iPad mini/Air Central

• Posted: 16 August 2012 02:30 AM #391

TanToday - 15 August 2012 05:06 PM

It would be stupendous if this was the first product made using the exclusive right to manufacture LIQUID METAL in consumer electronics…..

.... it would be far cheaper than milling aluminum, and the buzz factor would be off the charts!

Apple Locks In Liquidmetal For Two More Years

The new evidence that Apple is serious about Liquidmetal is found in the 8-K filed by Liquidmetal Technologies, Inc with SEC on June 18, 2012. Here is the relevant portion from the 8-K:

On June 15, 2012, Liquidmetal Technologies, Inc. (the ?Company?) and Apple Inc. (?Apple?) entered into an amendment (the ?Amendment?) to the Master Transaction Agreement that they previously entered into on August 5, 2010 (the ?MTA?)?  Under the Amendment, the parties agreed to amend the MTA to extend the February 5, 2012 date to February 5, 2014.

I took off my GTC order of LQMT today, hoping of this outside chance bearing fruit.  This would be very exotic, very sexy.  Something that Sammy could not even copy.

Posted: 16 August 2012 03:30 AM #392

It would be stupendous if this was the first product made using the exclusive right to manufacture LIQUID METAL in consumer electronics…..

.... it would be far cheaper than milling aluminum, and the buzz factor would be off the charts!

If AAPL saw this as the future, they would have made their move a long time ago.  The company’s current market cap is under $50M, they have $8M in debt/liabilities vs $1.5M cash, and only 14 people work there.  I’m pretty sure an offer of $75M would have been immediately accepted.  AFAIR, according to the SEC, AAPL wouldn’t even have to report it, since it’s not material to the company’s balance sheet.

I see this more of a hedge, a contract that gets extended every couple of years for a few thousands, because they see something potentially valuable, and want to have first dibs, but it’s not good enough and/or scalable enough for AAPL.  Keep giving them just enough to keep it out of competitors hands.  Say, $2M/year, so they stay around, and you basically own the technology if you want it.

• Posted: 16 August 2012 10:29 AM #393

mjuarez - 16 August 2012 06:30 AM

If AAPL saw this as the future, they would have made their move a long time ago.  The company’s current market cap is under $50M, they have $8M in debt/liabilities vs $1.5M cash, and only 14 people work there.  I’m pretty sure an offer of $75M would have been immediately accepted.  AFAIR, according to the SEC, AAPL wouldn’t even have to report it, since it’s not material to the company’s balance sheet.

I see this more of a hedge, a contract that gets extended every couple of years for a few thousands, because they see something potentially valuable, and want to have first dibs, but it’s not good enough and/or scalable enough for AAPL.  Keep giving them just enough to keep it out of competitors hands.  Say, $2M/year, so they stay around, and you basically own the technology if you want it.

This is a good point. I’m wondering, though, if acquiring liquid metal is necessary given Apple has exclusive consumer-product-use rights. Also, Apple seems to avoid materials/hardware acquisitions, with the exception of maybe the semiconductors acquisitions (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mergers_and_acquisitions_by_Apple). I obviously haven’t put much thought into this, but I think you’re right that the acquisition would have occurred if liquid metal were to be a key and differentiating input.

Posted: 21 August 2012 01:59 AM #394

iPad mini ( or nano or Air….personally, I like Air) getting ready to roll

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/08/20/apple-to-ramp-up-7-85-ipad-mini-production-in-september/

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

Posted: 21 August 2012 02:32 AM #395

I see this as a key feature of either the 8th Generation iPhone (2014) or a iPhone Air (20??). From what I can gather Liquid Metal seems to primarily offer the huge benefit of being extremely beneficial for Wireless frequencies to easily penetrate, and also potentially be ligher/thinner/stronger than other options.

I wonder if they can incorporate power storage into a liquid metal casing….

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics

Posted: 21 August 2012 08:10 PM #396

Rumor: Apple resellers dedicating more display space for iPad ahead of new model launch

By AppleInsider Staff

Published: 04:58 PM EST (01:58 PM PST)

Apple Premium Resellers in Europe have reportedly been asked to make adjustments to display space dedicated to the iPad, with some locations saying Apple has mandated the work be completed by Sept. 12.

According to MacRumors sources, Apple has informed a number of authorized European resellers to dedicate more floor space to the company’s tablet line, hinting that the much-rumored “iPad mini” may soon arrive in stores.

One of the sources cited a Sept. 12 deadline date for the reconfiguration, the same day Apple is expected to debut a next-generation iPhone at an as-yet-unannounced special event. Initial rumblings said both a new iPhone and a smaller iPad would be launched simultaneously, however intervening reports have pushed back the tablet’s release to as late as October.

While the exact product Apple may be readying for launch is in question, resellers point out Mac Pro and Mac mini models are being removed entirely from some stores. At one location, space dedicated to the iPad has tripled. Other product displays being scaled back include iPods and associated accessories.

Apple is widely rumored to be launching a 7.85-inch version of its popular tablet sometime this fall, with a report on Monday saying the company’s suppliers are preparing for a manufacturing ramp up that will see production of four million units per month starting in September

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/08/21/rumor_apple_resellers_dedicating_more_display_space_for_ipad_ahead_of_new_model_launch.html

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

• Posted: 22 August 2012 08:42 PM #397

I believe there’s a good chance the 7.85” iPad Air gets announced on Sept. 12, possibly as a “one more thing…” as kind of a salute to the memory of Steve Jobs (and anniversary of his death).

[ Edited: 25 August 2012 12:16 PM by ByeTMO ]      

Posted: 23 August 2012 11:29 AM #398

PedroCarcinomas - 23 August 2012 09:29 AM

I believe the next iPad is to incorporate a software technology called “television anytime anywhere” produced by Motive television plc from Europe. This will enable broadcasters to broadcast TV direct to iPads using a broadcast cloud. Will go live in San Francisco first and then rolled out to rest of the US.

This would certainly cause me to re-look my entire home setup.

• Posted: 23 August 2012 06:55 PM #399

I’ve been wrong so often that I’ve purchase a lifetime supply of crow just to have it readily available at any time. And I’ve been biting my tongue every time someone said that the iPhone and the new iPad were going to appear on the same stage at the same time.

“Don’t say anything”, I’ve told myself. “If you just don’t say anything, they won’t know that you were wrong - again”.

But…

...I’m with Gruber. The iPhone will stand on stage alone.

I’ll prep some crow.

• Posted: 23 August 2012 07:39 PM #400

AUGUST 23, 2012
    iPhone 5 and iPad mini events ?

John Gruber:

I?m thinking it makes more sense for Apple to hold two events. First, an iPhone event, focused solely on the new iPhone and iOS 6. Then, the iPhone ships nine days later, and there?s another wave of iPhone-focused attention as the reviews come out. Then, in the first or second week of October, Apple holds its traditional ?music event?, exactly along the lines of the events at which they?ve been debuting new iPods for the last decade.

Oh that Gruber is a smart fellow.

Dalrymple has spoken.

Posted: 23 August 2012 08:00 PM #401

If AAPL saw this as the future, they would have made their move a long time ago.

Not necessarily.  The tech is new and may require refining of the large scale manufacturing that would be required.  What better company (with deep pockets) to fuel development of this new tech.  Apple will use it when it is ready for prime time.  Who knows when that will be though.

Disclosure:  Long LQMT

Signature

“Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.”
    - Jimi Hendrix

Posted: 23 August 2012 08:04 PM #402

Edited topic to better reflect the state of play re: the new, smaller addition to the iPad family.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 24 August 2012 08:46 PM #403

Dalrymple, you’re not even _trying_ to hide it now…

On loopinsight.com, not far down the page…

Apple will decimate competitors with 7-inch iPad

My latest column on Techpinions looks at what I think will happen to the tablet market after Apple releases a 7-inch iPad.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 24 August 2012 08:54 PM #404

The story from Jim D right here ! 
    TechPinions

Every line is pro-iPad, especially iPad Nano.

The competition is going to have some digestion problems for a while.  Why they don’t just shut down is beyond me.

• Posted: 25 August 2012 12:16 PM #405

Mercel - 22 August 2012 11:42 PM

I believe there’s a good chance the 7.85” iPad Air gets announced on Sept. 12, possibly as a “one more thing…” as kind of a salute to the memory of Steve Jobs (and anniversary of his death).

October works fine for an iPad Air launch, a one-more-thing tribute.