AAPL Intraday Updates - Archive

Posted: 20 July 2012 06:00 PM #466

Mav - 20 July 2012 08:55 PM

iPad, why not vent a little by going to the charts?  :innocent:  (/freeloader)

LOL!  I’m getting there…  Letting the wine kick in… wink

Posted: 20 July 2012 06:01 PM #467

lovemyipad - 20 July 2012 08:50 PM

Bud, you are absolutely right!  And for the most part, I do think that way.  But this far into a consolidation period makes me grouchy, and if *I’m* grouchy… wink

Yeah, I agree with Bud, too. It’s a game. We know how it is played and we are happy when it plays out the way we think it will.  When it doesn’t, like today, and when it just “doesn’t make sense” or “just isn’t fair,” (PE), I have to step back, take a deep breath and be happy for the tidings AAPL has delivered to me.

I’m just mad at myself because, in retrospect, it is pretty easy to expect that a Monthy OE would be a downer. I could have pocketed the 10% gains from yesterday and redeployed them today rather than seem that evaporate. Oh well, I am becoming a better trader and still ahead in the game. I’m not taking my ball and going home…

Signature

Study the natural order of things and work with it rather than against it…  ? Tao Te Ching

Posted: 20 July 2012 06:04 PM #468

Bud777 - 20 July 2012 08:33 PM

It really is offensive to see this kind of manipulation, but shouldn’t we really appreciate it?  I mean the underlying fundamentals seem to dominate in the end as evidenced by the 200 point rise thus far this year and the 100 point fluctuations give us many more opportunities to profit by getting in and out. If it were all fundamentals, I doubt that anyone except the buy and hold investors would make much money. 

In some ways, it is the predictability of things like max pain that seem to violate the myth of an efficient market, but even then, if the manipulation is predictable, we can profit from it.  I guess I am just trying to say that we have all been around long enough to know the game, no sense getting upset with it.  It is what it is.

Don’t blame the call sellers - they have no choice as market makers. And frankly, I can’t blame them for dumping shares to drop the price below those call strikes. That’s what I would do. It’s the cost of liquidity.

Blame the near-the-money call buyers who cause this every week. They are the problem.

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007

Posted: 20 July 2012 06:06 PM #469

lovemyipad - 20 July 2012 09:00 PM
    Mav - 20 July 2012 08:37 PM

(...)
    I swear, every time I think of the SEC, I think of Allstate’s Mayhem in that lazy guard dog commercial.

Here’s the thing, MHO re: why the SEC doesn’t do anything: markets are manipulated up and down.  We only notice/complain when it goes against our position.  That parabolic period?  Many believe were were catching up to our rightful valuation.  I stopped believing that after TC spoke to GS.  IMHO, that frothy period was manipulation to the upside.  We got ahead of ourselves—big money knew it and took profits ahead of APR’12 earnings.  Diabolically brilliant in retrospect.

I try to be balanced in my outrage of manipulation in general.  I mean, look what happened during the market crash of 08-09.

AAPL is constantly disrespected but it seems moreso in the current Uptick Rule-free environment.  Sure I’ve adjusted, but AAPL’s multiple in the basement of 15 cannot be explained away completely by FUD, “fad worries”, The Myth of Large Numbers, no Steve Jobs (double-edged valuation sword, that), “oh, AAPL costs too much per share”, and on and on.  See:  CMG (though it took a beating today), PCLN, NFLX until last year…

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.