Weekend Updates - Archive

• Posted: 14 July 2012 06:57 PM #31

New iPhone 5 under production, suggesting a September launch, not October:

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/14/iphone-5-production-underway-for-an-expected-fall-launch/

• Posted: 14 July 2012 06:57 PM #32

johnG - 14 July 2012 09:39 PM

Ron

I thought you had go all WM divi conservative on us?  :wink:

cheers buddy
        JohnG

Nope smile

I have moved about 20% of our self-managed funds into dividend positions.  That proportion will increase over the next 18 months, but I will always have room for some Apple option/LEAP positions, until the fundamental story changes

Posted: 14 July 2012 07:08 PM #33

Mercel - 14 July 2012 09:57 PM

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/14/iphone-5-production-underway-for-an-expected-fall-launch/

Knowing Tim, a few iPhones bound for the US when the new iPhone launches will ship…from the US. :eg:

If this is a new enclosure/similar chipset deal?  The only real limiting factor would be the enclosure.  Apple gave itself 2 years to get things right, and it bristles with experience and expertise.  No sweat, I say.  September would be great, even as I wonder if I’ll end up waiting for the iPhone 5S.

[ Edited: 14 July 2012 07:11 PM by Mav ]

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 14 July 2012 07:29 PM #34

LTE capability should be a good carrot for 4/4S users. FWIW, I personally find the current 3GS service speeds (from VZ) a bit “frustrating” at times.

Regardless, it will be VERY interesting to see if VZ and AT&T allow 4S users to upgrade early with less than 12 months under the current 4S contract. VZ has floated a few trial comments hinting that they WON’T do these really early upgrades or they will want some extra mhula thrown into their piggy bank. I see this as a material issue in terms of the FUD generators.

cheers to the longs
        johnG

Posted: 14 July 2012 07:33 PM #35

Not material.

iPhone’s growth has gone international.

US activations will be the bigger FUD issue to consider.  Tune in starting the second half of next week (Vz reports 7/19)

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 14 July 2012 07:40 PM #36

johnG - 14 July 2012 10:29 PM

LTE capability should be a good carrot for 4/4S users. FWIW, I personally find the current 3GS service speeds (from VZ) a bit “frustrating” at times.

Regardless, it will be VERY interesting to see if VZ and AT&T allow 4S users to upgrade early with less than 12 months under the current 4S contract. VZ has floated a few trial comments hinting that they WON’T do these really early upgrades or they will want some extra mhula thrown into their piggy bank. I see this as a material issue in terms of the FUD generators.

cheers to the longs
        johnG

You have a 3GS running on Verizon???

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics

Posted: 14 July 2012 07:43 PM #37

Mercel - 14 July 2012 09:57 PM

smile smile smile

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics

Posted: 14 July 2012 07:54 PM #38

Burgess - 14 July 2012 10:40 PM
    johnG - 14 July 2012 10:29 PM

cheers to the longs
        johnG

You have a 3GS running on Verizon???

Meant 3G   ...........  getting ~0.5 Mbps (download) on average. Sometimes a little better, sometimes a bit worse   :-x

• Posted: 14 July 2012 09:09 PM #39

The rumor sites are picking up the iPhone 5 production story.  A early to mid-September release would help demolish the FQ4 2011 EPS, which was disappointing given the late arrival of iPhone 4s. Guidance from Apple on July 24 should tell the tale on timing.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/07/14/rumor_next_gen_iphone_now_in_production_possible_design_change_in_tow.html

Posted: 14 July 2012 09:16 PM #40

How many more iPads, how many more or less iPhones?

Big picture, forecasting Q4 2012 is really pretty easy.  But I have to get that iPad sales number first.  Still too few data points.  I want to see iPad sales well north of 18M for fiscal Q2 (I’m at 19.9M), which would help give me a solid reason to forecast iPad sales of at least 22M+ (maybe 25M+ to better account for the China launch?) for fiscal Q4.  25M or so iPads sold in fiscal Q4 would go a long way to cover for any iPhone (transition) uncertainty.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 14 July 2012 09:22 PM #41

I don’t think we’ll be surprised about what the next iPhone 5 will look like.  Despite “Double-Down” Tim, these are very likely the best images of the next iPhone.  They’re gorgeous.  Even Gizmodo—the- click-bait-site-second-to-none—agrees with that assessment.

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2012/06/more-leaked-iphone-5-shots-confirm-its-simply-gorgeous/

• Posted: 14 July 2012 09:26 PM #42

I think it makes a great deal of difference when the iPhone gets released and how many million are for sale in Q4, if any.

At 32.5 million iPhones and 23 million iPads, I like the earnings estimate smile

Posted: 14 July 2012 09:28 PM #43

For…fiscal Q4?  Or Q3?

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 14 July 2012 09:29 PM #44

Mav - 15 July 2012 12:28 AM

For…fiscal Q4?  Or Q3?

Q4

I am at 30.25 million iPhones for Q3, and 21 million iPads

Mere guesses

Posted: 14 July 2012 09:30 PM #45

Mercel - 15 July 2012 12:22 AM

I don’t think we’ll be surprised about what the next iPhone 5 will look like.  Despite “Double-Down” Tim, these are very likely the best images of the next iPhone.  They’re gorgeous.  Even Gizmodo—the- click-bait-site-second-to-none—agrees with that assessment.

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2012/06/more-leaked-iphone-5-shots-confirm-its-simply-gorgeous/

It’s not the easiest on my hands, but I shouldn’t be playing with my iPhone 10 hours a day anyway. raspberry LOL

If we get a design like that it’ll be plenty great enough.  But Apple is insanely minimalist.  Two-tone more or less died with the black-plastic-back aluminum iMac, and bezels don’t count.  We’ll have to wait and see what the final product looks like.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.