The Omnibus AFB Surface Topic

• Posted: 24 August 2012 01:04 AM #316

Falkirk:

Agree with most of what you wrote.

Also, enterprise software is slow to upgrade.  I can’t imagine seeing any high-powered business software integrating even a modicum of the features that Windows 8 is premised upon anytime soon.  So what is the point?

• Posted: 24 August 2012 01:12 AM #317

For those who are new to old ideas, here’s what the Dvorak keyboard looks like. 

How would you like to type on this?  I didn’t think so.

Posted: 24 August 2012 01:15 AM #318

Even if only 1 out of 10 people find windows 8 horrible and switch to a Mac, Apple has a shot at doubling its marketshare in PCs very quickly.

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics

Posted: 24 August 2012 01:20 AM #319

PC wars are over?  Not when about 25% of Windows users still want to run Windows…XP.

Oh, right, Windows 8 is due out in 2 months.  A Surface is supposed to arrive by then.  Just to stay on topic.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 24 August 2012 01:59 AM #320

do you think Microsoft will accelerate its market share decline by releasing the Surface, rather than if they released nothing at all?

The surface may prove that Microsoft has no future in consumer computing, whereas if they released nothing at all, people may have stayed with the windows ecosystem for a bit longer assuming microsoft woould eventually release a credible mobile platform.

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics

Posted: 24 August 2012 06:03 AM #321

Mercel - 24 August 2012 04:12 AM

Um, actually I do. Every day. Since 2001. 56wpm and so much more efficient.  Dvorak keyboard is SOOOooo much better. Of course when I had to go back to QWERTY for the GRE it was almost a disaster.

Signature

Use your powers for good.

• Posted: 24 August 2012 08:27 AM #322

rezonate - 24 August 2012 09:03 AM

Um, actually I do. Every day. Since 2001. 56wpm and so much more efficient.  Dvorak keyboard is SOOOooo much better. Of course when I had to go back to QWERTY for the GRE it was almost a disaster.

That’s where the analogy breaks.  I didn’t say Dvorak keyboards suck, just that people weren’t inclined to rewire their brain for it.  For many people who did (like you), Dvorak IS better than Qwerty.  Windows 8 probably isn’t better than Windows 7.

The main point is that enterprise isn’t eager to unlearn Windows XP/7 and relearn Windows 8, at least for some time.  Particularly when the cost/benefits of upgrading rule against it.

[ Edited: 24 August 2012 08:33 AM by ByeTMO ]      

Posted: 24 August 2012 09:31 AM #323

You have to consider the traininpng cost and lost productivity.  If it takes people longer to perform the same function, then why would you even consider switching.  Windows 8 seems to mix interaction metaphors which I think will result in confusion.

• Posted: 24 August 2012 10:16 AM #324

Back in the eighties when people were transitioning from typewriters to computers, there was lots of talk of moving to a new, more efficient keyboard. You could even map your keyboard on your computer and put stickers on top of your existing keys in order to create a home made keyboard.

When the iPad came out, I thought that the idea of alternative keyboards might come back in vogue. After all, it’s easy as can be to re-map a virtual keyboard. But I never heard a peep. I guess it’s day had come and gone.

• Posted: 24 August 2012 11:12 AM #325

At the end of the day, it’s all about applications.  The OS should be in the background, not the foreground from where MSFT is marketing Windows 8.

• Posted: 24 August 2012 12:30 PM #326

Apple has bifurcated their operating systems believing that touch and click user input is inherently incompatible. Microsoft is taking the opposite approach. The market has already proven that Apple is right. Now we’ll see if the market proves that Microsoft is wrong.

Posted: 24 August 2012 01:11 PM #327

Theoretically, a duality in OS can be done.  But it appears that MSFT management took a shotgun to the design staff.  Its hard to imagine that MSFT designers came up with this stuff on their own.  Nope, it was Ballmer and the corporate crew that created Windows 8.

• Posted: 24 August 2012 02:22 PM #328

Tetrachloride - 24 August 2012 04:11 PM

Theoretically, a duality in OS can be done.  But it appears that MSFT management took a shotgun to the design staff.  Its hard to imagine that MSFT designers came up with this stuff on their own.  Nope, it was Ballmer and the corporate crew that created Windows 8.

You could say that and it would be fair to say that. But it might be more illuminating to say that Baller’s past moves placed Microsoft in a position where Microsoft had little choice but to pretend that touch and click are one - that adding a layer of touch on top of a click interface was not an abomination but a bonus - a PC “Plus”.

• Posted: 25 August 2012 07:30 PM #329

FalKirk - 24 August 2012 05:22 PM

You could say that and it would be fair to say that. But it might be more illuminating to say that Baller’s past moves placed Microsoft in a position where Microsoft had little choice but to pretend that touch and click are one - that adding a layer of touch on top of a click interface was not an abomination but a bonus - a PC “Plus”.

Baller?  Yeah, Steve’s a baller alright… LOL

• Posted: 25 August 2012 09:03 PM #330

Mercel - 25 August 2012 10:30 PM
    FalKirk - 24 August 2012 05:22 PM

Baller?  Yeah, Steve’s a baller alright… LOL

A Freudian slip that accurately captured my true feelings. smile