drag around something that big just to get the bigger screen, you might as well get an iPad.

Signature

pbg

Posted: 11 June 2012 11:43 AM #23

Via MG Siegler

Don?t hold the Samsung Galaxy S III wrong.

Insert joke about Samsung really copying *everything* from Apple.

http://parislemon.com/post/24872243834/samsung-galaxy-s-iii