Are You Buying a MacBook Pro with Retina Display?

Poll: Are You Buying a MacBook Pro with Retina Display?
Total Votes: 32
I already have mine.
It’s on order. Just waiting for delivery.
I’m waiting to see if there are problems before buying.
No upgrade for me. I’m happy with my current computer.
Nope. The Retina Display isn’t important to me.

Posted: 12 July 2012 12:45 PM

Apple’s new MacBook Pro with Retina Display is in stores and making its way into user’s hands. Are you planning on picking up one for yourself?

• Posted: 12 July 2012 12:58 PM #1

Generally I hate it when somebody posts “first” in a forum, but I’m going to take this one, I am the first one to check I that I already have my MacBook Pro Retina.

grin

Posted: 12 July 2012 01:10 PM #2

Nope… my household requires all computer purchases to be 100% EPEAT certified.

• Posted: 12 July 2012 01:30 PM #3

Apple’s latest and greatest operating systems are designed with the consumer in mind, meaning they’ve removed the ability for advanced users to change certain behaviors in favor of a better workflow. For this reason, I am still using Snow Leopard.

Until I am convinced that I’ll get an operating system that allows me to use my computer the way I want to rather than the way Apple tells me I should, I’m not upgrading.

Also, I don’t know if there’ll be a Matte Retina Display (anti-glare) option.

Hardware doesn’t mean much if the OS if faulty.

Posted: 12 July 2012 01:47 PM #4

mjkphoto - 12 July 2012 04:30 PM

meaning they’ve removed the ability for advanced users to change certain behaviors in favor of a better workflow

Wait, what?  What can you not change in Lion that messes up your workflow?  You can hide “All My Files”, you can toss Launchpad out of your doc, you can set the keyboard shortcuts of Mission Control to match Snow Leopard’s Spaces and Expose, you can put the scroll direction back the way it used to be, and you can even make the Library folder visible.  So what are they actually preventing you from doing?  As far as I know, they are just making the default config more iOS-like, but the OS itself still has all the same UNIX power.

As for the Retina MBP, this, unfortunately, is not the year in which I have a new laptop in my budget. (Got a top of the line iMac last year, and a new iPad this year.)  Maybe next year.  But if I were buying a laptop this year the choice would be between the Retina MBP and an MBA, with the deciding factor being whether I wanted a light mobile system (and use my iMac as the main work horse) or a portable workhorse system (if I were doing more consulting, but I’m not right now).

Posted: 12 July 2012 02:09 PM #5

webjprgm - 12 July 2012 04:47 PM

Wait, what?

Nope, I don’t understand what all the whining is about, either.

Posted: 12 July 2012 03:11 PM #6

I have my new MacBook Pro. It’s the “old style” not the Retina.

I wanted a minimum 500Gb HDD. The rPro wanted an arm and a leg for this. In a couple of years I’ll be able to upgrade this unit myself when the price of SSD’s drop.

I need 4GB RAM now but don’t know what I’ll need later. I didn’t want to buy RAM I didn’t need or need RAM in a couple of years and be stuck.

The Retina display is beautiful but I really doubt that my old fuzzy eyes would benefit. My new MBP has the Hi Rez display option but the first thing I did was to increase the icon and text size of everything so I could read it. Sharpness is irrelevant when you’re looking through cataracts.

I keep my systems a long time. I’ve eventually had to replace the battery in most of them. Nuff Said.

I don’t live near an Apple Store so either I do my work/upgrades myself or mail the system off and get it back in a week or two. An essentially unserviceable system is a big risk here in the woods.

My only complaint so far is that after using an AL 13” MacBook for four years my new MBP is HEAVY.

[ Edited: 12 July 2012 04:36 PM by geoduck ]

Signature

Courage is not the absence of fear, that’s insanity.
    Courage is knowing the risks and dangers.
    And doing what needs to be done anyway.

• Posted: 12 July 2012 06:33 PM #7

webjprgm - 12 July 2012 04:47 PM

Wait, what?

Auto Save is the deal-breaker.

Lack of legacy software support is also an issue.

[ Edited: 12 July 2012 06:37 PM by mjkphoto ]      

Posted: 21 July 2012 08:27 PM #8

+

Going to pass at the moment. My iMac does all the heavy lifting I need for now, even as it still gets by, after a year, using an external LaCie FW800 drive as the boot disk following the frying of its internal HD. smile

Signature

mrmwebmax (formerly mrmgraphics)
    Max out your site! mrmwebmax.com