Next iPhone has to have a drop dead gorgeous design

Posted: 09 July 2012 01:20 PM #31

Yojimbo - 06 July 2012 08:18 PM

I respectfully disagree.
    1)-It has been 2 years with this deign.. It has lived its life ....
    2)- though it may be elegant looking .. It is no where near an ergonomicly comfortable design with the sharp edges.
    3) elongated design will look awkward and not be easy to port apps designed for the present aspect ratio.

I have to disagree with all of the above:

First, if the most compelling design leaks are accurate, the next iPhone won’t just be longer than the iPhone 4 - the back and sides will consist of a single piece of gunmetal grey-colored metal, and there will be other subtle design differences, as well.

Second, I’ve read about the iPhone 4’s ‘sharp edges’ numerous times, and I just don’t get it. *Rubs the edge of his iPhone 4, briskly across hand, then inspects hand* Hmmm… Not even the slightest abrasion. As for being ergonomically comfortable, I think it would take quite some time, holding the iPhone 4 way too tightly, to cause any real discomfort, and I have pretty big hands.

Lastly, if an elongated design would make the next iPhone look awkward, what does that say about all of those Android phones with truly oversized screens? I’ve seen a number of those phones in use and it always looks like the user is having no fun wrapping their hand around the width of the device when using it as a phone. A lot of users are indicating that they want a bigger display on the next iPhone. With a longer, but not wider shape, the next iPhone will provide more screen real-estate without making the phone less comfortable to hold.

As for the purported issue(s) related to a 1136???640 display (the same as the iPhone 4/4s, but 176 pixels taller), here is some evidence showing that those issues may not really amount to anything: http://daringfireball.net/2012/05/bigger_display_iphone_thing_wwdc

Signature

Just remember one thing….

Posted: 09 July 2012 01:38 PM #32

Yojimbo - 07 July 2012 02:25 PM
    adamthompson32 - 07 July 2012 02:08 PM

Personally, design doesn’t matter much to me, but I’m confident for those that it does, Apple will release another nice looking phone soon.

I love good design .. For esthetics and ergonomics…
    And when the two are in harmony…. magic happens!

I totally agree with you, here.

However, you seem to think that the iPhone 4/4s design it long in the tooth, and that Apple should replace the current design with something quite different to better compete with all of the new designs that other phone makers have released. To me, your two opinions don’t seem to jive. I believe that the iPhone 4/4s is a great example of elegant form joined with excellent function. If Apple were to keep totally reinventing the iPhone design, to keep up with all of the other phone makers’ attempts to better the iPhone, it would waste a lot of time and resources that they could otherwise use to polish and refine the great design they’ve already come up with.

Signature

Just remember one thing….

• Posted: 09 July 2012 02:46 PM #33

MOSiX Man - 09 July 2012 04:38 PM

Personally, design doesn’t matter much to me, but I’m confident for those that it does, Apple will release another nice looking phone soon.

However, you seem to think that the iPhone 4/4s design it long in the tooth, and that Apple should replace the current design with something quite different to better compete with all of the new designs that other phone makers have released. To me, your two opinions don’t seem to jive. I believe that the iPhone 4/4s is a great example of elegant form joined with excellent function. If Apple were to keep totally reinventing the iPhone design, to keep up with all of the other phone makers’ attempts to better the iPhone, it would waste a lot of time and resources that they could otherwise use to polish and refine the great design they’ve already come up with.

• Posted: 09 July 2012 02:57 PM #34

MOSiX Man - 09 July 2012 04:38 PM

Change in a product cycle is very important… People like to be able to distinguish their new device from the old ones… It is simple consumer psychology ..
    U may personally Not feel this way, but in general people care about showing off their device as the newest and latest. ... And when u sell something in 10s of millions , one has to be concerned about the mass consumer approach and psychology.

As fir the ergonomics.. Well the iPhone 3G felt a Lot better in the hand.. But did not look as elegant.
    iPhone 4 looks better and does not feel as good in the hand.
    As I posted before.. IMHO great design is when ergonomics and esthetics merge harmoniously.. That is when the magic happens.

I agree with the awkwardness of giant phones that look funny and can’t be used with one hand.
    But a 4 inchish phone won’t have that problem. I also feel that maintainsing the prestent aspect ratio a better implementation of real estate gain than elongating the phone!
    Just MHO

[ Edited: 09 July 2012 03:02 PM by Yojimbo ]      
  • Posted: 09 July 2012 05:06 PM #35

As fir the ergonomics.. Well the iPhone 3G felt a Lot better in the hand.. But did not look as elegant.

You should not be presenting this stuff as fact.  I have owned both, and MUCH prefer the new form factor to hold.  Just because you or I prefer one over the other, does not mean that it is factually correct to say that one is better.

• Posted: 09 July 2012 05:11 PM #36

Lstream - 09 July 2012 08:06 PM

You should not be presenting this stuff as fact.  I have owned both, and MUCH prefer the new form factor to hold.  Just because you or I prefer one over the other, does not mean that it is factually correct to say that one is better.

It is not just my opinion… There has been a lot of talk about the square sharp edges!

But nevertheless .. It has been the most popular iPhone !

• Posted: 09 July 2012 05:15 PM #37

Yojimbo - 09 July 2012 08:11 PM

It is not just my opinion… There has been a lot of talk about the square sharp edges!

“a lot of talk” proves absolutely nothing.  I have heard of talk with the total opposite opinion.  That proves nothing either.  The iPhone 4 form factor is the most successful smart phone ever.  That is what matters.  Not a bunch of people throwing around opinions about what they like or don’t like.

• Posted: 09 July 2012 05:29 PM #38

Lstream - 09 July 2012 08:15 PM

“a lot of talk” proves absolutely nothing.  I have heard of talk with the total opposite opinion.  That proves nothing either.  The iPhone 4 form factor is the most successful smart phone ever.  That is what matters.  Not a bunch of people throwing around opinions about what they like or don’t like.

Ergonomics is not matter of opinion
    The rounded edges do two things
    Spread the load of the device on the palm more evenly resulting in a lighter feel of the device.
    The rounded edges have a siofter feel on the palm as opposed to the sharp concentrated load feel.

U may like iPhone 4 feel personally.  But ergonomics is a science
    Ergonomics:
    1. (used with a sing. verb) The applied science of equipment design, as for the workplace, intended to maximize productivity by reducing operator fatigue and discomfort. Also called biotechnology, human engineering, human factors engineering.

• Posted: 09 July 2012 05:42 PM #39

Yojimbo - 09 July 2012 08:29 PM
    Lstream - 09 July 2012 08:15 PM

The rounded edges do two things
    Spread the load of the device on the palm more evenly resulting in a lighter feel of the device.
    The rounded edges have a siofter feel on the palm as opposed to the sharp concentrated load feel.

U may like iPhone 4 feel personally.  But ergonomics is a science
    Ergonomics:
    1. (used with a sing. verb) The applied science of equipment design, as for the workplace, intended to maximize productivity by reducing operator fatigue and discomfort. Also called biotechnology, human engineering, human factors engineering.

I have been in the business of designing hand held devices for the better part of two decades, so I know what ergonomics is.  I give up.  You have your opinion.  I have mine.  They will not intersect.

• Posted: 09 July 2012 05:51 PM #40

...ergonomics is a science

I’m going to disagree with both of those statements. First, “ergonomics is the study of designing equipment and devices that fit the human body, its movements and its cognitive abilities.” While opinions are notoriously fickle, if there is a large body of opinion that does not like a specific design, then it is most likely that that design has failed in its purpose and is, by definition, unergonomic.

Second, I think there’s a robust debate as to whether ergonomics is science or art or a bit of both. If ergonomics were purely a science, then we probably wouldn’t be having this discussion - there would be only on right answer and only one right way to do a thing. No, ergonomics is not a science…yet. It may get there someday. But as of today, there’s lots and lots of art involved in the study and implementation of ergonomics.

• Posted: 09 July 2012 06:09 PM #41

FalKirk - 09 July 2012 08:51 PM

I’m going to disagree with both of those statements. First, “ergonomics is the study of designing equipment and devices that fit the human body, its movements and its cognitive abilities.” While opinions are notoriously fickle, if there is a large body of opinion that does not like a specific design, then it is most likely that that design has failed in its purpose and is, by definition, unergonomic.

Second, I think there’s a robust debate as to whether ergonomics is science or art or a bit of both. If ergonomics were purely a science, then we probably wouldn’t be having this discussion - there would be only on right answer and only one right way to do a thing. No, ergonomics is not a science…yet. It may get there someday. But as of today, there’s lots and lots of art involved in the study and implementation of ergonomics.

+1.  Ergonomic design is chock full of tradeoffs and opinions.  There is no “scientifically correct” answer to any of this stuff.  I can imagine J. Ive reading this thread and chuckling about how it is 100% scientific fact that the iPhone 4 is an ergonomically inferior design to the iPhone 3.  Sorry, but that is just laughable.

Posted: 09 July 2012 06:55 PM #42

iPhone 1 and iPhone 4(s) can be laid flat on a table and used.  The 3(gs); not so much.  Too much rockin’ and rollin’.

I prefer the iPhone4 design personally.

Signature

“Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.”
    - Jimi Hendrix

• Posted: 09 July 2012 07:04 PM #43

MacBook Pro (previously PowerBook) design has remained very similar for many, many years, over many iterations of hardware inside.

Phones are smaller, but the principle should be the same.

When a design has converged towards an optimum, then it is normal that it doesn’t change much anymore (unless there is a dramatic change in available materials or required internal volume).

Other phone manufacturers have to keep changing designs because they haven’t reached optimum, they need to change materials because of their supply chain, or they need to differentiate themselves from each other. Apple doesn’t have any of these problems.

• Posted: 10 July 2012 02:02 AM #44

FalKirk - 09 July 2012 08:51 PM

Scarfed this from Wikipedia which I see you took part of as well.

Ergonomics is concerned with the ?fit? between the user, equipment and their environments. It takes account of the user’s capabilities and limitations in seeking to ensure that tasks, functions, information and the environment suit each user.

To assess the fit between a person and the used technology, ergonomists consider the job (activity) being done and the demands on the user; the equipment used (its size, shape, and how appropriate it is for the task), and the information used (how it is presented, accessed, and changed). Ergonomics draws on many disciplines in its study of humans and their environments, including anthropometry, biomechanics, mechanical engineering, industrial engineering, industrial design, information design, kinesiology, physiology and psychology.

I was taught that ergonomics is the study of man/woman and their interaction with machines.  A definition I still find generally suitable.  In and of itself it takes a benign view and doesn’t judge per se.  I’m sorry to say Yojimbo that I’m in agreement with Falkirk as to your comment about ergonomics not being an opinion.  It’s ALL about opinion.  Many consider the Aeron chair to be advanced ergonomically and keyboards to be responsible for a great many cases of carpal tunnel syndrome.  I think the Aeron was an abomination ergonomically (particularly in it’s support of one’s ischial tuberosities (great word huh)) and glare from overhead lighting to be the chief culprit of carpal tunnel.  See…,opinions. 

As for my feelings toward the next iPhone, I’ll throw my vote in with those that feel they could leave it alone and they’d still sell all they can make.  Personally I’d like it a whole lot better if they’d square off the bottom so that you wouldn’t have to look at the stupid thing to see which way is up.  :-D

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

• Posted: 10 July 2012 12:52 PM #45

Bill.
    Certain design aspects are definitly not a matter of opinion and scientifically proven to be more efficient/ comfortable .. Etc.

The definition I posted is not my opinion.. It is what the dictionary says.

Though I would agree with the fact that there is also art involved in I some aspects of ergonomics!

In any case .. I like this debate…interesting.

And I also like the fact that almost no one participating in this thread is at all concerned about what new iPhone design will be.

Eases my concern… But still believe apple needs to make a strong impression with the new iPhone .