AFB APB:  Anyone getting pop-ups again?

Posted: 20 July 2012 03:57 PM

So far only Mercel seems to be having issues, but if you guys are seeing those damn pop-ups again, post here!  This is the most popular forum after all, so it’s the best place to get a read on this.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 20 July 2012 04:04 PM #1

[deleted]

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 20 July 2012 04:27 PM #2

Update:  We now have two members seeing video pop-ups between posts.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 20 July 2012 04:53 PM #3

I do have some kind of ad block, because this site now asks if I will “donate” to support the site.  Now, I’m getting video (including audio) in the middle of a post. 

I’d rather watch Tony S. wax stupid about AAPL on CNBC than navigate around these extremely annoying popups.

Posted: 20 July 2012 05:00 PM #4

Well, happy trails Mercel if you take a permanent vacation from here.

I’ve been lucky to have avoided the pop-ups, but the point is, pop-ups on a forum are inexcusable.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 20 July 2012 05:16 PM #5

Mav - 20 July 2012 08:00 PM

Well, happy trails Mercel if you take a permanent vacation from here.

I’ve been lucky to have avoided the pop-ups, but the point is, pop-ups on a forum are inexcusable.

I haven’t seen any pop ups.

Edit: I’m posting from my iPhone.

Signature

Waiting to be included in one of Apple’s target markets, but I still own an iPod, iPhone and iMac and APPL stock.

• Posted: 20 July 2012 05:26 PM #6

Here.  This is what I see.  Seriously, we should not have to revisit this issue. 

Posted: 20 July 2012 05:31 PM #7

Ah HA.

Actually Mercel, that’s a spin on an old problem.

Vibrant is a purveyor of pop-up contextual over-linked-word ads.  These annoying buggers are EVERYWHERE…I remember first seeing them pop up on AnandTech.  And now with video?  Oh yeah, I’m sure that’s a hit with _everybody_.  rolleyes

Hovering over the double-underlined words, which randomly pop up, are the key and the trigger.  It’s much worse if you don’t have a Flash blocker.

Thing is though, Phoebear reports seeing pop-ups on iOS.  You can’t see those types of ads without tapping on those words.  Something different, maybe?

Mercel, YOUR ads can be avoided with Fast Reply and keeping an eye out for those double-underlined word ads.  Actually, kind of the same rules as always with those contextual words ads.  Doesn’t make ‘em any less annoying.

[ Edited: 20 July 2012 05:33 PM by Mav ]

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 20 July 2012 05:37 PM #8

Fast reply doesn’t allow “Quote”

But I’ll try it when I don’t.  Vendors really need to rethink the ineffective reception people have to these.  I don’t expect much of Verizon and here’s yet more proof why.

Posted: 20 July 2012 05:40 PM #9

Never mind.  NOW I see the trigger.

At random intervals, the EMAIL word will light up as an ad word.  I just encountered it with Fast Reply too, so while it happens less often, it happens.

In the meantime Mercel, since you’re a Mac/Safari guy like me, GET THEE TO THIS: 
    https://extensions.apple.com/

ClicktoFlash is not far down the page.  It’s a friggin’ lifesaver ACROSS THE ENTIRE INTERNET.  It’ll mitigate the Verizon popup ad disaster (no video will play) and make Flash an opt-in, mostly seamless experience.

[ Edited: 20 July 2012 05:45 PM by Mav ]

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 20 July 2012 05:45 PM #10

PM’d Adam and iPad with my findings.  Transforming words into pop-ups with typing is devious and honestly, wrong.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 20 July 2012 06:54 PM #11

Mav - 20 July 2012 08:31 PM

Ah HA.

Double AHA! I use Javascript blacklist, which blocks these. This is a great tool.

Lots of websites depend on Javascript for important functionality that users need, so just turning it off is really not workable. But Javascript blacklist just prevents scripts from known advertising crap sites from running.

Posted: 20 July 2012 08:09 PM #12

I just got Mav’s PM. Of course we will be immediately looking into this. I’ll get Dave in the loop, but please give us a few business days to see what we can do. Thanks.

Posted: 20 July 2012 08:13 PM #13

Odd. Does this happen consistently? I just checked it on my system and I didn’t seem to get the same result.

Posted: 20 July 2012 08:21 PM #14

You can disable JavaScript to avoid many Web pitfalls -

But then half the Web doesn’t work.  Not a viable option for me.  Wonder if there’s a targeted JS blocker extension for Safari.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 20 July 2012 10:38 PM #15

Adam,

Use Mac/Safari.

Start typing with a standard reply. 

Should come up then after about a sentence or two.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.