The Omnibus AFB Surface Topic

Posted: 19 June 2012 04:02 PM #61

FalKirk - 19 June 2012 06:18 PM
    Drew Bear - 19 June 2012 06:11 PM

Apple is moving forward towards voice control, away from touchscreen. Microsoft is heading backwards towards keyboard, touchpad and stylus.

(Emphasis added.)

Exactly. Microsoft is not embracing touch technology - they are trying to NEGATE it.

P.S. I have an opportunity to write another article for publication tomorrow. Everything I read in this thread is fodder for my content.

I’m particularly interested in thoughts on the differences between Apple’s and Microsoft’s approaches to tablets. Apple has kept their tablets and their desktops segregated.  Microsoft is striving to do exactly the opposite. Any insights you all may have on this philosophical split would be greatly appreciated.

Microsoft’s answer to the automobile in the early 1900’s:

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007

Posted: 19 June 2012 04:15 PM #62

Apple is moving forward towards voice control, away from touchscreen. Microsoft is heading backwards towards keyboard, touchpad and stylus.

Windows RT - the first touchpad-compatible tablet OS.

Hmm…..

And Did You Know??  There’s a Windows key on those covers, too.  I would hope that Windows key works like the Home button on the RT model.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 19 June 2012 04:50 PM #63

JDSoCal - 19 June 2012 07:02 PM
    FalKirk - 19 June 2012 06:18 PM

(Emphasis added.)

Exactly. Microsoft is not embracing touch technology - they are trying to NEGATE it.

P.S. I have an opportunity to write another article for publication tomorrow. Everything I read in this thread is fodder for my content.

I’m particularly interested in thoughts on the differences between Apple’s and Microsoft’s approaches to tablets. Apple has kept their tablets and their desktops segregated.  Microsoft is striving to do exactly the opposite. Any insights you all may have on this philosophical split would be greatly appreciated.

And Microsoft would claim credit for inventing the horse…

Posted: 19 June 2012 04:50 PM #64

A tidbit from Mary Jo Foley:

The word I?ve heard is Office 2013 won?t even be released to manufacturing until November this year, with general availability slated for early 2013. That explains why a ?Preview? will be what?s ?included.? I?d think Microsoft would push the final bits to customers via the Windows Store once they?re available.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/microsoft-surface-tablets-reading-the-fine-print/12965

So the single most important selling point for enterprise users won’t be complete on Day One. Nice.

• Posted: 19 June 2012 04:58 PM #65

Drew Bear - 19 June 2012 07:50 PM

The word I?ve heard is Office 2013 won?t even be released to manufacturing until November this year, with general availability slated for early 2013. That explains why a ?Preview? will be what?s ?included.? I?d think Microsoft would push the final bits to customers via the Windows Store once they?re available.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/microsoft-surface-tablets-reading-the-fine-print/12965

So the single most important selling point for enterprise users won’t be complete on Day One. Nice.

It won’t matter.  Windows 8 will very likely see slow adoption rates.  Certainly, it won’t match Windows 7 adoption rates. 

Enterprise will wait—with or without Office being ready.  And software developers will be even slower to engineer touch features in the software that enterprise uses. 

The hardware won’t drive sales because there’s little benefit to buying it, based on what I’ve seen.

• Posted: 19 June 2012 06:47 PM #66

JDSoCal - 19 June 2012 07:02 PM

Fantastic!

• Posted: 19 June 2012 06:49 PM #67

Drew Bear - 19 June 2012 07:50 PM

Wow. That is really hard to believe. If true, just mind-numbingly incompetent.

Posted: 19 June 2012 08:19 PM #68

I don’t think I agree with that statement, and it points to some of the problems that seems to exist in the Microsoft surface presentation.  The voice interface for iOS is more an attempt to overcome the limitiations of touch for things which currently require a keyboard.  Think of how you use the device today.  When we search or write we have to type.  Microsoft’s solution is to provide a snap on keyboard, and Apple is exploring voice as an alternative.  If you provide a hardware keyboard you give up mobility.  Why not buy a laptop if you need a keyboard.  Microsoft’s approach is safe everyone learns how to type, but Apple is training folks ho to use their voice to interact with the computer.  The keyboard is excess baggage is you can successfully use voice, but that requires a good voice system and user trust.  Microsoft showed they were stuck in the old paradigm and so are many users, but if the keyboard is the next big thing call me skeptical.

Posted: 19 June 2012 08:44 PM #69

Microsoft’s great tablet insight: Apple forgot the keyboard! And Windows.

Ballmer actually said this: “We believe that any intersection between human and machine can be made better when hardware and software are considered together.” What an idiot! He says it like it’s some eternal motto, but everyone knows that’s not what Microsoft has ever been about.

Yes, it’s right to consider the software and hardware together as parts of the whole, but the whole is much bigger than those two parts. It’s staring him right in the face in his own words, as awkward as they are—“any intersection between human and machine”. Consider the whole: the hardware, the software, the user, etc., all together. Microsoft doesn’t care about users the way that Apple does. Not even close.

Windows?!?!!

Signature

The only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. — Steve Jobs

• Posted: 19 June 2012 09:04 PM #70

Did I miss this or does the Surface RT even allow a virtual keyboard on screen?  With its emphasis on the keyboard, it would seem that either they omitted it or the touch screen isn’t as responsive as the iPad?

Posted: 19 June 2012 09:04 PM #71

AFBis way too slow the last two days.

Anyway just finished watching most of the presentation on the Surface.

What a joke.

First of all MS has no shame.  They not only blatantly copy Apple in their presentation style full with video of designers, but they do a poor job of it.

The demo spent most of the time describing the product and glorifying it as if we would not appreciate it for ourselves once we touch it.

I can’t believe one of the main presenters spent almost 10 minutes talking about the stupid stand.  (if you need a stand then you really need a PC and the Surface is no PC)

He also spent too much time talking about the keyboard.  Once again if you need a keyboard and a table most of the time then a tablet is not for you.

I use my keyboard often when I take it to the kitchen table, but most of the time I am on my bed or couch using it.

The demo for the stylus was a joke.  Not only can you clearly see that it is not designed as a true pen, but it is not smooth and if you touch the surface with your hand first, the screen moves.

It is not accurate either.

For a 35 min presentation with lots of multiple errors when touching commands tries and one frozen Surface, there was no real presentation of the UI.  It was a joke of a demo.  I wanted to see a game or a movie playing.  Hell I wanted them to demo a simple document being edited or just listening to a song.

This thing will take a little market share from the Kindle Fire when those unhappy with the Fire will buy this and then finally throw their hands up and buy an iPad.

I can’t wait to buy more Apple Stock in the next 5 years after this train wreck.  Apple is in charge and their lead in the tablet market will increase after this.

[ Edited: 19 June 2012 09:08 PM by omacvi ]      

Posted: 19 June 2012 10:06 PM #72

Did anybody else notice that NOBODY is smiling in any of the pictures? This whole thing seemed rushed out the door, like they were perhaps trying to head off a leak.

Ballmer positively looks like he would really rather be somewhere else.

Surface will be “kin” to “Bob”, but it might be too “Zune” to tell.

Posted: 19 June 2012 10:25 PM #73

Never thought I’d do this - but I’ll be watching the Surface intro keynote now that it’s up.  As-objective-as-possible commentary to follow.

[ Edited: 19 June 2012 10:29 PM by Mav ]

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 19 June 2012 10:49 PM #74

Mav - 20 June 2012 01:25 AM

Never thought I’d do this - but I’ll be watching the Surface intro keynote now that it’s up.  As-objective-as-possible commentary to follow.

It’s a very good keynote. Microsoft did a first class job in secrecy, preparation, presentation and their hardware looks excellent and sounds fantastic.

I’ll be very interested in reading your thoughts on the presentation, Mav.

Posted: 19 June 2012 10:58 PM #75

I just watched the Microsoft keynote video - the 10” 16:9 format looks like it would be useless to type on with a iPad size onscreen keyboard - it would take up 80% of the screen real estate.

Microsoft had to make a external keyboard in the cover, otherwise typing would be atrocious.

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics