The Omnibus AFB Surface Topic

Posted: 18 June 2012 11:43 PM #16

FalKirk - 19 June 2012 01:22 AM

More is More or More is Less

The second issues is one of philosophy. It is, therefore, harder to express, harder to grasp and much, much more important.

I dunno, I want more features, but I am no industrial design expert.

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007

• Posted: 18 June 2012 11:45 PM #17

Mav - 19 June 2012 02:30 AM

FalKirk, it’s pretty obvious to anyone paying attention.  If Microsoft is going it alone in tablets, and Nokia’s in dire straits, and Microsoft still wants to do smartphones….

Well, it’s pretty obvious once you realize that Microsoft is abandoning the licensing strategy that its relied upon for over thirty years - the strategy that made them the largest, most profitable, most powerful company in the world.

But once you realize that Microsoft has abandoned that strategy - and they clearly have - then everything changes.

What a world we live in. For 30 years people have told me that Apple lost the PC wars because they failed to license their OS. Now Apple’s competitors - from Google with Motorola and Microsoft with their newly announced tablet - are falling all over themselves to worship at the feet of hardware and software integration.

Everything we thought we knew has been turned on its head….

Posted: 18 June 2012 11:46 PM #18

Mercel - 19 June 2012 12:38 AM

Can you imagine Apple launching a new product and leaving out so many details?  It’s laughable, really.

Ballmer is a ballsy guy.  If the press gives him a pass on what they didn’t reveal, then the champagne served at the event paid for itself.

The champagne and mimosas were brilliant PR.  LOL

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 18 June 2012 11:47 PM #19

JDSoCal - 19 June 2012 02:43 AM
    FalKirk - 19 June 2012 01:22 AM

More is More or More is Less

The second issues is one of philosophy. It is, therefore, harder to express, harder to grasp and much, much more important.

I dunno, I want more features, but I am no industrial design expert.

You’re right. A picture is worth a thousand words.

Posted: 19 June 2012 12:12 AM #20

Bloomberg’s first report on the new surface tablet…..

http://www.bloomberg.com/share/video/pvamQ1NToxLIXnn9nItNppfxf9lFpka5

• Posted: 19 June 2012 12:22 AM #21

FalKirk - 19 June 2012 02:45 AM
    Mav - 19 June 2012 02:30 AM

FalKirk, it’s pretty obvious to anyone paying attention.  If Microsoft is going it alone in tablets, and Nokia’s in dire straits, and Microsoft still wants to do smartphones….

Well, it’s pretty obvious once you realize that Microsoft is abandoning the licensing strategy that its relied upon for over thirty years - the strategy that made them the largest, most profitable, most powerful company in the world.

But once you realize that Microsoft has abandoned that strategy - and they clearly have - then everything changes.

What a world we live in. For 30 years people have told me that Apple lost the PC wars because they failed to license their OS. Now Apple’s competitors - from Google with Motorola and Microsoft with their newly announced tablet - are falling all over themselves to worship at the feet of hardware and software integration.

Everything we thought we knew has been turned on its head….

MSFT has $1 Billion invested in Nokia. They aren’t going to let them fail. Most likely MSFT is going to make it official and absorb Nokia. There are benefits that go beyond Nokia’s brand recognition, and that is their manufacturing facilities, which could do handsets AND tablets. If anybody should afraid of today’s announcement, it’s Google.

[ Edited: 19 June 2012 12:36 AM by Gregg Thurman ]

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

• Posted: 19 June 2012 12:45 AM #22

Iceage - 19 June 2012 12:31 AM

By the time this tablet hits he market, iPad 4 will be out!

Maybe iPad 5?

Signature

The measure of the worth of a product is how much people are willing to pay for it, not how many people will buy it if the price is low enough.

• Posted: 19 June 2012 02:00 AM #23

It’s an interesting design. I like the keyboard cover. I wonder if Apple has something similar in the works.
    But if you are going to hold an Apple like event. You announce a ship date, you announce a price.

The real challenge for MS will be the huge cost risk that being a hardware manufacturer brings. Sure the XBox 360 is a hit now, but it’s taken a long time to get there. If the Surface tablets tank, MS could be writing off billions in hardware at the same time that they are annoying their hardware partners. A very expensive proposition. It’s all good selling millions of copies of Office and Exchange Server. Making millions of tablets is something else entirely.

The last thought is that MS really made a mistake not renaming Windows 8 for ARM - Metro OS 1 or something else other than Windows. The two chip design architectures one which will not support legacy Windows apps is going to confuse customers.

Posted: 19 June 2012 02:13 AM #24

These products were anounced at least 3 months early (6 months for the x86 model).

I think the only purpose of this event was to try and stall iPad sales in the interim months as Microsoft know how well the iPad is now selling. In that attempt I think they will fail.

The fact they didnt announce pricing makes it sound even more fishy.

Just think, before these things even start to ship apple will have shipped iOS 6 for the iPad, including new killer exclusive features like Siri & Maps and of course maintains all the other apple bonuses like itunes compatibility, retina display, awesome battery life, several hundred thousand apps, deep facebook & twitter integration, etc…

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics

Posted: 19 June 2012 02:29 AM #25

Can you have a “hands on” of the Touch/Type Cover accessories for Surface if they…uh…don’t actually work?

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 19 June 2012 02:32 AM #26

Don’t ever change, Gizmodo:

Microsoft’s event today was long on promise and short on specs. RAM? We dunno. Processor speed? We dunno. Price? We dunno. Release date? We dunno. But even a very brief hands-on made something abundantly clear: It’s a super solid device and if Microsoft can deliver what it demoed, the iPad finally has a real competitor and Android has a big goddamn problem.

Linking optional:  http://gizmodo.com/5919459/hands-on-with-microsoft-surface-for-windows-rt

I’m fine with iPad having super-awesome competition.  But these days?  You gotta prove it first.  Unless you’re a tech blogger happily buzzed on champagne and/or mimosas, then you bring out the, “IF all this is true, THEN we got ourselves a horserace!”

Promises, promises.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D7GVyTtH1M

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 19 June 2012 02:35 AM #27

I’m confused. Did Microsoft even turn on one of these contraptions to demo it? I’ve gotten the impression that they did not.

And Microsoft’s “About Surface” web page has this little disclaimer at the bottom: “Images are design renderings and not photographs.”

It’s vaporware until it isn’t.

Signature

Sent from my beautiful new iPad. And yes, that’s a photo of an SE/30, my first Mac purchased in 1989.

Posted: 19 June 2012 02:47 AM #28

The screens were on.  There was some demoing available for the tablets themselves, I believe.

Yellow card for PR-regurgitation/not-being-straight-up journalism to Topolsky:  About those cool multicolor covers that I distinctly remember another company making, albeit without the keyboard functionality:  “According to everybody here they work really well, so…  We haven’t really used one day to day obviously yet but we will do that soon… “

Ah, the ol’ we’ll take their word for it.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/18/3095335/microsoft-surface-hands-on - Topolsky’s comment about 1:35 in.  (Remember, the keyboards were 100% nonfunctional at the event.)

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 19 June 2012 02:58 AM #29

Mav - 19 June 2012 05:47 AM

The screens were on.  There was some demoing available for the tablets themselves, I believe.

Yellow card for PR-regurgitation/not-being-straight-up journalism to Topolsky:  About those cool multicolor covers that I distinctly remember another company making, albeit without the keyboard functionality:  “According to everybody here they work really well, so…  We haven’t really used one day to day obviously yet but we will do that soon… “

Ah, the ol’ we’ll take their word for it.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/18/3095335/microsoft-surface-hands-on - Topolsky’s comment about 1:35 in.  (Remember, the keyboards were 100% nonfunctional at the event.)

I have only had the chance to use a couple of android tablets, but it really makes you appreciate iOS/iPads onscreen keyboard.

I wonder if microsfot was unable to come anywhere close to the ipads keyboard in windows 8, so instead resorted to the physical model. Of course that would only be a solution if it didn’t suck, which apparenetly is unknown at this point.

Im guessing the keyboard/cover is going to be an optional accessory - so an extra $50-$100 on the already sketchy price of the Surface.?

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics

Posted: 19 June 2012 03:41 AM #30

Bundle a keyboard for free.  Price the RT tablet $50-100 less than the new iPad depending on feature parity. 

This is kind of stuff Microsoft will need to do, or even Kindle Fire 2 might push it out of the way.

I’m deeply skeptical about the Windows 8 tablet.  “Stop me if you’ve heard this before…”  S’called a Windows 8 ultrabook.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.