Adobe Flash question

Posted: 22 July 2012 11:13 AM

+

At my day job, I’m working on a Flash ad banner. It will eventually appear on the Industrial Laser Solutions website Home page, in place of the static Coherent banner, shown here:

Industrial Laser Solutions

On smaller screens, such as my 15” MBP, the banner is mostly “beneath the fold.” As such, and because I’m only allowed a certain amount of animation before the banner goes static, I’d like to trigger the animation to start when a user scrolls down the page, and the banner (300x600 pixels) becomes fully into view. Otherwise, my animation (and advertising message) won’t be seen.

I’m no expert in Adobe Flash, and have no idea if this is possible. Does anyone know if it’s possible to trigger the animation when the banner becomes fully into view, baed on page scroll?

Signature

mrmwebmax (formerly mrmgraphics)
    Max out your site! mrmwebmax.com

Posted: 24 July 2012 12:27 PM #1

Hopefully someone with some JavaScript experience will reply, because JS is the only way I know of to delay or trigger a webpage action based on in-page behavior (scrolling, hover, etc).

That said, and this is something we’re actively working on over at BackBeat Media (and, yes, here at TMO), we have compiled a LOT of data that shows that static banners perform FAR better than animated ones. We have put the same banner in the same spot on the same page, and engagement is twice as high with the static banner as it is with the animated one. My theory (that we haven’t yet proven) is that this may be that people have learned to ignore animation on the web (especially in ads), because there’s no value to them there. We’ll keep you posted on our findings, but in general, animation = less impact in today’s web.

Lastly, Flash is blocked by a good 15% (or more) of readers of this web site. You may want to rethink your ad-creation platform depending on the audience of your ad.

Signature

-Dave Hamilton / The Mac Observer / Mac Geek Gab / Dave on Twitter
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.

Posted: 24 July 2012 07:16 PM #2

+

Dave,

Thanks for the in-depth reply.

I know that lots of people block Flash. I, personally, never liked it in the first place, which is why I’m not that experienced with it. As the site I’m creating this for, Industrial Laser Solutions, keeps track of clicks, I’ll be able to see if this is more effective than the static ad we ran until July. This will be primarily an experiment.

Will look into JavaScript and see if that can help trigger the animation on full view. Thanks again.

Signature

mrmwebmax (formerly mrmgraphics)
    Max out your site! mrmwebmax.com