The Omnibus AFB Surface Topic

• Posted: 28 August 2012 02:39 AM #331

Steve Jobs vs. Steve “Baller” vid.  LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=v3qGX3PNphw

Posted: 28 August 2012 10:08 AM #332

FalKirk - 24 August 2012 01:16 PM

(Dvorak Keyboard Layout)

Back in the eighties when people were transitioning from typewriters to computers, there was lots of talk of moving to a new, more efficient keyboard. You could even map your keyboard on your computer and put stickers on top of your existing keys in order to create a home made keyboard.

When the iPad came out, I thought that the idea of alternative keyboards might come back in vogue. After all, it’s easy as can be to re-map a virtual keyboard. But I never heard a peep. I guess it’s day had come and gone.

Dvorak on MacOS is just another international selection among dozens. I use the Dvorak with Qwerty-? layout. On a normal day, the fingers of a regular typist travel about 30km. The fingers of the same typist using Dvorak travel about 1.5km.

What really gets my goat is that Apple includes the Dvorak keyboard layout in iOS for a bluetooth-connected keyboard. But NOT in software. They always put a Dvorak software keyboard in the iOS betas, but it gets removed for the gold master release. Absolutely kills me.  They include all kinds of software keyboard support for languages we’ll never use, and hardware Dvorak support, but no software support.  Grrrrr.

Signature

Use your powers for good.

• Posted: 28 August 2012 10:38 AM #333

rezonate - 28 August 2012 01:08 PM
    FalKirk - 24 August 2012 01:16 PM

(Dvorak Keyboard Layout)

Back in the eighties when people were transitioning from typewriters to computers, there was lots of talk of moving to a new, more efficient keyboard. You could even map your keyboard on your computer and put stickers on top of your existing keys in order to create a home made keyboard.

When the iPad came out, I thought that the idea of alternative keyboards might come back in vogue. After all, it’s easy as can be to re-map a virtual keyboard. But I never heard a peep. I guess it’s day had come and gone.

Dvorak on MacOS is just another international selection among dozens. I use the Dvorak with Qwerty-? layout. On a normal day, the fingers of a regular typist travel about 30km. The fingers of the same typist using Dvorak travel about 1.5km.

What really gets my goat is that Apple includes the Dvorak keyboard layout in iOS for a bluetooth-connected keyboard. But NOT in software. They always put a Dvorak software keyboard in the iOS betas, but it gets removed for the gold master release. Absolutely kills me.  They include all kinds of software keyboard support for languages we’ll never use, and hardware Dvorak support, but no software support.  Grrrrr.

The original keyboard was purposely designed to slow down typing. This was to keep your typewriter from jamming. The newer patterns would allow you to type faster. This is only a guess but, since the iPhone and the iPad are not designed for typing - since most people type with one or two fingers and hunt and peck - perhaps Apple felt that familiarly was most important.

Still, why not give one the option of changing their keyboard?

Posted: 28 August 2012 04:57 PM #334

FalKirk - 28 August 2012 01:38 PM

The original keyboard was purposely designed to slow down typing. This was to keep your typewriter from jamming. The newer patterns would allow you to type faster. This is only a guess but, since the iPhone and the iPad are not designed for typing - since most people type with one or two fingers and hunt and peck - perhaps Apple felt that familiarly was most important.

Still, why not give one the option of changing their keyboard?

I’m really sorry to threadjack, but there really hasn’t been much talk about the MS Surface lately. Or has there? (Seeking Alpha story from 8/28): “On October 26, Microsoft (MSFT) will release its much-anticipated Windows 8 software packaged in conjunction with its new Surface tablet. Microsoft executives are staying mum regarding pricing for the Surface. In response, the rumor mill has exploded with wild claims that the Surface tablet will price out anywhere from between $199 and $1,000. “

I had dinner with an Apple tech who told me the story of how they got the Cherokee language keyboard added to MacOS and iOS. The Cherokee Nation had lobbied to have their keyboard added for years. Eventually one programmer who knew somebody in the back office made a phone call and voila! Just like flipping a bit, the Cherokee language was saved. You can even add the Cherokee software keyboard to any iOS device (in the U.S. version, anyway). But sorry, no iOS support for Dvorak.

(I’ll bet the MS Surface has no support for either layout…)

[ Edited: 28 August 2012 05:01 PM by rezonate ]

Signature

Use your powers for good.

Posted: 14 September 2012 03:24 PM #335

Via MG Siegler.

Watch the video at the bottom of the post. Just look at The Verge’s Ross Miller try to use that thing. Now imagine a normal, everyday consumer using it. Yes, this is the *final* build of Windows RT.

I’m believing more and more that we’re watching a total f**king nightmare for Microsoft unfold before our eyes.

http://parislemon.com/post/31000933806/the-windows-rt-demo

Posted: 14 September 2012 03:51 PM #336

Switching back and forth in modes on the MS tablets is like a strobe light. 

People who are not paying attention to every finger or mouse movement are going to have a hard time is what Ross is saying (paraphrase).   

For pro users with a hundred apps, this all will be marvelous.  You are now entering the profanity zone.  Every app is a chance to swallow your pride and attempt to get stuff done.  No matter tho.  The tablets are only a few hundred dollars.  When push comes to shove, practice your frisbee skills with a nearby plate glass window of your boss’s office and take the boss’ iPad or iMac.