Google Nexus 7” tablet - starting at $199?

Posted: 29 June 2012 05:59 PM #16

Drew Bear - 26 June 2012 08:47 PM

A 7” iPod touch with Retina display at $299 (8GB) will bury this market segment. Competitors would have to go sub-$150.

As usual an analyst is conservative with estimates (albeit of a non-existent product). Apple is already selling upwards of 20 million iPods touch each year. The 3.5” iPod touch is what will be most cannibalized.

Apple Could Sell $10B Of iPad Minis In FY ‘13, Analyst Says

The analyst thinks Apple can sell 35 million iPad minis in fiscal 2013 at $299, with 25% cannibalization of the larger version of the tablet. He adds that a lower level of cannibalization ? or a higher average selling price ? could drive his estimates higher still.

I would note that this scenario suggests incremental revenues of more than $10 billion ? this for a product that no one is certain actually exists.?Apple never ceases to amaze.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericsavitz/2012/06/29/apple-could-sell-10b-of-ipad-minis-in-fy-13-analyst-says/?partner=yahootix

Posted: 05 July 2012 02:12 PM #17

Interesting factoid from Pogue’s positive Nexus 7 review. I wonder how many service calls Google will receive from customers complaining that the auto-rotate doesn’t work.

...bizarrely, Jelly Bean removes the ability to turn your Home screen 90 degrees into landscape mode on seven-inch tablets.. It?s upright or nothing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/05/technology/personaltech/nexus-7-googles-new-tablet-seriously-challenges-the-ipad-state-of-the-art.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

Pogue still doesn’t understand that developers will not be able to design “decent” (much less “great”) tablet apps for a 7” screen.

...there are precious few tablet-specific apps in Google?s store. There are hundreds of thousands for the iPad…it?s possible that this tablet may finally help solve Google?s chicken-and-egg problem. Maybe once it becomes popular, people will finally start writing decent apps for it…

There must be 10s of millions of 7” Android tablets out there today. That’s a decent size market, similar to the iPad market in 2011. Why haven’t Android developers written tablet apps for that market? Is it because they can’t?

• Posted: 05 July 2012 02:46 PM #18

Drew Bear - 05 July 2012 05:12 PM

Pogue still doesn’t understand that developers will not be able to design “decent” (much less “great”) tablet apps for a 7” screen.

Serious question: Why then do you think that iOS developers will be able to develop “decent” tablet Apps for a 7 inch iPad?

Posted: 05 July 2012 03:37 PM #19

The Nexus 7 and other Android 7” tablets have widescreen aspect ratio displays (i.e. long and narrow). That effectively makes them much smaller than a comparable iPad Mini would be, so small in fact, that they’re less than half the size of the iPad display. But a critical difference for the 7.85” iPad Mini is that it would be 66% the size of the iPad display. Developers could tweak their apps, but that very well may be just large enough for many people to use most existing iPad apps “as is”.

Signature

The only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. — Steve Jobs

Posted: 05 July 2012 03:46 PM #20

The only problem is “less pixels”.  If Apple does release an iPad mini, I’d be very interested in seeing how they address that going forward (the first year, I doubt it’d be an issue).

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 05 July 2012 04:15 PM #21

Here is an article linked to by John Gruber of Daring Fireball that attempts to address the interface issues facing a possible iPad 7.85 inch tablet.

The case for a 7.8 (inch) iPad

[ Edited: 05 July 2012 04:21 PM by FalKirk ]      

Posted: 05 July 2012 05:45 PM #22

FalKirk - 05 July 2012 05:46 PM
    Drew Bear - 05 July 2012 05:12 PM

Serious question: Why then do you think that iOS developers will be able to develop “decent” tablet Apps for a 7 inch iPad?

I don’t think Apple would consider the 7” device a tablet. They’d consider it a larger iPod touch and use an adjusted version of the iPhone/iPod UI. It would do exactly what all the 7” Android devices currently do and run phone apps. Developers would only need to make minor adjustments to the iPhone version of their apps, not create a new category of apps for this tweener size.

I understand what Gruber and others are saying about the 7.85” screen. It would have the added advantage of being cheaper than a Retina display. But unless Apple is trying to hit the $199 price point at much lower margins, it would face stiff competition with the Nexus 7’s higher resolution screen.

Apple doesn’t usually compete on price first. They make better products and charge more for them. $299 for a 7” Retina screen, an extra camera, etc. is almost certainly superior to the Nexus 7 and rumored Kindle Fire 2. But maybe they’ll take the low-price tack this time and shoot for $249 with a “good enough” screen and all the other advantages intact. It wouldn’t be the first time since the iPhone 3GS and iPad 2 already have non-Retina displays.

If Apple does take the non-Retina route, the article you link to in another post answers how developers would modify their current iPad app.

• Posted: 05 July 2012 06:04 PM #23

Drew Bear - 05 July 2012 08:45 PM

I don’t think Apple would consider the 7” device a tablet. They’d consider it a larger iPod touch and use an adjusted version of the iPhone/iPod UI. It would do exactly what all the 7” Android devices currently do and run phone apps. Developers would only need to make minor adjustments to the iPhone version of their apps, not create a new category of apps for this tweener size.

I understand what Gruber and others are saying about the 7.85” screen. It would have the added advantage of being cheaper than a Retina display. But unless Apple is trying to hit the $199 price point at much lower margins, it would face stiff competition with the Nexus 7’s higher resolution screen.

This explains part of my confusion. We don’t even know if this thing is going to be a big iPod Touch or a small iPad.

I still think logic dictates against a 7 inch tablet, but the “smoke” from the rumors and reports is becoming overwhelming.

And Drew Bear, thank you for the reply. Much appreciated.

Posted: 05 July 2012 06:29 PM #24

Drew Bear - 05 July 2012 08:45 PM

If Apple does take the non-Retina route, the article you link to in another post answers how developers would modify their current iPad app.

Retina or not, developers will be dealing with displays that are the same number of pixels as the entire iPad line-up—iPad/iPad 2 or New iPad with Retina display. No biggie. I could see Apple releasing both regular iPad Mini and more expensive Retina versions.

[ Edited: 05 July 2012 10:47 PM by Apple II+ ]

Signature

The only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. — Steve Jobs