MB Pro Retina Sound problem.

• Posted: 21 June 2012 05:48 PM

Hi Guys,
    Just got my new MB Pro Retina (which rocks in most ways!)  I did a FW 800 migration from my 08 MB Pro.  Seemed to go without any major hitches.  When I fired up iTunes (~20 gb library, mostly ripped 256)- no sound.  I did some digging and found sound output set to bluetooth headset that I hadn’t used in year.  No Prob.  Change to internal speakers and was ready to be blown away but the sound is horrible.  No high end to the point where it sounded like a two way speaker with no horn.  I did some futzing with eq but when I added high end, it just clips.  I compared same song, no eq to my MB pro 08- huge difference with 08 sounding fine.  I connected headphones and the sound sux through those as well- so I don’t think its the speakers….any ideas?  I have reinstalled iTunes and reorganized library, restarted etc.  thanks in advance!

Posted: 26 June 2012 04:58 PM #1

My initial thought is that perhaps something in the migration munged up the audio drivers that are for your new MBP.

Do you have sound issues if you boot from the recovery partition (if you can tell)? That would be the first step to try. Failing that, building a brand new, clean install and testing audio there would be the next step.

Signature

-Dave Hamilton / The Mac Observer / Mac Geek Gab / Dave on Twitter
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.