iPad mini/Air Central

• Posted: 03 July 2012 10:13 PM #16

Apple will likely (and should) do this.  The Nexus 7 is probably the most viable competition yet for Apple’s iPad, abeit in a smaller form factor. 

Just as the iPod nano extended its market (and killed the competition), so will a 7.85” form factor, leveraging Apple’s superior ecosystem.

[ Edited: 04 July 2012 12:40 AM by ByeTMO ]      
  • Posted: 03 July 2012 10:18 PM #17

omacvi - 04 July 2012 12:47 AM

I don’t see an iPad Mini.

Those who chose the 7” tablet did so to save money.  There have been 3 or 4 tablets in that category.  None have done well despite the lower price.

Apple is doing well with the existing size and will just keep discounting the older model for those who are price sensative.  As it is the new iPad sales better then the cheaper one. 

SJ did not just make things up when he downplayed the 7”.  They played enough in the lab with that size to realize that the user exprience is much better on the 9.8”.

A move to a 7” iPad would be defensive in nature not offensive. So far the original iPad and its size are still king and no one comes even close to making a dent.

Surprise, Surprise. Completely disagree. This move would be hugely offensive in nature. No defense needs to be played (or even can be played) to defend a market (smaller-than-ipad tablets) that doesn’t yet exist. And if iPhone and iPod work on a 3.5 inch screen you better believe a 7 inch screen will have tons of uses.

Posted: 03 July 2012 10:37 PM #18

Just as the MacBook Air cannibalized sales of the MacBook Pro, the iPad cannibalized sales of all MacBooks.  A smaller 7” iPad will cannibalize sales of existing iPads and lower ASP slightly.  That said, Apple doesn’t shy away from cannibalizing it’s own products if it means staying ahead of the competition.

Signature

Tim Cook: iPad is 91% of all tablet web traffic. I don’t know what these other tablets are doing.

Posted: 03 July 2012 11:00 PM #19

Is there an “iPod mini” use case for the iPad?

If/when Tim Cook and Co. can figure it out and make it work great, that’s when we’ll see it.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 03 July 2012 11:08 PM #20

Mav - 04 July 2012 02:00 AM

Is there an “iPod mini” use case for the iPad?

If/when Tim Cook and Co. can figure it out and make it work great, that’s when we’ll see it.

I suspect that all the kids who love playing games on the iPod Touch would naturally gravitate to something a bit bigger.  I think it would mostly cannibalize the Touch.

• Posted: 03 July 2012 11:20 PM #21

I’m all for it.  The smaller size would be great for kids, great for books, great for car interoperability, more mobile in general, less expensive.  I would imagine there would be a lot more multiple iPad-owning families, and a lot more iPads in kid’s hands at school and otherwise…..

A smaller size might also appeal to the service industries—many workers in the field who need email, need to log into company apps and data, light web use—would be well served by a smaller tablet.  Cheaper, plenty of power and screen to get the job done, lighter, more mobile.  Excellent GPS and map software.  A perfect tool for folks who work out of van or pickup

Leverage the ecosystem, full speed ahead.  Others have made the point that the iPhone was constrained in it’s early days because of manufacturing capacity and carrier exclusives.  Why not broaden the iPad market and put some hurt on the competition while they are still weak?  No real constraints to accelerating iOS devices at this point.

I don’t think that MS Surface and coming Android tablets are as DOA as some people think.  There are millions of potential buyers out there who don’t understand what difference an OS makes.  They would like an iPad, but their Kindle Fire is almost as good (so they hope—they don’t really know because they’ve never really used a smart mobile OS of any flavor).  Apple should go after these people.  With a 7” iPad sold at slight premium ($250-$350), there would be a lot less Android 7” tablets sold.

• Posted: 03 July 2012 11:55 PM #22

iPad Mini
    or iPod Touch XL.
    iPod Touch as a product is close to maxing out. I kind of see this device filling that niche
    minus the pocket ability. But for gaming and traveling entertainment this device could be a huge hit.
    Kids always travel with a bag/backpack.

It’s almost a direct competitor with the Samsung Note type device.

The cheaper price point will also appeal to large education buyers.

• Posted: 04 July 2012 12:45 AM #23

I think that the new touch screen technology makes a smaller iPad feasible. That might very well be why they haven’t made one yet. The new in-cell tech makes for better and more precise touch detection, and so effectively “sands you fingertips to a point” :D

[ Edited: 04 July 2012 12:49 AM by dduck ]      

Posted: 04 July 2012 12:50 AM #24

I’ve said this before. At 7.85” it will have the same pixel density as an iPhone. Not sure how important that is, but it seems significant to me.

I think it’s a great idea as long as it makes as much as, or more profit than, the iPad 2 but at a lower price point. $299?

Signature

The only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. — Steve Jobs

Posted: 04 July 2012 12:52 AM #25

molsonite - 04 July 2012 02:55 AM

iPad Mini
    or iPod Touch XL…

as long as it’s not maxiPod

Signature

The only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. — Steve Jobs

Posted: 04 July 2012 12:53 AM #26

iPad nano COULD be an excellent companion for an Apple television set as well as a standalone device. 

Just saying.

If both products are actually in development, I bet they’d show up around the same time.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 04 July 2012 02:51 AM #27

I suspect that all the kids who love playing games on the iPod Touch would naturally gravitate to something a bit bigger.  I think it would mostly cannibalize the Touch.

Absolutely for kids playing games….starting around age 10.  , and also would give more kids access to an eReader and educational apps.

Apple might do a new Touch vs. calling it an iPad.

Signature

“My mind hovers on hummingbird wings.”  D. Eggers

• Posted: 04 July 2012 03:38 AM #28

dduck - 04 July 2012 03:45 AM

I think that the new touch screen technology makes a smaller iPad feasible. That might very well be why they haven’t made one yet. The new in-cell tech makes for better and more precise touch detection, and so effectively “sands you fingertips to a point” :D

Touch has been great for iPhone for years. No need for new touch tech to make a smaller iPad good for touch.

Posted: 04 July 2012 11:40 AM #29

adamthompson32 - 04 July 2012 06:38 AM
    dduck - 04 July 2012 03:45 AM

Touch has been great for iPhone for years. No need for new touch tech to make a smaller iPad good for touch.

The difference is weight reduction.  With in cell you are removing one layer of glass which will improve outdoor readability and reduce weight thickness.  Walker has a nice overview brief which show the stackup of the different layers.

• Posted: 04 July 2012 11:45 AM #30

firestorm - 04 July 2012 02:08 AM

You’re getting to the core of what I’ve been thinking: Apple does not so much need an iPad Mini as they need an iPod Maxi (ugh, I know, maybe iReader or iPod Reader).

A 7” pad will have exactly the problem the PC manufacturers erroneously claim for the iPad: OK for consumption, but limited viability for real productivity beyond some light messaging. But oh man, it would be great as a portable game player, and pretty good as an e-reader—and not so bad for out-of-office keeping in touch, light email, light web browsing, maps, even some very small & simple custom enterprise apps for workers on the go…

As for resolution, what’s the current resolution of the iPod Touch? Would pixel-doubling the screen and then scaling apps that have not been upgraded work like it did for iPhone and iPad? But I assume pixel-doubling an iPod Touch to a much larger screen would not be retina-like resolution—so would Apple need to go quad instead, or just leave this device at coarser resolution.

One thing’s for sure, they will *not* just keep the original iPad 1024x768 resolution and stuff it into a 7” screen so that iPad software will not know the difference and not need to change, as someone suggested in this thread. Sorry, but that’s just a flat-out stupid idea—shrinking all the controls (and text) that much would be a usability nightmare, and Apple prefers to leave those to its competitors. If it did go 1024x768, I guarantee Apple would be pushing devs to update their software—but frankly they’d be more likely to go 1280x1920, present it as 640x960 so that current apps would see it as a retina iPhone, and then have time to adapt…