Weekend Updates - Archive

Posted: 13 July 2012 06:29 PM

Whew!  The bar is open!

[ Edited: 16 July 2012 11:28 PM by lovemyipad ]      

Posted: 13 July 2012 06:33 PM #1

I need something for the motion sickness first.

Whipsaws aren’t anywhere near as fun as roller coasters (by that I mean the actual rides)

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 13 July 2012 06:38 PM #2

jjjz - 13 July 2012 04:36 PM

(...)Took a small loss here as I could hear a little lovemyiPad voice (echoing from within a closet) whispering “risk management, risk management!”

I would not be surprised if Red’s call on a very green last 30 minutes of trading takes place, but when the decision is “lose $5K versus lose $500 for limited upside from here” ... I think it was the right choice even if a flourish finish makes it seem wrong on paper.

Well done, jjjz!!!  I’m proud of you!!! smile

IMHO, if you keep thinking like that, the $$ wins will outweigh the $$ losses by far! smile

• Posted: 13 July 2012 06:57 PM #3

What a pleasant Apple Orchard period of time since June 28!!

Posted: 13 July 2012 07:09 PM #4

Apple II+ - 13 July 2012 07:21 PM

iPhone 5. August 7

August 7 sounds way to early, BUT…

This may be an early announcement for a late August/early September release.

Sure, it ‘osbournes’ perhaps a couple of million iPhone 4s sales, but it likely kills a huge chunk of rivals sales for the month of August, as all those potential buyers of galaxy S3s etc wait for the announced iPhone 5 instead, meaning a net positive iPhone sales outcome for apple.

Plus apple might drop the price on the iPhone 4/4s immediately to the new price points (free/$99) which could alleviate some potential sales reduction (it will be the first time that Verizon will have a free on account iPhone since they don’t have the 3GS)

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics

Posted: 13 July 2012 07:11 PM #5

Bartender, I’ll have what Roni’s drinking! :D

It’s true, Roni.  And I thank you for reminding me that my glass is mostly full—something too easily forgotten in my irritation over how long it’s taking to get back to the “cup runneth over” days.

[ Edited: 13 July 2012 09:22 PM by lovemyipad ]      

Posted: 13 July 2012 07:25 PM #6

lovemyipad - 13 July 2012 10:11 PM

Bartender, I’ll have what Roni’s drinking! :D

It’s true, Roni.  And I thank you for reminding me that my glass is mostly full—something too easily forgetten in my irritation over how long it’s taking to get back to the “cup runneth over” days.

Agreed.  This is one of the tougher run-ups, especially with the memory of the April disaster still fresh in our minds.

Hopefully next week is like the week before earnings in October ‘11 (the week after the IPhone 4S introduction and the passing oft SJ).

• Posted: 13 July 2012 07:30 PM #7

I took some of the proceeds from closing my Oct $550 position and bought a WM position with it - trash, I know :-D , but trash with a 4.5% divvy.

The rest is still in cash.  Am waiting for the Jan $550’s to get all grown up now.  I am thinking of them as toddlers now.

Tempted a little to close some of the Jan 2014 $600’s and move them up to April 2013’s, but I think I shall resist that temptation for now, and see how things look in October

Posted: 13 July 2012 08:19 PM #8

Burgess - 13 July 2012 10:09 PM

iPhone 5. August 7

Sure, it ‘osbournes’ perhaps a couple of million iPhone 4s sales, but it likely kills a huge chunk of rivals sales for the month of August, as all those potential buyers of galaxy S3s etc wait for the announced iPhone 5 instead, meaning a net positive iPhone sales outcome for apple.

Plus apple might drop the price on the iPhone 4/4s immediately to the new price points (free/$99) which could alleviate some potential sales reduction (it will be the first time that Verizon will have a free on account iPhone since they don’t have the 3GS)

You can get the 4 for $50 at RadioShack, Walmart & Target.  I just picked up a 4S for my wife for $ 150 at RadioShack.  As far as losing sales, I doubt Apple will announce until they are ready to deliver and iOS 6 should be ready before the end of August IMO so we wait.

• Posted: 13 July 2012 08:54 PM #9

Burgess - 13 July 2012 10:09 PM

iPhone 5. August 7

This is my thinking as well if the August 7 date is real.  It behooves Apple to launch iPhone 5 as soon as possible, even if the announcement precedes availability by a few weeks.

Posted: 13 July 2012 09:30 PM #10

I think apple will announce iPhone in August.

I think apple will hold a special event in October where they will have baby brother for iPad and new iTunes.. Perhaps a preview of apple TV for January launch..

Posted: 13 July 2012 09:47 PM #11

New iPhone? iPad Mini? More?

We are just getting started. — Tim Cook, March 7, 2012

Signature

The only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. — Steve Jobs

Posted: 13 July 2012 09:57 PM #12

Apple II+ - 14 July 2012 12:47 AM

New iPhone? iPad Mini? More?

We are just getting started. — Tim Cook, March 7, 2012

What we really need is a whole new category. Apple should disrupt a whole new category of industry every three years in order to keep the momentum going. The big question is whether TC can do that, or if the big innovations will die with a whimper.

• Posted: 13 July 2012 09:58 PM #13

Nagrani - 14 July 2012 12:30 AM

I think apple will announce iPhone in August.

I think apple will hold a special event in October where they will have baby brother for iPad and new iTunes.. Perhaps a preview of apple TV for January launch..

That site is sure confident about August 7 as the launch date for iPhone 5.  Did you catch the last sentence?

Make sure to check back with us on August 7 when we?ll have live coverage of Apple?s announcement.

Posted: 13 July 2012 10:06 PM #14

Hah!  BOOM goes the Dalrymple!

http://www.loopinsight.com/

Told ya he’d comment.  And I’d bet a virtual GOLD BRICK (looking mouse) he’s right, as he has been since he’s been commenting on these rumors.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 13 July 2012 10:10 PM #15

Mav - 14 July 2012 01:06 AM

Hah!  BOOM goes the Dalrymple!

http://www.loopinsight.com/

Told ya he’d comment.  And I’d bet a virtual GOLD BRICK (looking mouse) he’s right, as he has been since he’s been commenting on these rumors.

Dammit Jim!!!!