How many iPhones did apple sell in Q3?

Posted: 11 July 2012 01:41 AM #16

My WAG is 29m.

• Posted: 11 July 2012 09:06 PM #17

In order for iPad to be 20M+, iPhone has to be roughly 30M in order for Apple’s total revenue guidance to be accurate ( it will be, as it always is).

• Posted: 12 July 2012 10:51 PM #18

Jason thinks the “anal"ists have been quite consistently wrong and are clueless once again this quarter:
    http://seekingalpha.com/article/718691-6-reasons-iphone-will-surprise-analysts?source=yahoo

• Posted: 19 July 2012 12:03 PM #19

The Verizon number is out, 2.7M, and it means 31.3M iphones according to my horrible math,  a total guess on regional sales, and assuming the US share of sales remains the exact same (which is probably wrong since it’s been falling over time)

Image Attachments

Screen shot 2012-07-19 at 8.03.19 AM.png

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

Posted: 19 July 2012 12:22 PM #20

Thx for the spreadsheet.    Anybody else have iPhone sales dissection insight or even wags ?

Posted: 19 July 2012 01:40 PM #21

Video of Jeffries’ Peter Misek talking about the iPhone 5, but warning about China’s recession and its impact on consumer electronics.

Thinner? Wider? Details on the iPhone 5 Emerge

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007

• Posted: 19 July 2012 01:56 PM #22

JDSoCal - 19 July 2012 04:40 PM

Video of Jeffries’ Peter Misek talking about the iPhone 5, but warning about China’s recession and its impact on consumer electronics.

China may have a recession but Apple is so under penetrated there it won’t have a material impact on Apple for some time. They can’t produce enough stuff to sell there once they get 100 more stores and 10,000 more retailers and China Mobile and….

• Posted: 19 July 2012 02:29 PM #23

I think he’s an empty suit.  At a minimum, he’s glib.

• Posted: 19 July 2012 03:56 PM #24

AppleDoc - 09 July 2012 10:30 PM
    Surfrover - 30 June 2012 07:21 AM

I suspect that many people are aware that the iPhone 5 is soon to be released & like many of them, I will wait to see just how good it really is before deciding on an upgrade.

That simply does not apply to the general population. Not everyone pays attention to when the latest iPhone will release.

Agreed.  According to ATT sources, the #1 quarter for handset sales is the December quarter.  This could explain Apple moving new iPhone launches from June/July to late September/early October.

As for users waiting to see what the upgrade is before jumping in, I think the overwhelming majority upgrade when contracts expire.  The number that compare new features to existing features are minimal.

Between September quarter 2010 and March quarter 2011 Apple sold 49,000 iPhones.  That period does not include several handset markets added since then.  Currently I am modeling 44 million iPhones sold in the December quarter 2012, but expect after next week’s conference call I will upgrade that number.

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

• Posted: 19 July 2012 04:00 PM #25

Tetrachloride - 19 July 2012 03:22 PM

Thx for the spreadsheet.    Anybody else have iPhone sales dissection insight or even wags ?

BSilent took a different tack than I did to estimate June quarter sales, but the result is nearly the same.  I’m in at 31.0 million (with a possible upside to 31.9 million).

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

Posted: 19 July 2012 04:01 PM #26

...Jeffries’ Peter Misek talking about the iPhone 5, but warning about China’s recession and its impact on consumer electronics.

How have recessions in other countries impacted sales of Apple products? It is earnings season and we are hearing company after company blaming poor performance on the global recession. Apple will not be joining in that blame game.

• Posted: 19 July 2012 04:02 PM #27

Mercel - 19 July 2012 05:29 PM

I think he’s an empty suit.  At a minimum, he’s glib.

Can’t argue with that sentiment.  A recession means (among other things) 3 consecutive quarters of negative growth.  Uh uh.  Not happening.

Signature

Posted: 19 July 2012 06:04 PM #28

I’d like to revise WAG from 29M to 31M.  I think China will surprise us AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN!!!!  So friggin excited for Tuesday!!!!!  I’m going to the driving range…..

Signature

Because Longer is better…....

Posted: 19 July 2012 08:08 PM #29

I’m sticking with a 28 million target.

Verizon iphone sales were good, but Apple faced less competition in the states than it did internationally in June - in particular the Galaxy S3 was available internationally from the end of May and sold very well.

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics

• Posted: 19 July 2012 08:18 PM #30

Burgess - 19 July 2012 11:08 PM

I’m sticking with a 28 million target.

Verizon iphone sales were good, but Apple faced less competition in the states than it did internationally in June - in particular the Galaxy S3 was available internationally from the end of May and sold very well.

I almost hope you’re right. 28 million iPhones means we’ll get ~22 million iPads (far more important than iPhone for the June Q).