One More Thing??

Posted: 24 June 2012 01:22 PM

So, I watched the WWDC again and noticed that there wasn’t the famous… One More Thing.

Got to thinking—how cool would it be for Apple (and AAPL) to announce middle of this week or next a press announcement.. One More Thing.. followed in the next 2 weeks by an announcement for the iPanel or whatever its going to be called. It would totally deflate the Microsoft Slate buzz and whatever comes out of Google this upcoming week at their developer conference.  A true Apple move that would also soften anyone’s interest in buying a TV before holiday season..

Would be so cool to see this.

Posted: 24 June 2012 04:39 PM #1

One more thing is clearly AWOL.    Why it is AWOL is .....  never mind.

Posted: 24 June 2012 05:01 PM #2

The only reason there is buzz is because MS id behind the Surface.

Google will take that buzz this week.

Then everyone will forget about both products two weeks later.

Then in three weeks Apple will report 18 million iPads and we are back focusing on the best company in the world with the biggest products and biggest profits.

No need to do anything differently too quickly.

Any new product will be released when ready.  Time is on our side and with each passing month there will be millions more new Apple product owners who learn more about the iOS and fall in love with this company.

Then when they release the Apple TV the world will go nuts.  Give it 12 more months.

We will have a killer iPhone in Fall, and amazing iMac before Christmas, and incredible iPad 4 in Spring 2013, and the the big bang next Summer.

No need for one more thing surprises.  The horses have left the barn long ago and the tipping point has been reached.  The dual track bullet train of products and profits is gathering speed and nothing will stop it for the next 5 years.

Posted: 24 June 2012 06:15 PM #3

Tetrachloride - 24 June 2012 07:39 PM

One more thing is clearly AWOL.    Why it is AWOL is .....  never mind.

Well, let’s presume all posters in this topic get that already.  Apple isn’t any one person and it’s not personified by the habits or catchphrases of any one person.

At the high risk of stating the obvious, Apple will most likely “preannounce” the Apple television set if it actually exists.  It did for iPhone and it did for iPad and it makes perfect sense for the TV.  Amusingly enough, Apple also preannounced the Apple TV.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 24 June 2012 07:22 PM #4

omacvi - 24 June 2012 08:01 PM

Then in three weeks Apple will report 18 million iPads…

I don’t understand, why are you so pessimistic about iPad sales this quarter?

wink

• Posted: 24 June 2012 08:22 PM #5

greedyn00b - 24 June 2012 10:22 PM
    omacvi - 24 June 2012 08:01 PM

Then in three weeks Apple will report 18 million iPads…

I don’t understand, why are you so pessimistic about iPad sales this quarter?

wink

18M is pessimistic?  I’m at 19M and think that’s an excellent #.

If you’ll recall last quarter, some were 15-18M until Apple announced.  My 12M # actually turned out higher than Apple.

Posted: 24 June 2012 08:34 PM #6

I’m in the high 19Ms at the moment.  115% YOY growth against a much higher unit compare than last quarter would be all kinds of fine.

Whoops, sorry, this is the Apple _TV_ thread.

Well, trying to get back on track, would Retina Apple be satisfied with a mere 1080p TV set, if it ever decided to make an Apple television?  Eventually, every Apple product with an iPad-sized screen or larger will sport better-than-1080p resolution, if I’m reading the tea leaves right.

[ Edited: 24 June 2012 08:39 PM by Mav ]

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 24 June 2012 08:57 PM #7

A “one more thing” event invitation arriving now would be rocket fuel to the stock price, as many would assume its the iPhone 5 being released early. If it wasn’t the iphone 5, it would have to be something major for the share price to not fall back down in a hurry.

on a related note - what will the iphone keynote look like this year? last years keynote was the phone itself, plus a final iOS 5 demo, and the big unveiling of Siri on iPhone 4S.

what will it be this year?

The new iPhone, plus a final iOS 6 demo, and…?

there has to be something special up apples sleeve for the new iphone launch - will it be a secret iPhone 5 exclusive software feature (any guesses?), or will it be another hardware surprise (I’m guessing not, other than updated iPods)?

[ Edited: 24 June 2012 08:59 PM by Burgess ]

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics

Posted: 25 June 2012 01:32 PM #8

Burgess - 24 June 2012 11:57 PM

there has to be something special up apples sleeve for the new iphone launch - will it be a secret iPhone 5 exclusive software feature (any guesses?), or will it be another hardware surprise?

Adam posted this link in another thread. I couldn’t follow the technical details, but a developer in a recent iMore podcast suggested that what Apple incorporated in iOS 6 beta could end up being able to handle NFC.

?Opinion is that Apple is going to incorporate NFC into Passbook. Apple just thinks about how they can make it really easy for the user, and then they figure out how to monetise it. They don?t think about how to monetise it and then tell the user what they can have. It doesn?t work like that,? said Peters.

?There aren?t any transactions in it yet, but I think that?s how Apple is going to sneak up on the industry. They are going to get people used to using it and then all of a sudden they will allow credit cards to be used in there, on the next iPhone, which will include NFC.?

He added: ?There is a lot of debate that NFC will never take off because of all the arguments. But you need to get ready, this is coming. This is going to happen. By the end of the year the majority of smartphones that you go and buy will have NFC on them. If in October the next iPhone comes out and it has NFC on it, it?s game over.?

http://9to5mac.com/2012/06/25/new-iphone-prototypes-have-nfc-chips-and-antenna/

• Posted: 25 June 2012 02:42 PM #9

Drew Bear - 25 June 2012 04:32 PM

Adam posted this link in another thread. I couldn’t follow the technical details, but a developer in a recent iMore podcast suggested that what Apple incorporated in iOS 6 beta could end up being able to handle NFC.

?Opinion is that Apple is going to incorporate NFC into Passbook. Apple just thinks about how they can make it really easy for the user, and then they figure out how to monetise it. They don?t think about how to monetise it and then tell the user what they can have. It doesn?t work like that,? said Peters.

?There aren?t any transactions in it yet, but I think that?s how Apple is going to sneak up on the industry. They are going to get people used to using it and then all of a sudden they will allow credit cards to be used in there, on the next iPhone, which will include NFC.?

He added: ?There is a lot of debate that NFC will never take off because of all the arguments. But you need to get ready, this is coming. This is going to happen. By the end of the year the majority of smartphones that you go and buy will have NFC on them. If in October the next iPhone comes out and it has NFC on it, it?s game over.?

http://9to5mac.com/2012/06/25/new-iphone-prototypes-have-nfc-chips-and-antenna/

You know, there’s a lot of truth in the part I bolded above. I’ve been casually thinking about Passbook since I find it hard to understand features that I don’t have hands on experience with.

The problem right now with NFC is that it’s harder to use than what we already have. You walk into a store. You pull out your phone. You wave your phone past some device. Then you might have to type in a security code. Meanwhile, the guy next to you just swiped his credit card and he’s already out the door with his purchase.

What Apple is doing with Passbook is bringing up the appropriate app at the appropriate time. You walk into Starbucks. The geolocation alerts your phone. It automatically brings up the Starbucks coupons, special offers etc in Passbook. Your phone chimes. You pull out your phone and decide whether to push the button that uses the appropriate offers to buy the appropriate drink that you wanted to buy.

Passbook is not only easier to use than a credit card but it gives you all sorts of economic incentives to use it. And it gives the vendors all sorts of value too since they can hook you on coupons, use it to gather loyalty points, etc.

I still haven’t wrapped my head around it, but I can definitely see that Apple is setting the stage for a big rollout of Passbook in 2013.

Posted: 25 June 2012 04:33 PM #11

For those of us without video, please give an extended hint of what’s going on.

Posted: 25 June 2012 05:19 PM #12

The link goes to a mobile version of the video (I think the title is “Making Change”). It talks about the demise of cash. It starts with the current dominance of plastic (debit & credit cards). Halfway through they get to Square on the iPhone & iPad, but that still uses plastic cards. The video ends without really resolving what could happen when cards are totally removed from the equation.