iPad mini/Air Central

Posted: 03 July 2012 06:37 PM

Rumor chatter is picking up about a 7.85” iPad nano.

Let’s see if a consolidated rumor topic is the best way to collect the rumor discussion.

Honestly, I don’t know why Apple would offer a Retina Display in both models.  Could Apple fit a 2048x1532 screen into a smaller iPad?  The hyper-sharp display would inevitably result in usability challenges for that “tweener” device Steve Jobs spoke of in his infamous 7” tablet rant.  I mean sure, it’s not 50% of the current iPad’s screen real estate, but it ain’t exactly 75% either.  Still gotta get that sandpaper ready.

Tell me where I’m wrong - and where Apple can miniaturize without sacrificing performance, battery life, connectivity (unless Apple intends to drop cellular for this model) and pricing coherence (i.e. pricing iPad nano at $349 or less), and making devs’ lives more difficult.

[ Edited: 10 September 2012 08:05 PM by lovemyipad ]

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 03 July 2012 06:54 PM #1

I contend the iPad nano can be a success without Retina.    Then in 6 months, it can go Retina.

• Posted: 03 July 2012 07:04 PM #2

I am all for this product, unlike the “iPhone Nano” which I think would be idiotic to release. Apple should cover every segment of this market. So what if it cannibalizes sales of the “full iPad”? Apple can own this entire market and not cede any of it to anyone. If Apple cedes the lower/smaller product market to others it could eventually invite them to enter the “full iPad” market. Maybe that doesn’t matter since they can’t really compete well anyhow but if Apple simply takes the entire market there is less of a perceived threat. AAPL should soar even higher as a result. Apple is going to own the future of computing with the iPad and iPhone and whatever comes next. iPad nano has a big role to play in that.

• Posted: 03 July 2012 07:37 PM #3

I couldn’t have said any better myself.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-07-03/here-comes-nexus-7-nightmare-the-ipad-mini.html

Posted: 03 July 2012 07:56 PM #4

What is the target market.  Bigger then the pocket?  Useable on the go, at the beach which means we can read the screen and have less invested that when we drop it in the sand we don’t flip out.  I think if it deliver a outdoor waterproof screen which fits in the backpack/purse and can deliver the digital goods them we have a market.  All indications are that Apple has bought a bunch of machinery to run Sharp’s IGZO lines and they have yet to show where they are deploying this tech.  IGZO is a great piece of tech if they figured out the yield issues.  It is lower power & cheaper then existing LTPS and you can integrate the touch module making for a thinner/lighter device.  Resolutions above 500 ppi are possible.  My guess is if Apple decides to enter the market it will be an IGZO retina display at a $250 price.

Posted: 03 July 2012 07:59 PM #5

There is NO Apple product anything close to a Panasonic Toughbook or with built-in protections like an OtterBox case.  That’s just not how Apple does things. 

Electronics are electronics.  Use with care, don’t get food/liquid on ‘em and drop ‘em on concrete or sand or whatever.

Durability/ruggedness will NOT be a new iPad’s calling card, I’m quite sure.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 03 July 2012 08:10 PM #6

pats - 03 July 2012 10:56 PM

What is the target market.  Bigger then the pocket?  Useable on the go, at the beach which means we can read the screen and have less invested that when we drop it in the sand we don’t flip out.  I think if it deliver a outdoor waterproof screen which fits in the backpack/purse and can deliver the digital goods them we have a market.  All indications are that Apple has bought a bunch of machinery to run Sharp’s IGZO lines and they have yet to show where they are deploying this tech.  IGZO is a great piece of tech if they figured out the yield issues.  It is lower power & cheaper then existing LTPS and you can integrate the touch module making for a thinner/lighter device.  Resolutions above 500 ppi are possible.  My guess is if Apple decides to enter the market it will be an IGZO retina display at a $250 price.

Target market? Those who want an iPad and only have $250 or so to spend. I’m thinking the market will be gargantuan around the world. I am all for getting people to pay up for products (no iPhone nano, please) but in this market I say cover the entire market and don’t give anyone else a fighting chance.

• Posted: 03 July 2012 08:25 PM #7

I’m hearing out of twitterverse that Apple will use older 3GS screens for the iPad mini.
    Makes tons of sense and unlike nexus 7, they will actually make money. I’m no app dev
    but hearing from some dev friends that the smaller screen won’t be a big headache for them
    to convert to.

My wag is Apple will intro a wifi model first in September with lte capability soon to follow just as
    they did with the original iPad launch. Apple can be very secretive and mysterious but also very predictable. Also new iPhone in September as well. Don’t be surprised
    to start hearing news of vacation blackouts for September.

Posted: 03 July 2012 08:26 PM #8

Uh…what?

Find some better Twitter accounts to follow.  You must mean older iPad 1/2 screens.

I don’t know about resolution wars at the 7” tablet level.  1024x768 is a fine resolution but other slightly smaller tablets have higher res.  This is one of the big reasons I’ve doubted the viability of an iPad nano anytime soon.  Apple prefers to push the envelope of technology.  No one needed a Retina MacBook Pro.  Heck, today’s vid cards have their hands full just rendering the screen!  And yet, 2880x1800 is here.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 03 July 2012 08:29 PM #9

Don’t disagree but what can you deliver at a walmart price?  The 7” ereader is an at the beach device IMO, because it is better then anything on the market for reading at the beach except print. Everyone’s focus in the press is on the size of the screen. The key is does it do something important better then existing devices.  The 7”  makes a great reading on the go device so if Apple delivers that at 250 and it survives in the sand and sunshine then we have an interesting device.

Posted: 03 July 2012 08:32 PM #10

iPad nano…at the beach…

The Spinning Beach Ball...how did we all miss it?

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 03 July 2012 08:50 PM #11

People who have non-apple phones but want the iOS experience is an audience. If you already have an iPhone, a 7"er doesn’t make much sense, you go for the iPad.

Can Apple incorporate better sunlight reading in the next iPad, can it be a hybrid of sorts?

Posted: 03 July 2012 08:52 PM #12

Matte iOS screen LOL.

Ahem.  Sorry about that.  But it’s true.  Matte is a synonym for passe in Apple’s book, except for those whiny pros who MUST have their washed-out reduced-glare screens.  For one more year, anyway.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 03 July 2012 09:31 PM #13

Sunlight readability is critical if they want a mobile mid screen.  Why not buy an eink screen?  Color and refresh speed.  So if you can’t deliver on both dont waste your time.  If Apple is building a 7” device then the screen will play a key role.

• Posted: 03 July 2012 09:44 PM #14

I’m all for the 7” size.

What makes the most sense is using a Retina screen cut down to a 1024x768 size. It would be physically smaller than ipads 2 & 3 are now, but from developer standpoint would be EXACTLY the same as the ipad 2. The apps don’t care how big the pixels are, only the overall horizontal and vertical resolution.

Why cede 7” to others, so they can use it to learn the ropes of building tablets, creating a viable ecosystem, etc? I prefer a scorched earth approach.

Posted: 03 July 2012 09:47 PM #15

I don’t see an iPad Mini.

Those who chose the 7” tablet did so to save money.  There have been 3 or 4 tablets in that category.  None have done well despite the lower price.

Apple is doing well with the existing size and will just keep discounting the older model for those who are price sensative.  As it is the new iPad sales better then the cheaper one. 

SJ did not just make things up when he downplayed the 7”.  They played enough in the lab with that size to realize that the user exprience is much better on the 9.8”.

A move to a 7” iPad would be defensive in nature not offensive. So far the original iPad and its size are still king and no one comes even close to making a dent.