iPad mini/Air Central

• Posted: 06 July 2012 01:07 AM #76

dlstarr7 - 05 July 2012 03:06 PM

It won’t be branded as iPad Mini or Nano, it will be an iPod Touch XL.

This is the way I’d do it.  Price $299.  Maybe I’d call it the iPod Touch Pro, but XL would be OK.

• Posted: 06 July 2012 01:44 AM #77

capablanca - 06 July 2012 04:07 AM

This is the way I’d do it.  Price $299.  Maybe I’d call it the iPod Touch Pro, but XL would be OK.

I don’t think Apple is going to concede the branding of iPad to a product that is on the wrong side of the growth curve. 

iPad something—I don’t even mind iPad 8 to upstage Nexus 7 with a rounding adjustment.

Posted: 06 July 2012 01:55 AM #78

capablanca - 06 July 2012 04:07 AM

I just dont see it - if it runs iPad apps it obviously is an iPad right?

It would completely screw the ecoysystem simplicity, can you imagine going to the App store and seeing two categories of apps: one labelled “iPhone & iPod touch 3.5”, and the other “iPad & iPod touch XL”. Plus all the current ipod touch apps would look horrible scaled up, they aren’t even designed for the same screen size ratio.

[ Edited: 06 July 2012 02:00 AM by Burgess ]

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics

Posted: 06 July 2012 02:38 AM #79

Burgess - 06 July 2012 04:55 AM

...if it runs iPad apps it obviously is an iPad right?

It depends on the display size. I have no experience with a ~8” tablet running true tablet UI apps. I’ve played around a bit with a 7” Android tablet running scaled phone apps and am assuming Apple can figure out a way to make that work to meet their standards.

So a 6-7” screen would fall into the iPod touch category and run iPhone/iPod touch apps, while a 8-9” screen would fall into the iPad family and run iPad apps. The App Store sections would remain as-is. This is assuming, of course, that the iPad UI could be scaled down to the smaller size to Apple’s satisfaction.

• Posted: 06 July 2012 06:36 AM #80

On whether call it iPod or iPad, the following came to my mind. If the new device is within the pricerange of existing 7” devices and it is called “iPad whatever” wouldn’t this automatically lift all these 7” devices to the status of iPad competitor? By calling the new device “iPod whatever” Apple would make clear that everything smaller than iPad is NOT an iPad.

• Posted: 06 July 2012 02:14 PM #81

ghobi - 06 July 2012 09:36 AM

On whether call it iPod or iPad, the following came to my mind. If the new device is within the pricerange of existing 7” devices and it is called “iPad whatever” wouldn’t this automatically lift all these 7” devices to the status of iPad competitor? By calling the new device “iPod whatever” Apple would make clear that everything smaller than iPad is NOT an iPad.

Bingo.  Calling the midsize device an iPod does not damage the iPad brand; rather it protects it.

Posted: 06 July 2012 03:32 PM #82

It has to fit in your pocket to be an iPod. A 7.85” display says “iPad” no matter what they call it. Calling it an iPod would be a major screw-up.

Signature

The only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. — Steve Jobs

• Posted: 06 July 2012 03:43 PM #83

Apple II+ - 06 July 2012 06:32 PM

It has to fit in your pocket to be an iPod. A 7.85” display says “iPad” no matter what they call it. Calling it an iPod would be a major screw-up.

Very well argued.

• Posted: 06 July 2012 03:53 PM #84

If the new device is within the pricerange of existing 7” devices and it is called “iPad whatever” wouldn’t this automatically lift all these 7” devices to the status of iPad competitor?

No. The market decides what is and what isn’t a competitor. So far, there is no real 7” tablet market. There will be soon. It’ll be the mini iPad market and there won’t be much, if any, competition.

Posted: 06 July 2012 04:30 PM #85

Exactly! I’ve often wondered if these “hot” $200 Android tablets are selling as well as the $200 iPod touch. 20 million Kindle Fires per year? I doubt it.

Fred Wilson posted some early thoughts about the Nexus 7 tablet…Wilson said he put some of his favorite apps on the home screen. What strikes me about this is that there aren?t that many apps on his home screen and a couple of his most favorite aren?t even available on this device… What is also striking to me is that the apps he chose are honestly pretty ugly UIs from what I have seen of them…Wilson states that he really likes the Nexus 7, that his primary use case is reading in the Kindle app. Before he said all that though, he talks about how much better the Kindle app is on the Kindle Fire.

http://brooksreview.net/2012/07/wilson-nexus-7/

So it is primarily an e-book reader? For sheer portability I still prefer reading e-books on my iPhone (and previously on a Retina iPod touch) than on my Retina iPad. Many more page turns on the smaller device, so I can understand why a 7 inch screen would be nearly ideal.

A larger iPod touch would also be excellent for many games and as a GPS device. But for web browsing, email and apps like Flipboard, iMovie, iPhoto, GarageBand, Evernote, Notability, Khan Academy, ArtRage, etc. the larger iPad screen is much better. Even video and magazine apps are better on the larger screen. I doubt 10 finger typing would be possible on a 7 inch device.

I think the distinction between tablet (iPad) and mini-tablet (iPod touch) is a combination of screen size and UI. Portability rather than “pocketability” is a secondary factor.

Other unknowns: if the iPhone screen size and aspect ratio changes, will that carry over to the next iPod touch? How about the 7” device?

Posted: 06 July 2012 07:44 PM #86

http://yfrog.com/h36j2np

Posted: 06 July 2012 10:30 PM #87

Drew Bear - 06 July 2012 10:44 PM

That’s a great picture - the blogosphere needs to wake up to the difference between the 7” form factor and the rumoured 7.85” iPad mini form factor - they are completely different.

And the 4:3 7.85” screen is in no way appropriate to run iPod touch apps, it’s designed to run iPad apps.

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics

• Posted: 06 July 2012 10:56 PM #88

If you orientate the mini horizontally, isn’t it the same width as the width of a normal iPad vertically?  This would be ideal for scrolling in safari because websites and PDF files would not be shrunk.

Posted: 06 July 2012 11:21 PM #89

huskerrx - 07 July 2012 01:56 AM

If you orientate the mini horizontally, isn’t it the same width as the width of a normal iPad vertically?  This would be ideal for scrolling in safari because websites and PDF files would not be shrunk.

Yes, and 2/3 the height. The 7” Androids would be less than half the height.

Signature

The only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. — Steve Jobs

• Posted: 06 July 2012 11:51 PM #90

Drew Bear - 06 July 2012 10:44 PM

Great post.