New MacBooks available now
    A complete rewrite to iTunes

Have I missed anything?

Signature

Take Only Pictures, Leave Only Footprints
    Is No Way To Run An Art Gallery

• Posted: 11 June 2012 12:40 PM #1

Is this supposed to be what we expect, or what we want? smile

Based on rumors it seems likely that new Mac Pros and some form of MacBooks are going to be out, and I agree that those will be available today or shipping very soon. Retina displays would be pretty awesome, but I’m not holding my breath either.

I’m guessing they’ll announce the details of iOS 6 and a release date for Mountain Lion, but both will come later this summer.

I suppose it’s within the realm of possibility that they could announce the next iPhone, especially if there are changes to the screen aspect ratio, so that developers have time to test and make sure their apps work. But I also wouldn’t be surprised if we heard nothing about iPhone today. Either way I’m sure a new one won’t be shipping until late summer or early fall.

It would be cool to hear something about development for Apple TV—whether for the current model or a dedicated TV set, I don’t know or care which. But that’s more of a wish than an expectation.

Posted: 11 June 2012 12:41 PM #2

Having an iPhone 4 and letting my wife get the 4S, I’m *REALLY* champing at the bit to get an iPhone 5. So, being the hopeless optimist (oxymoronic, I know), I’ve been hoping for an iPhone 5 announcement.

But I realize that the iPhone 5 can’t be announced until there have been a few beta cycles of iOS6. Clearly, it will be running iOS6, but iOS6 clearly isn’t ready. So I’ll have to wait a little longer…

Posted: 11 June 2012 01:01 PM #3

David Nelson - 11 June 2012 03:40 PM

Is this supposed to be what we expect, or what we want? smile

Yes.

Personally I really really WANT them to overhaul iTunes. The same for Mac Safari wouldn’t be a bad thing either.

I do not expect much of anything about iPhone. This will be a Mac-Centric event. (With the exception of iOS6 being released.)

Signature

Posted: 11 June 2012 04:22 PM #4

The Good.
    The new MacBook Pros are a dilemma. Do I go with the top end ones with the Retina display and SSD speed but that don’t have as much drive space, or do I go with the older MBP that are less expensive, nearly as fast, and have space for two drives (replace the DVD drive with a second HD or SSD). An embarrassment of riches if there ever was one.
    The Bad
    No Mac Pro. Not that I’m interested but this will bring about a huge amount of gnashing of teeth and digital ink spilled. Really would have liked to see a new Mac Pro if for no other reason than to see a confirmation of their support for the Pro customer base.EDIT. OK they do have “new” models but as Kitsuni Studios below pointed out they don’t have TB, or USB3, or actually much of anything in the way of “newness”.
    The Ugly
    Siri for the iPad3 but not the iPad2 they ARE CURRENTLY SELLING. Very very disappointing. The features look good. The new improvements look even better. Too bad I won’t have anything that can use Siri at least until this time next year.

[ Edited: 11 June 2012 04:55 PM by geoduck ]

Signature

Posted: 11 June 2012 04:40 PM #5

Ok, I’m looking at the Mac pro “update” and wondering what the holy hell Apple was thinking. No wonder they didn’t announce the change. That they had the gall to slap “new” on it is insulting.

It looks like all they did was make the 3.2 Ghz quad core processor the base model and double the ram to a slightly less laughable 6GB, and drop the price a wee bit on the upgrades.

No 6g SATA
    No USB 3.0
    No Thunderbolt
    Same ancient graphic card, no upgrade options beyond the 5870.

I mean, Really? This seems like a sure way to continue the “Apple is killing the pro market” concerns for another year or so.

Signature

-Jon Roth

Instant Philosopher; Just add hot topic and stir.

Posted: 11 June 2012 04:51 PM #6

KitsuneStudios - 11 June 2012 07:40 PM

That they had the gall to slap “new” on it is insulting.

I had no idea how they compared to the old ones. Not even TB? That’s absurd.

Signature