AAPL Intraday Updates - Archive

Posted: 04 June 2012 02:51 AM #31

Eric Landstrom - 04 June 2012 05:44 AM
    Prazan - 04 June 2012 02:49 AM

Phoebes contributes much of value to this forum. The political stuff just drives me crazy because this is where I come to get away from it. Apple is apolitical. If someone threatens to nationalize my iPhone, then I might change my opinion about this.

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/forums/viewthread/82837/P15/#637143

The same thing JD said.

I agree

• Posted: 04 June 2012 03:58 AM #32

I’ve only been a member of this forum for about 8 months. Many of you remember what a relief it was to find this board and be free of the inane personal attacks that take place hourly on the Yahoo Finance Apple Message Board (involuntary shutter).  I thought I was done with that nonsense forever. I unfortunately learned, to my regret, that there are also a limited number of some of those very attitudes in this forum. It may be personal attacks from new members or even from some who have been here almost two years and should know better. Many of these personal attacks are from members who have very good knowledge and insight to share_but just can’t resist verbally sticking it to people with whom they disagree. They’re so smart that I know they understand the Ad Hominem Fallacy (which I’ve attached at the bottom of my post). But I’m sharing it anyway for those who may like a refresher. I was never able to successfully use this when my two boys were teenagers, because personal verbal abuse is something most teenage boys are very good at using, often to great effect_at least with other teenage boys.  And verbal abuse is easier than controlling one’s outrage at finding that another’s opinions differ from your own. But assuming we’re mostly adults in the forum, at least chronologically, we should be able to minimize this type of friction between members. Remember the most important lesson learned by the computer, Joshua, in the movie “War Games”, from years ago: The only winning move is not to play.  So please, the next time a member verbally attacks you personally or as a group, don’t play.

========================
    Description of Ad Hominem

Translated from Latin to English, “Ad Hominem” means “against the man” or “against the person.”

An Ad Hominem is a general category of fallacies in which a claim or argument is rejected on the basis of some irrelevant fact about the author of or the person presenting the claim or argument. Typically, this fallacy involves two steps. First, an attack against the character of person making the claim, her circumstances, or her actions is made (or the character, circumstances, or actions of the person reporting the claim). Second, this attack is taken to be evidence against the claim or argument the person in question is making (or presenting). This type of “argument” has the following form:

Person A makes claim X.
    Person B makes an attack on person A.
    Therefore A’s claim is false.

• Posted: 04 June 2012 06:05 AM #33

lovemyipad - 04 June 2012 04:55 AM

I’d like to ignore the entire forum at the moment…

How is that working out for you ? :D

Posted: 04 June 2012 07:09 AM #34

Down just $2.50 in early per market

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics

Posted: 04 June 2012 07:25 AM #35

JDSoCal - 04 June 2012 04:21 AM

I think that?s how some of you like it, denial, so you can handle the obvious cognitive dissonance involved with owning the capitalist dream of AAPL, and yet having the politics some of you do.

Indeed.

AMEN

and KUDO’s.

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

• Posted: 04 June 2012 08:23 AM #36

TanToday - 04 June 2012 10:25 AM

I think that?s how some of you like it, denial, so you can handle the obvious cognitive dissonance involved with owning the capitalist dream of AAPL, and yet having the politics some of you do.

Indeed.

AMEN

and KUDO’s.

It should be “Acquisition”, not “Aquisition” in “Ferengi Rules of Acquisition” wink smile

• Posted: 04 June 2012 08:28 AM #37

It would be really good if we could stick to the core subject of the thread.  With that, anyone care to take an educated guess where we might be Friday as we lead to the WWDC? 
    Very broadly speaking I think we’ll be up from where we are now but by how much? Conservativly I think 570 but might just breach 600.  This is taking into account all the negative macro issues last week.  I think the market is looking for a reason to come back a bit. 
    Thanks
    Frank

Posted: 04 June 2012 08:39 AM #38

We now have TWO threads that are more appropriate than the Intraday for discussion that incorporates politics—“Death & Taxes” and “Macroeconomics.”

IF your post has relevance to Apple/AAPL or finance, and for the greater good, you cannot resist the urge to share your valuable insights, albeit political, I ask that you kindly exert the extra effort to redirect your wisdom to one of the aforementioned threads.

Thank you.

• Posted: 04 June 2012 09:38 AM #39

I appreciate the support I have received from many of you and only wish that verbal attacks toward members were addressed in a more direct manner by the admins. 

To clarify:
    When I turn on a business news segment and hear several times why a market might surprise us all and rally—and—it may be somewhat politically related like QE3 or perhaps Romney gaining in polls, then aren’t we discussing market psychology? Isn’t it (right or wrong in each of our personal opinions) what the market perceives to be positive?—as long as I don’t express who my candidate is?
    Calls I made yesterday to former banker colleagues who are still in the business also brought the same topic mentioned (the polls) that I mentioned and becoming more pervasive given the most recent economic data and yet—this seems to have insulted a member here by virtue of mere mention.  The news reports were filled this weekend on a “game changer” that the business world may view as a positive change (right or wrong) for the markets. I truthfully did not regard it as a political statement but more of a possibility as to why markets were perhaps (hopefully) not reacting as negatively. It was and is intended to be a sharing of thoughts on what might produce an outcome that we can be hopeful for : ie a market that doesn’t plummet this morning, and aapl in the green.

If, however, I come out and say I want one candidate or another to win—then it’s a political statement.  That’s how I hope to be able to differentiate.  If I am not correct, please iPad, offer me further guidance but it is difficult not to have some mention (without offering personal opinion) of political happenings and governmental policies that may affect the markets.

All this said, the one member who has attacked me twice whether in name calling or through ridicule, I would propose a three strikes and you are out rule.  There is no need for such behavior.  We are not children in a school yard and should act with some maturity and respect toward each other. I don’t believe I agree with any of your views but would never ridicule you on a public thread - I simply read and disagree. I have been a parent already and have raised my children to be productive and respectful members of society.  I don’t need to be a parent toward anyone else. It’s just not worth it. It’s hard enough trying to make money in these markets - I don’t want to waste energy on arguing with a member who has done nothing but insult me in the two times he has responded to my posts and is seemingly not reprimanded.  Enjoy your day.

Signature

Keep Calm and Carry On

Posted: 04 June 2012 09:51 AM #40

I placed bids @ the bid price for 10 Jan 13 595/600 BCS & 6 Jan 13 610/620 BCS.

Hope I’m not trying to catch a falling knife. smile

Edit: @ the bid not the ask

Signature

Waiting to be included in one of Apple’s target markets, but I still own an iPod, iPhone and iMac and APPL stock.

Posted: 04 June 2012 09:53 AM #41

Phoebear,

I think you are being a bit disingenuous.  Anyone who has followed your posting history has no problem discerning which Presidential candidate you favor. You have noted a need for a change, etc., etc. Numerous times, expressed frustration with current policies…We are all captive to our histories on the AFB.

You are correct..we are not children.  It is possible to post in this specific thread on market developments, and on Apple specifically, without even alluding to a political preference.  I try to do so, and many others too.  Rather than parse the problem, why not just take economic and political analysis or comment to the two other threads Lovemyipad mentioned….no…urged.

As for punishing people for responding to what they perceive as others refusal to follow Ms. iPad’s fairly simple requests…..isn’t that just fanning the flames?

Why not a reset on this Monday morning, with Apple green in pre-market and all of us hoping for a good week.  Good wishes to all.  grin

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

Posted: 04 June 2012 09:54 AM #42

Prazan - 04 June 2012 02:49 AM

Phoebes contributes much of value to this forum. The political stuff just drives me crazy because this is where I come to get away from it. Apple is apolitical. If someone threatens to nationalize my iPhone, then I might change my opinion about this.

It’s preposterous to suggest politics does not and will not affect the market, especially with Taxmogeddon looming. If your wittle ears can’t handle it, perhaps you should start putting people on ignore.

I mean, seriously, the idea that the markets actually don’t care that all these taxes are about to hit if something isn’t done soon is just denial. I think that’s how some of you like it, denial, so you can handle the obvious cognitive dissonance involved with owning the capitalist dream of AAPL, and yet having the politics some of you do.

I’m as sick of the “ooh, my wittle ears are burning, I heard a possibly political statement!” little old ladies here as some of you purport to be from those spouting politics, so there. I avoided the political thread, but some of you really need to be hit in the nose with a rolled-up newspaper like a dog who keeps nipping people.

Good morning, JD! I see you continue in fine form.

• Posted: 04 June 2012 09:57 AM #43

Meanwhile back at the ranch, Frank is thinking that after the next ATH of AAPL he will get one of these:  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2154283/Cats-away-Artist-turns-dead-pet-flying-helicopter-killed-car.html. Wonder if there is an App to control it.

Posted: 04 June 2012 10:10 AM #44

fas550 - 04 June 2012 12:57 PM

Meanwhile back at the ranch, Frank is thinking that after the next ATH of AAPL he will get one of these:  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2154283/Cats-away-Artist-turns-dead-pet-flying-helicopter-killed-car.html. Wonder if there is an App to control it.

That’s kinda morbid.

What I want is:
    http://ardrone.parrot.com/parrot-ar-drone/usa/

And yes, there is an iPad app for that. (iPhone too)

Posted: 04 June 2012 10:14 AM #45

Apple pre-market encouraging. When the dividend is in place for this stock it will be the ultimate safe haven for parking funds in transit between strategies, I can’t wait.

Cramer thinks the proverbial SecretMeeting on Euro problems underway. If Germany softens, the short term market action could be very good..but longer term, ..?

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before