The Omnibus AFB Surface Topic

Posted: 20 June 2012 03:02 PM #106

Lstream - 20 June 2012 04:30 PM
    FalKirk - 20 June 2012 04:25 PM

This is really quite interesting.

I’ve been predicting that just such a thing could occur. And now that you’re telling me that it’s actually happening - I’m finding it hard to bring myself to believe it.

What we see happening lines up with what Apple is telling us.  We deal with Corporate IT departments all the time.  There are many examples in Aerospace, Airlines, Consumer Packaged Goods, Heavy Manufacturing, Utilities,  and Energy where we see that iOS is now approved.  Showing up with an iOS app in those places is like showing up with a Windows app years ago.  There is no platform resistance whatsoever.

Just some anecdotal evidence about enterprise uptake.  In the last few weeks our company had a customer perform a food safety audit, they used an iPad.  This company is a major fast food chain and I’m sure a Windows environment.  Our Pest Control contractor also showed up with an iPad for auditing their documentation.  Both raved about the iPad.  So there is a major corporation and a medium to small corporation implementing iPads in a Windows environment using custom software that meets their needs.

Signature

Waiting to be included in one of Apple’s target markets, but I still own an iPod, iPhone and iMac and APPL stock.

• Posted: 20 June 2012 03:09 PM #107

rickag - 20 June 2012 06:02 PM

So there is a major corporation and a medium to small corporation implementing iPads in a Windows environment using custom software that meets their needs.

Yeah, I think this “custom software” angle may not be getting the attention it deserves. Companies that spend thirty to a hundred thousand dollars creating company specific Apps are unlikely to leave the platform anytime soon.

iOS may well be the new Windows.

• Posted: 20 June 2012 03:29 PM #108

FalKirk - 20 June 2012 06:09 PM
    rickag - 20 June 2012 06:02 PM

So there is a major corporation and a medium to small corporation implementing iPads in a Windows environment using custom software that meets their needs.

Yeah, I think this “custom software” angle may not be getting the attention it deserves. Companies that spend thirty to a hundred thousand dollars creating company specific Apps are unlikely to leave the platform anytime soon.

iOS may well be the new Windows.

Then there are apps that these companies buy.  If they are embedded in operations they get extremely deep scrutiny, testing and validation.  Then there is training and deployment.  Switching costs are huge, and once incumbency is achieved, IT resists with all their power to consider anything new.  In Enterprise Mobile, iOS is the new Windows for sure.

Posted: 20 June 2012 03:29 PM #109

Drew Bear - 20 June 2012 03:20 PM

We may understand Microsoft’s timing of the Surface event a bit better after today’s Windows Phone OS 8 announcement. This is their response to iOS 6 and whatever Google reveals about Jelly Bean next week. It’s likely that today’s event will be disappointing, so perhaps Microsoft wanted to distract the punditry with vaporware that looks interesting.

Yup. Nothing significant announced for Windows Phone 8.

While the company didn’t list all of the new features of the new platform, it walked through several key areas that will be part of the update. Windows Phone 8 will include support for multi-core processors as well as different screen resolutions and support for removable microSD cards, all of which were rumored in the weeks before the event.

The platform will also integrate the Navteq mapping technology owned by Nokia, featuring support for offline storage and turn-by-turn directions.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/microsoft-shows-windows-phone-update-2012-06-20?siteid=yhoof2

Posted: 20 June 2012 03:36 PM #110

FalKirk

I really enjoyed you articles, concise, informative and entertaining.

I forgot to mention the pest control contractor had a third party keyboard.  Most consumers don’t need or want a keyboard, do will all Surface tablets come with a keyboard forcing everyone to pay for something they’ll never use?

A trackpad….really -  maybe Microsoft should write a program into the operating system so the trackpad is directly on the screen.

Signature

Waiting to be included in one of Apple’s target markets, but I still own an iPod, iPhone and iMac and APPL stock.

Posted: 20 June 2012 03:41 PM #111

Drew Bear - 20 June 2012 08:39 AM

I took a quick look at the January 2010 iPad intro. Steve sitting in the chair demoing that first iPad live.

Nice video mash up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSj8GUZDuac&sns=em

• Posted: 20 June 2012 03:44 PM #112

This morning PED took apart Gartner’s forecasts of Microsoft gaining market share in the mobile market at Apple’s expense.

Please read today’s Apple 2.0 column and the associated comments.

Rarely do I go on a rant. But the Surface isn’t just awful. It’s breathtakingly awful.In my view this week’s announcement about the Surface represents Microsoft’s “Appomattox moment.” It’s a total capitulation the company can not effectively compete with Apple in the mobile product environment.

The Surface isn’t a solution. It’s a big fat question market instead. I see it as ill-designed and nothing more than a Windows OS crammed into a form intended to mimic the iPad’s enclosure.

Not only will it not create market share, Microsoft may have kicked its own PC OEMs in the shins. It’s the clearest indication yet the Windows PC era is over.

What’s described as the device’s intended functionality is similar to what Microsoft described about a Windows-based tablet two and three years ago. There’s nothing here but an ill-fated effort to extend what remains of the Microsoft monopoly in desktop operating systems into the mobile environment. This hasn’t work in smartphones and it won’t work in the tablet market.

I’m quite surprised Microsoft is intending to bring this product to market in its current form.

Posted: 20 June 2012 04:03 PM #113

I suspect you might have “gone easier” on Microsoft if only the Surface RT was announced, though clearly IT wasn’t ready for prime-time either.  Sinofsky’s IE demo was a complete embarassment.

The Intel Surface is horrifically compromised.  It’s a tablet that works best with a companion keyboard that CAN’T be as good as a laptop or ultrabook keyboard.  So you have to buy an accessory right out of the gate, unless of course Microsoft bundles one which I doubt.  If you’re gonna use the Surface like any old ultrabook, any old ultrabook is exactly what you should buy.  Who needs a kickstand, you can move the display to any angle you want.

It’s more than a little disturbing that Microsoft is pushing trackpads for the Surface RT.  I thought the whole point of the current crop of tablets was direct 1:1 interaction with the screen?

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 20 June 2012 04:03 PM #114

rickag - 20 June 2012 06:36 PM

FalKirk

I really enjoyed you articles, concise, informative and entertaining.

Thanks.

I’m learning a lot from your business stories too. If you have more, keep ‘em coming!

Posted: 20 June 2012 04:12 PM #115

Drew Bear - 20 June 2012 06:41 PM

I took a quick look at the January 2010 iPad intro. Steve sitting in the chair demoing that first iPad live.

Entertaining. LOL

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 20 June 2012 04:19 PM #116

Drew Bear - 20 June 2012 06:41 PM

I just watched the video mash up and I was reminded that the original iPad came with an Apple keyboard as an option. By the time the next iPad came out, the keyboard was no long for sale. Admittedly, it wasn’t the elegant and thin attachable keyboards that we have available to us today. Still, the fact that these didn’t sell should be telling us - and perhaps Microsoft - something.

Posted: 20 June 2012 04:20 PM #117

It DID! 

No keyboards for portrait orientation.  Because obviously, it’s meant for LANDSCAPE.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 20 June 2012 04:33 PM #118

Mav - 20 June 2012 07:03 PM

I suspect you might have “gone easier” on Microsoft if only the Surface RT was announced, though clearly IT wasn’t ready for prime-time either.  Sinofsky’s IE demo was a complete embarassment.

The Intel Surface is horrifically compromised.  It’s a tablet that works best with a companion keyboard that CAN’T be as good as a laptop or ultrabook keyboard.  So you have to buy an accessory right out of the gate, unless of course Microsoft bundles one which I doubt.  If you’re gonna use the Surface like any old ultrabook, any old ultrabook is exactly what you should buy.  Who needs a kickstand, you can move the display to any angle you want.

It’s more than a little disturbing that Microsoft is pushing trackpads for the Surface RT.  I thought the whole point of the current crop of tablets was direct 1:1 interaction with the screen?

From a function perspective, these are horribly designed products. They represent a mix of everything but nothing done well.

The Windows monopoly will not extend into the mobile market no matter how hard MSFT tries to make it fit.

• Posted: 20 June 2012 04:38 PM #119

Not only will it not create market share, Microsoft may have kicked its own PC OEMs in the shins. It?s the clearest indication yet the Windows PC era is over.

I think this is a leap that cannot be taken yet.  For the Windows PC era to be over, there must be an alternative for those OEM’s.  What is it?  I don’t believe that Linux is the answer for the vast majority of Windows users.  These OEM’s have no real choice, but to grit their teeth and bear it. Microsoft likely knows that they will alienate their PC OEM’s with this move, but they also know that there is no viable alternative, so they have a free pass to choose whatever strategy they want for tablets. 

I see more of a gradual decline, instead of a watershed moment that says the era is over.  I also think that trend was in place anyway, and that this week’s news will have little impact one way or other on a trend that already in place.

• Posted: 20 June 2012 04:50 PM #120

Lstream - 20 June 2012 07:38 PM

Not only will it not create market share, Microsoft may have kicked its own PC OEMs in the shins. It?s the clearest indication yet the Windows PC era is over.

I think this is a leap that cannot be taken yet.  For the Windows PC era to be over, there must be an alternative for those OEM’s.  What is it?  I don’t believe that Linux is the answer for the vast majority of Windows users.  These OEM’s have no real choice, but to grit their teeth and bear it. Microsoft likely knows that they will alienate their PC OEM’s with this move, but they also know that there is no viable alternative, so they have a free pass to choose whatever strategy they want for tablets. 

I see more of a gradual decline, instead of a watershed moment that says the era is over.  I also think that trend was in place anyway, and that this week’s news will have little impact one way or other on a trend that already in place.

The global PC market is in a state of economic decline. Unit sales growth for Windows PCs is found primarily in developing counties and its PC product sold at low prices and this margins.

Apple already owns the global PC market for desktop and portable PCs costing $1,000 or more. Apple has reemerged as the nation’s #3 PC and may reemerge in the September quarter among the top 5 PC vendors in the world.

If one removes Apple’s unit sales growth from both the domestic and global PC shipment numbers, the picture isn’t pretty.

HP and Dell are realizing declining Windows PC sales, declining margins and both major OEMs have aggressively migrated into services through huge acquisitions.

The close tie-in with Nokia on smartphones and what’s known of the planned strategy for the Surface indicate Microsoft’s approach to OS licensing revenue will not work in the mobile device market the way it worked in the PC market.

On old paradigm crammed into a new box isn’t the solution.

Apple will ship nearly 20 million Macintosh computers this fiscal year. Absent the Mac, there is no real economic growth in the PC market. The Surface isn’t the answer. In my view it’s capitulation to Apple by MSFT the company can not compete with Apple in the mobile product markets.

The Apple iPad is eating the Windows PC market for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Do you really think the Surface is going to bring back buyers?