Traveling

• Posted: 07 July 2012 07:39 PM #16

freejak - 06 July 2012 07:55 PM

Whole generations are nearing adulthood who have done 90% of their ‘typing’ not on keyboards, but on phones.

Their thumbs won’t have any trouble with a 7” form factor.

It might be a little early for the rest of us, but it’ll be right on schedule for them. Kiss QWERTY goodbye.

I think Apple will absolutely own this market if they introduce a 7” iPad.

I see the point you’re making, but 90% of typing is a huge overstatement.  Especially if you’re talking about actual typing, and not instant messaging or texting.

If its the latter, they already have an iphone.  They don’t need a 7” iPad.

This is not to mention that apple already owns the market.  If apple introduces a smaller, cheaper iPad to draw in the bottom feeders, it will cannibalize some of their market for the higher profit ipads at the same time, and I don’t think they want to do that.

I know just about everyone here wants to see new product announcements at any cost, but if they release
    a 7” iPad it will signify the beginning of the end of what we like about apple in the first place.  Products that are smart and make sense, nota flooded market of everything they think a few people might buy.

• Posted: 07 July 2012 08:22 PM #17

stilep - 07 July 2012 10:39 PM

I know just about everyone here wants to see new product announcements at any cost, but if they release
    a 7” iPad it will signify the beginning of the end of what we like about apple in the first place.  Products that are smart and make sense, nota flooded market of everything they think a few people might buy.

Would you feel the same way about a 6.5” iPod?

Posted: 07 July 2012 08:41 PM #18

zewazir - 06 July 2012 03:53 PM

About a year ago, now, I got my wife a Kindle.  She LOVES it, and quite literally takes it everywhere, including church and work.  It fits quite nicely in her purse, which makes it very convenient for her to haul around.  An iPad of current configuration would not fit in her purse, and as such, it would not be anywhere nearly as convenient to casually carry around as part of one’s every day complement of items to have on hand.

I believe a 7” iPad would sell like hot cakes, even at a price 30-50% above other 7” tablets.  It would be a big hit, if not a full-on grand slam for Apple to add it to their lineup.  People who need the larger screen ill always have the full-size iPad to choose from, while those needing more portability, but simultaneously more screen than a smart phone, will LOVE a 7” iPad.

Disclaimer: I, personally, have no real interest in either, as my needs lean heavily toward a MacBook than a tablet.

Interesting indeed: I purchased and sold the most recent iPad. Didn’t care for the interface AT ALL. i.e. painful text editing. JMO!  Anyway, the new 11” Air kicks the iPad to the curb big time and is just a bit over 2” wider and about the same depth. 500% more useful to ME when creating content…..........  again, JMO rolleyes

Now, a ~7” iPad might make sense to me as an ultimate run-n-gun consumption interface. I’m really hoping Apple brings one out this fall. Think it would be a HUGE success. Again, JMO!

OH, the iwife loves her iPad so put the flame throwers away please.

Back on topic: When we flew to Yellowstone this last winter MOST of the laptops we saw were Apple brand. I always wince when I see some poor schmuck carting around a huge Win laptop.  :-o

cheers
          JohnG

Posted: 08 July 2012 04:11 PM #19

At the Paris pool nothing but iPhones.  Last night along the strip lots of iPhones with young club folks.

A ritz bag store had an iPad on display to be used in shopping.  Many folks including me were using their iPads to film and take pictures around Vegas.

It feels so good to a stock holder knowing most of those folks will now buy Apple products for life.

By the way the Vegas economy is booming.  Thousands of people here.

[ Edited: 08 July 2012 04:14 PM by omacvi ]      

Posted: 08 July 2012 04:27 PM #20

omacvi - 08 July 2012 07:11 PM

At the Paris pool nothing but iPhones.  Last night along the strip lots of iPhones with young club folks.

A ritz bag store had an iPad on display to be used in shopping.  Many folks including me were using their iPads to film and take pictures around Vegas.

It feels so good to a stock holder knowing most of those folks will now buy Apple products for life.

win some money for your future options account!

Posted: 08 July 2012 04:52 PM #21

kloot - 08 July 2012 07:27 PM
    omacvi - 08 July 2012 07:11 PM

win some money for your future options account!

I don’t gamble.  I rather use my money for a nice hotel, shopping, dinner and a show.  The money I save by not gambling allows me to invest in AAPL smile

By the way AT&T reception has improved a great deal here in Vegas.

Will stop by the Apple Store in Fashion Mall and will give a report.

Posted: 08 July 2012 05:26 PM #22

greedyn00b - 07 July 2012 11:22 PM
    stilep - 07 July 2012 10:39 PM

Would you feel the same way about a 6.5” iPod?

6.5” is too big a display to be an iPod. The essential quality of an iPod is pocket-sized. I expounded on this in this post:

Apple II+ - 07 July 2012 06:44 AM

I still contend that an iPod needs to be pocketable, which to me means not much bigger than a stack of 3x5 index cards, including bezels/buttons/etc. So up to a 5.6” display and the same 3:2 aspect ratio and pixel dimensions as the iPhone would be the limit of what I’d consider for an iPod.

Signature

The only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. — Steve Jobs

Posted: 08 July 2012 06:03 PM #23

I’m in the Seattle-TAcoma airport.  Had a little time on my hands. Walked two concourses and the Alaska airlines lounge.  Counted very carefully and occasionally asked. Question about a device if the cover made I.d. Tough.

On a summer Sunday, we find:

Four first generation iPads
    Twenty- six second generation iPads
    Nineteen third generation iPads
    Six iPod touchs ( all gens) ....some could have been iPhones but were being kid-utilized.

Note….I couldn’t always tell the iPad generations apart, but thickness between one and two guided me and retina display helped differentiate the third….but the mix could be wildly wrong. But they were iPads.

Two galaxy tabs…( interestingly, being used by people sitting next to each other. Samsung employees?)

Seventeen first and second generation kindles.
    Six kindle Fires

One Playbook!  It was tethered to a Blackberry, so my rare sighting of this odd creature may be validated. It did not appear to be thriving.

Four 7 inch tablets forms that were not Kindles. Acer?  Not sure.

No Xoom.  Sad. Might be extinct in the wild.

Phones?  Sorry…...hundreds….lots of iPhones and who can differentiate the Android multiverse? Not me.

Gotta catch a plane…and TSA is starting to follow me around….hmmmm

[ Edited: 08 July 2012 06:06 PM by Red Shirted Ensign ]

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

Posted: 08 July 2012 07:17 PM #24

Red Shirted Ensign - 08 July 2012 09:03 PM

Gotta catch a plane…and TSA is starting to follow me around….hmmmm

Start talking with a Russian accent and ask about nucular wessels.