Weekend Updates - Archive

• Posted: 08 July 2012 08:33 PM #46

I have several books that I have been meaning to read but have been pretty swamped all summer long and can’t seem to find the time.  I finally got a little bit of time and picked up one that slipped away many years ago but has been updated:  A Random Walk Down Wall Street by Malkiel.  He is definitely NOT a fan of technicians…but it’s an interesting and quick read…in particular the updated version.  Always amusing.

Signature

Keep Calm and Carry On

Posted: 08 July 2012 08:45 PM #47

Phoebear611 - 08 July 2012 11:33 PM

I have several books that I have been meaning to read but have been pretty swamped all summer long and can’t seem to find the time.  I finally got a little bit of time and picked up one that slipped away many years ago but has been updated:  A Random Walk Down Wall Street by Malkiel.  He is definitely NOT a fan of technicians…but it’s an interesting and quick read…in particular the updated version.  Always amusing.

Does it have any value in trying to understand markets and directions of stock, or is it merely a humorous tome?

• Posted: 08 July 2012 09:03 PM #48

rutgersguy92 - 08 July 2012 11:45 PM
    Phoebear611 - 08 July 2012 11:33 PM

Does it have any value in trying to understand markets and directions of stock, or is it merely a humorous tome?

I’m only half way through but it is more of a historic narrative and then it gives you an overview of things like Dow Theory, Technical Analysis, Risk, Efficient Market Theory…to name but a few. Malkiel wrote the first version 40 years ago so this is completely revised.  More importantly, it explains theory in a very pragmatic way and doesn’t get into minutia but explains the concept.  Also has anecdotal stories which I find interesting.  Again, it’s an overview but something that should be read. Kids over at Princeton read it as their bible of sorts…like the Harvard kids read Mankiw on economics.  It’s the staple.  Good stuff.

Signature

Keep Calm and Carry On

Posted: 08 July 2012 09:32 PM #49

LEAPfrog - 08 July 2012 05:58 PM
    Gregg Thurman - 07 July 2012 09:36 PM
    LEAPfrog - 07 July 2012 07:14 PM

Assuming Verizon’s iPhone numbers will be down (and they will). Will the Street remember the lesson learned last quarter or will we take another hit prior to the 24th?  Tradable?

But will there be YoY unit growth?, and how much?

Despite being down (potentially) sequentially, the most important metric will be YoY, and that should be very good.

Unfortunately, despite VZ reporting a 45% increase in activations YoY last quarter (3.2M vs 2.2M) we still took a FUD bath based on the sequential decline from 4.2M

AT&T reported 4.3M activations, down from 7.6M sequentially, but up from 3.6M YoY.

(Edited to add AT&T numbers)

One interesting thing is that, this quarter, we should get increases YoY, and possibly flat sequentially.  As long as iPhone continues to be the dominant smartphone out there, it’s going to be hard to decrease activation numbers.

• Posted: 08 July 2012 09:33 PM #50

Went over to the fancy strip mall in town.  It was a ghost town ... everyone seemed to be away this weekend so I popped into the AAPL store.  I had to wait.  Need I say more?

Signature

Keep Calm and Carry On