Next iPhone has to have a drop dead gorgeous design

• Posted: 06 July 2012 03:53 PM

An elongated iphon4 won’t do.

I know ios6 and the performance specs are going to be over the top.

But if the design is not mind blowing as well We may have a seriouse problem….. With the competition doing what they are and iPhone being The key product for apple at this time!

I am nervouse ....at the same time I am excited.

We need to see a trully unique and mind blowing design and form factor!

What are your thought?

• Posted: 06 July 2012 04:54 PM #1

An elongated iPhone 4 would be drop-dead gorgeous. It’s been two years since the iPhone 4 release and I still marvel at the design. There’s not another phone on the market like it—I think the current design has a lot of life left and will go down as one of the truly iconic designs of all time.

• Posted: 06 July 2012 05:18 PM #2

Francisco Geraci - 06 July 2012 07:54 PM

An elongated iPhone 4 would be drop-dead gorgeous. It’s been two years since the iPhone 4 release and I still marvel at the design. There’s not another phone on the market like it—I think the current design has a lot of life left and will go down as one of the truly iconic designs of all time.

I respectfully disagree.
    1)-It has been 2 years with this deign.. It has lived its life ....
    2)- though it may be elegant looking .. It is no where near an ergonomicly comfortable design with the sharp edges.
    3) elongated design will look awkward and not be easy to port apps designed for the present aspect ratio.

• Posted: 06 July 2012 05:24 PM #3

Software and ecosystem are for more important to Smartphone success now, than the design of an individual phone.  So, I don’t agree that Apple needs a drop dead gorgeous design.  Of course they will almost certainly create a winning physical design again.  Plenty good enough, almost no matter what the details of the design turn out to be.  Apps and overall user experience now rule the day.

• Posted: 06 July 2012 05:26 PM #4

There are many design choices in the Android world.

Apple often settles on a great design and then iterates the design. If you put too much hope in a radical new design, you may be disappointed. You may also be overestimating the difficulty in porting apps to a different screen resolution. I think Gruber had a post about this a few weeks ago.

• Posted: 06 July 2012 05:36 PM #5

You are right in the fact that the ecosys and performance are of outmost importance. And apple will kick butt there.

But I just feel that a gorgouse design is very important too.. With the competition being what it is,there is no room for complainceny

And looks go a long way in first impressions. And for many could be deciding factor!

But I am glad u guys feel the way you do… It eases my concerns a bit!
    Cheers

• Posted: 06 July 2012 05:46 PM #6

Yojimbo - 06 July 2012 08:36 PM

You are right in the fact that the ecosys and performance are of outmost importance. And apple will kick butt there.

But I just feel that a gorgouse design is very important too.. With the competition being what it is,there is no room for complainceny

And looks go a long way in first impressions. And for many could be deciding factor!

Cheers

Totally disagree. Competition won’t matter much until we hit saturation in the smart phone market. Right now there really isn’t competition as Apple sells every phone it can make. Once we hit saturation, platforms will have to compete for share. iOS will win that battle too but right now they don’t have to beat anyone.

• Posted: 06 July 2012 06:02 PM #7

adamthompson32 - 06 July 2012 08:46 PM
    Yojimbo - 06 July 2012 08:36 PM

Cheers

Totally disagree. Competition won’t matter much until we hit saturation in the smart phone market. Right now there really isn’t competition as Apple sells every phone it can make. Once we hit saturation, platforms will have to compete for share. iOS will win that battle too but right now they don’t have to beat anyone.

That is what I categorize as complaincancy ...
    Approach like that ..and in no time apple will be dust.
    But I firmly believe apple does not think like that and they are in full competitive mode of operation.

Just hope they don’t slip up on design.

Posted: 06 July 2012 06:09 PM #8

The reality is, the first thing most people do with their new iPhone is stick it in some Burka-like case, hiding its design from the world completely, but for the screen.

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007

Posted: 06 July 2012 10:25 PM #9

JDSoCal - 06 July 2012 09:09 PM

The reality is, the first thing most people do with their new iPhone is stick it in some Burka-like case, hiding its design from the world completely, but for the screen.

You’re right.  I don’t remember ever seeing an iPhone in the wild without a case.

Signature

Waiting to be included in one of Apple’s target markets, but I still own an iPod, iPhone and iMac and APPL stock.

Posted: 06 July 2012 11:15 PM #10

Or they put it in a blender ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWP8OUytprE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Signature

Striving to exceed the needs of the future.

• Posted: 06 July 2012 11:24 PM #11

It is a shame… To hide the design and the work that has gone into making it ... and not enjoy it!

I keep mine uncovered.  Don’t like making it bulkier and like to see the thing as it was designed.

Now if it was a mediocre design ... Then maybe I would use a case.

I see a lot of people who don’t use cases..  But you are right .. Most do.

• Posted: 07 July 2012 12:49 AM #12

I’ve had the iPhone 4 for two years, no case.  It is the only thing I have ever used continuously for that long that still looks as good as the day I took it out of the box. 

When I get my next iPhone (September?) I will not put the 4 in a drawer.  It is too valuable.  Like my first iPads and my first MacBook Air, I will hand them down to friends and family.  Apple products in the modern era bring huge smiles to recipients after years of use.  Thanks SJ and JI.

Posted: 07 July 2012 02:15 AM #13

I agree, the iPhone 4 design is incredible, I don’t mind if the basic form factor remains for the next few years, just like the iPhone 3G design still is being sold today 4 years on in the 3GS.

From what I can tell, every single android phone on the market now is made out of plastic - they just try and impress with huge screens - the cases themselves feel flimsy like they would break if you twisted it.

The iPhone 4: Glass & metal, no way you are twisting that apart. Pure class.

And of course you don’t hide it in a case, it’s a work of god damn art!

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics

Posted: 07 July 2012 04:00 AM #14

The iPhone 4 design IS drop dead gorgeous. Keeping it is a fine option. Always interested to see what else Ive and company come up with, but between the Retina MacBook and the forthcoming iPad Mini and Apple TV, they might want to wait on a new iPhone design. Apple is really good at pacing themselves.

Signature

The only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. — Steve Jobs

• Posted: 07 July 2012 11:00 AM #15

Apple II+ - 07 July 2012 07:00 AM

Apple is really good at pacing themselves.

No question.. They are!

What is it that they are not good at…
    Just an increadible company.

[ Edited: 07 July 2012 11:09 AM by Yojimbo ]