The Omnibus AFB Surface Topic

Posted: 20 June 2012 04:58 AM #91

I have not seen the event, merely read the blogs and posts such as Mav’s.  I am now going to debunk Mav, point by point.  You know I can do it. 

1. Mav concedes the surface does have front and rear cameras.  Why ... because it does.

2. Multi-touch ?  Stylus, keyboards and some aluminum sheeting will channel my wishes directly.  Where, I dont know yet.  But, they will channel.

3. When u got it, flaunt it.  Microsoft has the mouse.  Take that, iPad.  (never mind the iPad accessories).  The Surface tablets will not only provide, but require a mouse for the mass of mossy moseying.

4. Ballmer know sales and that’s why “surface” was repeated so often.  In places like the West Coast where multiple languages merge, its easy to invent new meanings for words.  When Ballmer talks, people listen.

5. Nice picture of the grinder.  What are u saying here.

6. The OEM’s knew something like this was going to happen, so in fact they are completely prepared.  Their tiger teams are meeting right now.  Dell and HPQ have been waiting ten years for this moment. 

7. Ballmer, integration, ball and chain.  MSFT will anchor their users to the desk, if they are still there.  The ones with iPads and MacBooks will take a little work in finding them but we will.  Stop laughing.

8. Magnesium.  Rhymes with magnet.  You’ll like it.

9.  Demoes ?  Friends, those are secrets.  MSFT does not leak secrets.

10. MSFT does not need Apple fanboys to tell them how to make great user interfaces.

11. I dont use tablets and therefore no covers.  Whatever point you are making is irrelevant

12.  As long as the Surface boots, your worries are over.

13. MSFT employees are great at multi-tasking and so are their users.  We have iPhones and Nokias.  We have MacBooks and IBM ThinkPads.    We have MS Stores right near the Apple Stores.  We dont need a lot MS stores because we are efficient at selling.

14. Photoshop is not what sells a Dell.  Customer Support.  You’re way way off base on this one.

15. Our pixels are bigger than your pixels.

16. Mav generously concedes the effectiveness of Panos presentation and the sublime attractiveness of the Touch Cover.

That concludes our presentation.  Mr. Ballmer will be available for questions at a date to be announced next month.

A warm round of applause for our guests from the AFB and Braeburn Group.  We welcome all insight into our products. 

Also, special thanks to our sponsors:  Bill Gates, the Nokia Corporation, Intel and you out there, the Zune generation.

Posted: 20 June 2012 05:39 AM #92

I took a quick look at the January 2010 iPad intro. Steve sitting in the chair demoing that first iPad live. And afterwards reporters/bloggers got a chance to touch, hold and use a working unit. You can find plenty of hands-on vids online. Browsing the web, checking email, typing on the screen, photos, maps, on and on.

Nearly 2.5 yrs. later and Microsoft’s live demo shows only some very basic actions. Reporters get a few minutes to feel up the tablet, but they don’t really get a chance to use it. No typing on the vaunted keyboard covers. Practically nothing truly “hands-on”.

The original iPad hit the shelves 2 months later with over 1,000 iPad-optimized apps.

Surface 1.0 will hit the shelves 3,4 or 5 months later? Hopefully. The 4 Office apps may only be “preview” versions. Will any other Surface-specific apps be ready on launch day?

• Posted: 20 June 2012 08:20 AM #93

westech - 19 June 2012 03:25 PM

First, why did they announce it now?  It is clearly not ready.

I think it has nothing to do with Apple and more to do with Google I/O next week. I think that Microsoft are aiming at the rest of the tablet market and not the iPad. For some reason Microsoft sees Google as the big bad wolf and is trying to take it down with some suicidal moves.

Yes, they are getting the iPad-killer headlines this week, but man if we step back a little, this isn’t an iPad killer, this is an Ultrabook with a removable soft keyboard and a touch screen. It seems to have been designed to let the marketing division produce one of those charts with a list if of features down the left hand side and two columns, iPad and Surface. The surface will be the column with all the ticks and the iPad will have a load of crosses. On paper this looks fantastic for Microsoft. In the real world, however…

Meanwhile look forward to some more Google driven sniping next week.

I am wondering if Apple has held something back from WWDC so that they still have something to announce after the I/O event.

Signature

• Posted: 20 June 2012 10:03 AM #94

Anybody thinks the Win8 phone that’s being announced today will be produced by MSFT, or by the usual suspects?

• Posted: 20 June 2012 10:17 AM #95

.... - 20 June 2012 11:20 AM

Meanwhile look forward to some more Google driven sniping next week.

I am wondering if Apple has held something back from WWDC so that they still have something to announce after the I/O event.

I think Google is going to launch a 7” inch tablet that competes on price that may also establish a beachhead for a 10” tablet later.

• Posted: 20 June 2012 10:23 AM #96

bribery - 20 June 2012 01:03 PM

Anybody thinks the Win8 phone that’s being announced today will be produced by MSFT, or by the usual suspects?

If MSFT is smart, they will announce Samsung Galaxy III availability, in addition to their OS “catch-up” improvements.  If MS mobile has a future, its best chance will be with the Galaxy III.  I don’t see MSFT making the hardware, at least yet.  MSFT has their hands full making the tablet demo an actual product.

Posted: 20 June 2012 11:05 AM #97

Digitimes speculates on tablet pricing

Microsoft outsource Surface tablets to Pegatron; expected prices above US$599
    Monica Chen, Taipei; Joseph Tsai, DIGITIMES [Wednesday 20 June 2012]
    Sources from notebook players have revealed that Microsoft’s 10.6-inch Surface tablet PCs will be outsourced to Pegatron Technology for assembly; however, there is still not a firm estimate for order volumes.

The sources also estimated the end-market price of the Windows 8 Pro-based Surface tablet PC with Ivy Bridge processor to be at least above US$799, while the Windows RT-based model, featuring Nvidia’s Tegra 3, will be priced above US$599.

The sources pointed out that the industrial design of Microsoft’s Surface tablet PCs should attract consumers in the enterprise market, but their high prices are expected to become the biggest obstacle in the market.

The sources also pointed out that the Surface tablet PCs have successfully attracted the attention of consumers, but the strategy also means that Microsoft will directly compete against its downstream partners in the Windows-based tablet PC market. Since Microsoft is only expected to receive limited profits from its own-brand tablet PC products, while greatly offending its clients, the strategy that Microsoft has taken is rather risky.

• Posted: 20 June 2012 11:47 AM #98

.... - 20 June 2012 11:20 AM
    westech - 19 June 2012 03:25 PM

First, why did they announce it now?  It is clearly not ready.

I think it has nothing to do with Apple and more to do with Google I/O next week. I think that Microsoft are aiming at the rest of the tablet market and not the iPad. For some reason Microsoft sees Google as the big bad wolf and is trying to take it down with some suicidal moves.

I think there’s a lot of truth to this although I haven’t thought this one all the way through.

I think Microsoft is definitely trying to stop the bleeding in corporations. Several excellent articles have touched on this. Microsoft owns corporate sales but iPads are making alarming inroads. Microsoft needs to put a stop to this immediately. If the Enterprise accepts the iPad as the norm, or worse, as the standard, then Microsoft’s Goose is cooked.

On the totally other end of the spectrum is Android. Android tablets have struggled mightily. And it appears that Google simply doesn’t know why. Google is supposed to be coming out with a new tablet at I/O. Perhaps they will demonstrate that they “get it”. Perhaps not.

In any case, Microsoft may see Android as the weak link. The Surface may struggle to gain momentum against the iPad, but perhaps it can scoop up the anti-Apple crowd. Who knows.

[ Edited: 20 June 2012 12:55 PM by FalKirk ]      

Posted: 20 June 2012 11:59 AM #99

This now concludes an episode for my creative writing class.

Out there in Microsofty-land, some programmer is going to be dealing with this train wreck.

Posted: 20 June 2012 12:20 PM #100

We may understand Microsoft’s timing of the Surface event a bit better after today’s Windows Phone OS 8 announcement. This is their response to iOS 6 and whatever Google reveals about Jelly Bean next week. It’s likely that today’s event will be disappointing, so perhaps Microsoft wanted to distract the punditry with vaporware that looks interesting.

I actually haven’t seen many “iPad killer” headlines, so most writers are rightfully taking the let’s-wait-and-see attitude. By the time full working reviews of Surface are posted, iOS 6 on iPad will have set the new standard and rumors of the 4th gen. iPad will have begun.

• Posted: 20 June 2012 01:03 PM #101

If I may toot my horn one more time, I’ve published another article on Tech.Pinions entitled:

The Apple iPad Tablet vs. the Microsoft Surface Anti-Tablet

You’ll notice that I liberally stole, er, ah, I mean borrowed from our discussions here on AFB.

Please take a moment to check the article out and comment - for good or for ill - as you will. I want to generate as much discussion on the site as I can. Thanks.

• Posted: 20 June 2012 01:05 PM #102

FalKirk - 20 June 2012 02:47 PM

I think Microsoft is definitely trying to stop the bleeding in corporations. Several excellent articles have touched on this. Microsoft owns corporate sales but iPads are making alarming inroads. Microsoft needs to put a stop to this immediately. If the Enterprise accepts the iPad as the norm, or worse, as the standard, then Microsoft’s Goose is cooked.

No one, including Microsoft is going to stop the bleeding in corporate with a Playbook-like strategy where you demo an incomplete product and promise to ship later.  In my company we sell to Enterprise, and are about to launch an iOS Enterprise-class solution.  This has resulted in working with Apple Enterprise sales.  They had a project starting about 18 months ago to get iOS approved in 300 large enterprise accounts.  That job is done.  Now (Phase 2) they are working at achieving stickiness by working with these customers to embed iPhones and iPads in operations processes.  When that happens, it will be too late in those and many more accounts for Microsoft.  They better hurry up, because reclaiming the Enterprise is going to take another technological discontinuity if Apple succeeds at Phase 2..  The Surface is not that discontinuity.

• Posted: 20 June 2012 01:20 PM #103

I felt quite uneasy watching the Surface show, then realized how clumsily and ridiculously they were trying to ape Apple presentations… it was so unnatural and poorly done…

• Posted: 20 June 2012 01:25 PM #104

Lstream - 20 June 2012 04:05 PM

No one, including Microsoft is going to stop the bleeding in corporate with a Playbook-like strategy where you demo an incomplete product and promise to ship later.  In my company we sell to Enterprise, and are about to launch an iOS Enterprise-class solution.  This has resulted in working with Apple Enterprise sales.  They had a project starting about 18 months ago to get iOS approved in 300 large enterprise accounts.  That job is done.  Now (Phase 2) they are working at achieving stickiness by working with these customers to embed iPhones and iPads in operations processes.  When that happens, it will be too late in those and many more accounts for Microsoft.  They better hurry up, because reclaiming the Enterprise is going to take another technological discontinuity if Apple succeeds at Phase 2..  The Surface is not that discontinuity.

This is really quite interesting.

I’ve been predicting that just such a thing could occur. And now that you’re telling me that it’s actually happening - I’m finding it hard to bring myself to believe it.

• Posted: 20 June 2012 01:30 PM #105

FalKirk - 20 June 2012 04:25 PM

This is really quite interesting.

I’ve been predicting that just such a thing could occur. And now that you’re telling me that it’s actually happening - I’m finding it hard to bring myself to believe it.

What we see happening lines up with what Apple is telling us.  We deal with Corporate IT departments all the time.  There are many examples in Aerospace, Airlines, Consumer Packaged Goods, Heavy Manufacturing, Utilities,  and Energy where we see that iOS is now approved.  Showing up with an iOS app in those places is like showing up with a Windows app years ago.  There is no platform resistance whatsoever.