iPad mini/Air Central

Posted: 05 July 2012 01:07 AM #61

Burgess - 05 July 2012 12:35 AM

I was wondering why everyone was talking about the ipod nano the last couple of days - temporary dyslexia smile

My thoughts are that reports are missing that it is rumored to be a 7.85? screen, as opposed to 7? screens on the cheap ?competitors?.

It may not sound like much, but that extra 0.85? gets you a large amount of extra useful screen real estate.

Apples tablet line up come December:

iPod touch 8Gb: $199
    iPad 7.85? 8GB: $299
    iPad 2 16GB:  $399
    New iPad 16GG:  $499

edited to add ipod touch to the lineup

It’s also the aspect ratio, not just 7” vs. 7.85”. Apple’s 4:3 yields more square inches at the same diagonal than others’ 5:3 or wider displays.

Signature

The only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. — Steve Jobs

• Posted: 05 July 2012 02:32 AM #62

If at all possible they want to strengthen the iPad ecosystem rather than the iPhone ecosystem. The tablet scene is where they have the best chance to establish dominance for a decade or more.

Posted: 05 July 2012 02:34 AM #63

Each is important.  iPhone will be the most important unless iPad ever surpasses it in units/revenue.  Which I find hard to imagine given the size of the handset market and the inevitable shift to smartphones.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 05 July 2012 03:20 AM #64

Mav - 05 July 2012 05:34 AM

Each is important.  iPhone will be the most important unless iPad ever surpasses it in units/revenue.  Which I find hard to imagine given the size of the handset market and the inevitable shift to smartphones.

I tend to agree. Smart phone market is 5x bigger than PC market (assuming all phones are smart phones in the future). iPad market could grow much larger than PC market but it will take years if it’s ever to happen. Many new use cases will need to arise. With Siri coming to autos it means iPad isn’t coming to autos. That would be the only mass market I can see right now where the use case gets big enough to surpass smart phones. If every restaurant on Earth uses iPad for menus and POS systems maybe it can get there though. Who knows? iPad is in its infancy still. But smart phones will rule for another five years or more. iPhone is most important now and for at least a few more years. Maybe iPad catches up in five years.

[ Edited: 05 July 2012 12:07 PM by adamthompson32 ]      
  • Posted: 05 July 2012 10:46 AM #65

I will be getting both my parents an iPad mini for Christmas if it does release. I think it would be the perfect entry device for them into the Apple ecosystem.

Posted: 05 July 2012 12:06 PM #66

It won’t be branded as iPad Mini or Nano, it will be an iPod Touch XL.

Signature

Tron is cool

• Posted: 05 July 2012 12:11 PM #67

gliderplane - 04 July 2012 09:04 PM

Gruber and others are suggesting 7.85” and 1024x768, but wouldn’t 7” and 960x640 be more sensible?

I certainly think so. If I had to bet, I’d put my money on 6.5” @ 960x640.

Posted: 05 July 2012 01:40 PM #68

dlstarr7 - 05 July 2012 03:06 PM

Yes. Although this has been pointed out here at AFB many times over the past year, it seems that the mainstream punditry still miss the significant difference between the tablet UI and phone UI.

If you take an iPad and hold it upright in portrait view, and draw an imaginary horizontal line halfway down the screen, the screens on these seven-inch tablets are a bit smaller than the bottom half of the iPad?s display. This size isn?t sufficient to create great tablet apps, in our opinion. ?Steve Jobs

Clearly the 3.5” iPhone screen was large enough to create great phone apps, so Jobs was not criticizing a smaller screen size per se. He was criticizing attempts to cram a tablet UI into a screen half the size of an iPad.

This is why putting a 7” device into the iPod touch family is more than semantics. Just as you currently cannot install an iPad-optimized app (225,000 and counting) on an iPhone, I don’t think the 7” device would have access to those apps either.

Posted: 05 July 2012 02:37 PM #69

Drew Bear - 05 July 2012 04:40 PM

... Just as you currently cannot install an iPad-optimized app (225,000 and counting) on an iPhone, I don’t think the 7” device would have access to those apps either.

Except the iPhone display is 12.5% the size of the iPad and would be 19% the size of a 7.85” iPad Mini. Put another way, the iPad Mini at 7.85” would be 66% the size of the iPad and over 5x the size of the iPhone.

I keep saying it, because the aspect ratio is critical. 7” widescreen is not even close to a 7.85” 3:4 aspect ratio display.  A 7.85” iPad Mini will be huge by comparison to tiny 7” widescreen tablets.

Signature

The only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. — Steve Jobs

Posted: 05 July 2012 04:53 PM #70

I am sorry but I don’t see an iPad Mini.

Several reasons.

It would canablize the iPad.  That itself is not bad except the iPad is still growing at an incredible rate and it will do so for several more years. When the iPad was canabalizing MacBooks that was a compromise Apple was willing to make because it was a new product category that strengthened the iOS ecosystem.  If you can’t afford a touch at $199 why would you buy an iPad at $299.

Secondly why would Apple lower their margins by selling a cheaper version of their star product?
    They make good margins in the iPod Touch and they sell well.  Same for the iPads.

Thirdly, if they were really interested in an iPad Mini they would have build it first.  They did not because the user exprience was not radically different from the iPod touch.

Fourthly there is no mass market for a small iPad.  There is no threat or market opportunity they are missing out on.

I don’t see a iPad Mini anytime soon no matter what WSJ says.

Posted: 05 July 2012 05:35 PM #71

Sponge,

You have it backwards. Another iPad doesn’t cannibalize the iPad. I fully expect Apple to make just as much money on iPad Minis as they do on other iPads. It might disrupt the iPod Touch, however.

Also, the possibility of a 7.85” iPad seemed obvious four months ago, including the name “iPad Mini”. It was kind of obvious even as early as the original iPad intro in 2010:

Apple II+ - 09 March 2012 02:24 PM

This display has been a long time coming. The original iPad is nonpareil, but the relatively low resolution display has been a major flaw, IMO. Blocky pixels no more!

Note that at the same pixel density of an iPhone Retina display, 326 ppi, and the same pixel dimensions as the new iPad, 2048x1536, you have a 7.9 inch iPad—iPad mini anyone?

[edited to remove unwarranted self-aggrandizement]

[ Edited: 05 July 2012 06:24 PM by Apple II+ ]

Signature

• Posted: 05 July 2012 07:39 PM #72

omacvi - 05 July 2012 07:53 PM

Fourthly there is no mass market for a small iPad.  There is no threat or market opportunity they are missing out on.

No mass market?  Respectfully, you’re wrong here:

1 - Education, particularly elementary (<18)
    2 - Field services in industry, think anyone in a van or truck
    3 - Any mobile worker needing specific limited-purpose apps
    4 - Cost-conscious consumers inc children

Have a think about the size of these markets. It’s huge.

Posted: 05 July 2012 08:01 PM #73

LongAAPLsince02 - 05 July 2012 10:39 PM
    omacvi - 05 July 2012 07:53 PM

No mass market?  Respectfully, you’re wrong here:

1 - Education, particularly elementary (<18)
    2 - Field services in industry, think anyone in a van or truck
    3 - Any mobile worker needing specific limited-purpose apps
    4 - Cost-conscious consumers inc children

Have a think about the size of these markets. It’s huge.

The iPad is perfect for all those folks.  I would entertain a 4.5 inch iPod Touch just for gaming angle.

Marketing 101.  Don’t introduce a new product until existing product reaches max growth.

The iPad was introduced to counter iPod decline.  Give it at least two more years before the iPad Mini.

• Posted: 05 July 2012 08:22 PM #74

The 4.5 inch iPod touch will be called an iPhone. 

Marketing 102 first time customers are customers for life. Nexus and fire will smoke the current ipod touch at the current price point.  I can see tons of uses for the 7.85 iPad.

The iPad was introducd to counter the iPod decline?  I don’t see the similarity in products.  Maybe iPad revenue took the place of iPod declining revenue, but products are far different.

Posted: 05 July 2012 08:57 PM #75

dlstarr7 - 05 July 2012 03:06 PM

I don’t think so, as I expect something with an almost 8” screen to run apps designed for the iPad, rather than blowing up iphone/ipod touch apps (which look rediculous scaled up on ipads with huge interface buttons etc).

It will have to be some variation on the iPad name for sure.

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics