SSD Which Hibernate mode

Posted: 07 July 2012 07:42 AM

Running a MacBook Pro 5.1, 15” 2.4Ghz, 8GB Ram, 120GB SSD as boot drive (in place of optical drive).

To stretch out the life of the battery, instead of sleeping (currently the hibernate mode is set to 3) I’m wondering if I should change the hibernate mode to 1

Is this a good idea if the boot drive is a SSD ?

cheers

Pete,,,

Signature

Smile they said, it could be worse. So we did, and it was!

Posted: 11 July 2012 03:44 PM #1

Just to catch those up to speed: hibernate modes are as follows (according to ‘man pmset’ on my 10.7.2 Lion Mac)

0 = (default for desktops) Just sleeps and contents of RAM are lost when battery is removed or dies.
    3 = (default for portables) this saves the contents to RAM *and* to disk. If battery power remains, machine will “sleep” normally. If battery power dies, then the RAM is still saved to disk and can be restored upon boot (taking longer, but still preserving contents of RAM).
    25 = Always hibernate. This saves the contents of RAM to disk and shuts off the Mac. As furbies indicated, this would, in theory, save battery life because you’re not powering your Mac through sleep.

Mode 1 used to be essentially like mode 25, and still may be.

But regardless of mode numbers, I think you’re still better off at the default. If you know your Mac is going to be off for many days (or more), just shut it down. Lion’s “resume” modes make restoration pretty simple regardless.

Signature

-Dave Hamilton / The Mac Observer / Mac Geek Gab / Dave on Twitter
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.

Posted: 11 July 2012 03:53 PM #2

Thanks Dave

Certainly ‘food’ for thought

Signature

Posted: 19 July 2012 03:40 AM #3

Just thought I’d update this thread.

After not being able to get hibernate to work on my MBP with the SSD in the optical bay, I contacted OWC and found out that the SSD/Boot Drive has to be in the HDD bay for hibernate mode to work.

regards

Pete…

Signature

Posted: 19 July 2012 09:55 AM #4

Thanks, Pete. That’s VERY good to know. Did you try swapping it to ensure that works?

Signature

-Dave Hamilton / The Mac Observer / Mac Geek Gab / Dave on Twitter
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.

Posted: 19 July 2012 11:15 AM #5

Dave Hamilton - 19 July 2012 12:55 PM

Thanks, Pete. That’s VERY good to know. Did you try swapping it to ensure that works?

Dave

I did swap the drives over and now it works.

(Well it looks like it works to me)

regards

Pete…

Signature