Next iPhone has to have a drop dead gorgeous design

Posted: 10 July 2012 01:13 PM #46

Very few consumers care about ergonomics in a smart phone. They do care what it looks like, but Apple’s designs are already easily among the best. Most importantly, consumers care that the device “just works”. Apple has a lock on that.

The next iPhone will look great and work right. It’ll have LTE and bumped up specs for those that care. iOS 6 will bring new features and improvements on existing features. Millions worldwide will line up to buy the next iPhone. The only question is whether they’ll sell 4 or 5 million the first weekend.

Posted: 10 July 2012 01:27 PM #47

Drew Bear - 10 July 2012 04:13 PM

Very few consumers care about ergonomics in a smart phone. They do care what it looks like, but Apple’s designs are already easily among the best. Most importantly, consumers care that the device “just works”. Apple has a lock on that.

The next iPhone will look great and work right. It’ll have LTE and bumped up specs for those that care. iOS 6 will bring new features and improvements on existing features. Millions worldwide will line up to buy the next iPhone. The only question is whether they’ll sell 4 or 5 million the first weekend.

I disagree.  They may not seem to care when they initially purchase a device, but the ergonomics have a huge impact on long term satisfaction as they directly relate to usability.  If your phone no longer fits in your pocket or you can operate the display, it is unlikely that you will be happy with your choice and look elsewhere.

Posted: 10 July 2012 02:41 PM #48

pats - 10 July 2012 04:27 PM
    Drew Bear - 10 July 2012 04:13 PM

I disagree.  They may not seem to care when they initially purchase a device, but the ergonomics have a huge impact on long term satisfaction as they directly relate to usability.  If your phone no longer fits in your pocket or you can operate the display, it is unlikely that you will be happy with your choice and look elsewhere.

I’m not saying ergonomics are unimportant. I’m sure Ive, Mansfield and their teams have it high on their priority list. I just don’t think consumers think about it when they purchase a smart phone, whether it’s their first or fifth.

As far as long term satisfaction and usability are concerned, those are not problems Apple currently has with the iPhone. I doubt they’ll do anything to reverse that reality.

• Posted: 03 August 2012 03:12 PM #49

Here is some insight from apple as to why the deign is so important..
    Excerpts from the trail sam vs apple

Schiller now says why the iPhone is success. ?No. 1, people find the iPhone design beautiful. No. 2 it?s an incredibly easy to use devie with all of our software?And third because we do such a good job integrating hardware and software. And fourth, we?ve taken the entire experience ? and taken responsibility to make all those things work well for the customer.?

Schiller is showing a summary of the surveys. The question is to rate the importance of the attractive appearance and design into their decision to purchase the iPhone. Apple was trying to understand from a customer?s perspective was what they felt about the appearance of a device and how important that design was in their buying decision. ?This survey result across time and across many customers confirms for me that most customers believe that attractive design is important.?

Schiller says that in the ?top two boxes? in compiling the surveys, it found that 85 percent of customers service said appearance and design is important to them.