iPad mini/Air Central

• Posted: 04 July 2012 07:26 PM #46

I think Apple decided to kept the iPad 2 around at a lower price point to start attracting a greater iPad market as the bridge to a smaller/less expensive future device.  Also made sense to drop IPad numbering so you didn’t have iPad 3 alongside iPad mini. I’d like to see it integrate as a remote control.

Posted: 04 July 2012 07:29 PM #47

adamthompson32 - 04 July 2012 10:24 PM

Did anyone on Earth take SJ seriously with the comment about 7” being too small? That was sales, marketing, and biz strategy 101. If an iPhone and iPod Touch aren’t too small, a much bigger 7” iPad isn’t too small for people’s fingers.

Of course!

Because 7.85” screens are best LOL

Also, because Apple hadn’t yet found a way to make smaller tablets rock (code for:  Let’s go after the lower-hanging fruit with 10” tablets first).

That’s a good point with the naming, CanApple - it’s been one of the stronger indirect pieces of evidence that a new member of the iPad family is on the way.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 04 July 2012 07:48 PM #48

gliderplane - 04 July 2012 09:04 PM

What apps would suitably port to iPad mini if the res were 1960x1280? iPhone apps wouldn’t benefit from the extra pixels, and ipad apps have the small fingers problem. So I don’t see how 1960x1280 on a 7 or 7.85” device would work.

Find an app NOT optimized for the iPad and hit the 2x button to scale it up to fit the iPad screen. Everything gets larger, but looks pixelated. I presume that would not happen with a 7” screen if developers follow Apple’s new UI guidelines. The important point is there will be no finger filing necessary.

The benefit of a larger screen for iPhone apps will primarily be for content such as images, video and text. A larger browser with larger touch points would be welcomed by most people. The Mail app would show more text on a larger screen. Photos, movies, books and games on a larger screen will also offer a significantly better experience.

Posted: 04 July 2012 08:03 PM #49

Did anyone on Earth take SJ seriously with the comment about 7” being too small? That was sales, marketing, and biz strategy 101. If an iPhone and iPod Touch aren’t too small, a much bigger 7” iPad isn’t too small for people’s fingers.

Right. It’s not too small for a touch-based interface. But it does matter for what SJ called “great tablet apps”. Screen size does let you do different things with an iPad than an iPhone.

But the diagonal measurement alone isn’t enough info. You also need the aspect ratio. Other 7” tablets are widescreen and only 45% the area of an iPad. But a 7.85” iPad Mini is 66% the area of an iPad. I think that will work fine for most iPad apps.

I doubt Apple built the iPad at the limit of usability for “great tablet apps”. I think the iPad Mini will be near that limit, however. Apple needed the first iPad to be more clearly differentiated from the iPhone than a 7.85” iPad would have been, to establish the iPad market. I’m sure they had the Mini in mind back then. Now the iPad market is ready for it’s little brother to come along.

Signature

The only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. — Steve Jobs

Posted: 04 July 2012 09:35 PM #50

I was wondering why everyone was talking about the ipod nano the last couple of days - temporary dyslexia smile

My thoughts are that reports are missing that it is rumored to be a 7.85? screen, as opposed to 7? screens on the cheap ?competitors?.

It may not sound like much, but that extra 0.85? gets you a large amount of extra useful screen real estate.

Apples tablet line up come December:

iPod touch 8Gb: $199
    iPad 7.85? 8GB: $299
    iPad 2 16GB:  $399
    New iPad 16GG:  $499

edited to add ipod touch to the lineup

[ Edited: 04 July 2012 09:49 PM by Burgess ]

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics

• Posted: 04 July 2012 09:57 PM #51

Mav - 04 July 2012 10:29 PM

Of course!

Because 7.85” screens are best LOL

Also, because Apple hadn’t yet found a way to make smaller tablets rock (code for:  Let’s go after the lower-hanging fruit with 10” tablets first).

That’s a good point with the naming, CanApple - it’s been one of the stronger indirect pieces of evidence that a new member of the iPad family is on the way.

It makes a ton of sense to go with the “full iPad” first and then drop the hammer with the “small iPad” later. Here are some reasons:

1. Train people to buy iPad at the higher price point first. Provide a ton of value at the higher price point.

2. Only going with a “full iPad” at first invites competitors to go with their “small tablet” iPad wannabe offering. Apple can then come in and crush it.

3. One size (“full iPad”) focuses developers and consumers eliminating confusion and fragmentation (not that this fragmentation would be anything like Fandroid fragmentation).

4. Get people accustomed to “full iPad” first so that the perception of “small iPad” is somewhat diminished relative to “full iPad”. This will help mitigate cannibalization in the future. If someone wants “full iPad” they’ll be more likely to buy it than “small iPad” instead.

5. Covering every price point and size increases Apple’s scale even further allowing for better margins throughout the entire product line.

I’m sure there are other reasons but these are the few I can think of. Apple is going to crush all of the competition in the iPad market.

Posted: 04 July 2012 10:35 PM #52

Its going to be a very big December quarter. VERY big. 30 million ipad + 50 million iphones = $20+ EPS easy.

keeping the ipad 1 & 2 resolution on a smaller screen made from the iphone 3GS glass makes heaps of sense:

- 100,000’s of exisitng iPad apps will work natively from day one, no developer tweaks needed.
    - DPI is better than the ipad 1 & 2 (beter text readability).
    - thinner device is possible due to reduced battery size (compared to a retina unit)
    - The glass that has been used since the 3GS was introduced will be INCREDIBLY CHEAP, great for margins.
    - the new smaller mini A5 CPU is already powering some iPad 2 displays, it will def be able to power the same resolution at 7.85” so no need to worry about using up A5X supply of chips.

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple

Posted: 04 July 2012 10:56 PM #53

AT, it would basically be a repeat of the iPod but for tablet computing.  We’ll see if this chorus of rumors is actually true in a few months.

One thing I’m wondering - unlike so many currently active smaller tablet competitors (or it is all of ‘em?  Haven’t been following really), would Apple bundle in cellular SKUs?  I’d have to think yes.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 04 July 2012 11:26 PM #54

adamthompson32 - 05 July 2012 12:57 AM

It makes a ton of sense to go with the “full iPad” first and then drop the hammer with the “small iPad” later. Here are some reasons:

1. Train people to buy iPad at the higher price point first. Provide a ton of value at the higher price point.

2. Only going with a “full iPad” at first invites competitors to go with their “small tablet” iPad wannabe offering. Apple can then come in and crush it.

3. One size (“full iPad”) focuses developers and consumers eliminating confusion and fragmentation (not that this fragmentation would be anything like Fandroid fragmentation).

4. Get people accustomed to “full iPad” first so that the perception of “small iPad” is somewhat diminished relative to “full iPad”. This will help mitigate cannibalization in the future. If someone wants “full iPad” they’ll be more likely to buy it than “small iPad” instead.

5. Covering every price point and size increases Apple’s scale even further allowing for better margins throughout the entire product line.

I’m sure there are other reasons but these are the few I can think of. Apple is going to crush all of the competition in the iPad market.

I agree.  Apple would be making a mistake giving Google a beachhead with the Nexus 7.  By releasing an iPad Mini, Apple would be both offensive-and-defensive-minded, making it very tough for Google to leverage its Nexus 7 into something larger.  I put the odds at 90/10 in favor of an iPad Mini. 

Look for a September launch.

Posted: 04 July 2012 11:30 PM #55

I can see a combo iPad mini and new iPhone launch.

It’s possible that iPad mini + an Apple television could launch together as well, but if iPad mini is for real I think Apple will just put laser focus on that new product for this year.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 04 July 2012 11:41 PM #56

Mav - 05 July 2012 01:56 AM

AT, it would basically be a repeat of the iPod but for tablet computing.  We’ll see if this chorus of rumors is actually true in a few months.

One thing I’m wondering - unlike so many currently active smaller tablet competitors (or it is all of ‘em?  Haven’t been following really), would Apple bundle in cellular SKUs?  I’d have to think yes.

I think your right Mav - why wouldnt Apple have a cellular option? especially when you consider the usefulness of a 8” device as the worlds best GPS unit.

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple

• Posted: 05 July 2012 12:02 AM #57

Burgess - 05 July 2012 02:41 AM
    Mav - 05 July 2012 01:56 AM

I think your right Mav - why wouldnt Apple have a cellular option? especially when you consider the usefulness of a 8” device as the worlds best GPS unit.

It will help justify a premium on the Apple version since Nexus 7 is wifi only.

Posted: 05 July 2012 12:21 AM #58

I know that my iPad feels so much more useful with onboard cellular…

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 05 July 2012 12:51 AM #59

Mav - 05 July 2012 03:21 AM

AT&T CEO said he thinks every device will have cellular in the future. Vested interest, sure. But i see the same outcome.

Posted: 05 July 2012 01:00 AM #60

adamthompson32 - 05 July 2012 03:51 AM
    Mav - 05 July 2012 03:21 AM

AT&T CEO said he thinks every device will have cellular in the future. Vested interest, sure. But i see the same outcome.

Once they start offering shared data plans across multiple devices then non-phone cellular device use should explode.

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple