AAPL Q3 2012 Earnings Results Thread

Posted: 24 July 2012 06:32 PM #31

greedyn00b - 24 July 2012 09:20 PM
    AppleDoc - 24 July 2012 09:17 PM

I took a risk and lost. I’m comfortable with what I just lost on weeklies. My mistake was not leaving capital to take advantage of a possible drop.

Same here, almost. I went to the edge of my comfort zone, and this hurts, but I’ll be OK…

Well, I made some terrible decisions and am suffering as a result.  I am not sure what to do with my Oct 600s at this point, continue to hold or move out to Apr ‘13.  With the crappy guidance for Sept quarter, I am inclined to move them out to April of next year.

• Posted: 24 July 2012 06:33 PM #32

rickag - 24 July 2012 09:03 PM
    roni - 24 July 2012 08:58 PM

Raising cash to buy
    hand over fist

With guidance of only 7.65 I’m guessing you will have plenty of time. 

Not sure how far AAPL will drop and for how long. 

Time for me to regroup and plan.

Bummer

At the current after market price and the current ttm, we are at 13.5 P/E, mas o menos.

Any P/E of 13 or less is buyable.  Big time back up the truck

• Posted: 24 July 2012 06:48 PM #33

I don’t know about “big time”.  This quarter definitely has me less spirited about Apple’s ability to continue as usual.  A P/E below 12 would make me “Big time back up the truck”.

• Posted: 24 July 2012 06:59 PM #34

I am now wondering if realistic guidence is now the new norm.  Maybe the sand bagging was a directive from SJ, so in his absence Apple now pays a dividend AND gives realistic guidence.  If this is in fact the case, I just hope it only takes WS one quarter to figure it out…  Doubtful,  but one can dream.

• Posted: 24 July 2012 07:01 PM #35

Bottom line (what I got out of the CC):
    Little to be optimistic about over the next three months.
    Traders and long term investors, tread carefully.
    :(

• Posted: 24 July 2012 07:07 PM #36

Mav - 24 July 2012 08:37 PM

You and me both.

This is the quarter that guidance is perilously close to actual.

Apple is raising the specter of a very anemic transition quarter.

This is the worst earnings report I’ve seen since beginning to follow Apple in 2004.  Guidance is despicable.

I don’t care what model you used (amateur and professional alike) Apple MISSED numbers big time.

I listened very hard to PO and TCs explanations and I’m not buying it.  Ending inventories zoomed - DEMAND is way down.  Something is very, very wrong.

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

Posted: 24 July 2012 07:10 PM #37

No, nothing is wrong.

Apple is now somewhat cyclical/seasonal and they changed the guidance rules mid-stream.  Apple is arguably at fault for not telling anyone at WS about this.

iPad is fine.  iPhone peaked sometime between December 2011 and February 2012, probably.

THERE IS NO SIRI IN CHINA.  Not until October-ish I bet this is a bigger deal than many realize.

We wait for the holiday quarter.  We’ll monitor Apple’s execution of its rollouts then.  And we have to continually adjusting for Apple’s slowing rate of growth.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 24 July 2012 07:16 PM #38

wildguess - 24 July 2012 09:06 PM

I expect analysts will come out tomorrow and lower estimates. AAPL might be dead money for a couple months.

AAPL is dead money until after October earnings.  Even then, with an earnings beat and positive guidance, the market will take a wait and see, prove it to me, attitude.  We may not see ISM/PPS growth until after April earnings.

I think AAPL will be far more susceptible to macro events in the future.

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

• Posted: 24 July 2012 07:16 PM #39

Mav - 24 July 2012 10:10 PM

THERE IS NO SIRI IN CHINA.  Not until October-ish I bet this is a bigger deal than many realize.

I wonder if it was a mistake to announce Siri for China coming in iOS 6?

Posted: 24 July 2012 07:21 PM #40

No.  At least we know it’s on the way.

A lot of markets are missing Siri.  Siri is a tentpole feature and without it the iPhone 4S isn’t much more than a faster iPhone with better camera in the minds of many.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 24 July 2012 07:21 PM #41

Jcaron - 24 July 2012 09:59 PM

I am now wondering if realistic guidence is now the new norm.  Maybe the sand bagging was a directive from SJ, so in his absence Apple now pays a dividend AND gives realistic guidence.  If this is in fact the case, I just hope it only takes WS one quarter to figure it out…  Doubtful,  but one can dream.

With the guidance Apple just gave I am praying (hard to do I’m an atheist) that you are wrong.  If today’s guidance is more realistic, then we are done.

Signature

Posted: 24 July 2012 07:23 PM #42

sirozha - 24 July 2012 08:52 PM
    wheeles - 24 July 2012 08:48 PM

When are they paying the dividend?

August 16 to shareholders on record as of COB August 13.

Could that be a catalyst for value funds and investors to buy AAPL in the next three weeks?

Signature

“Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” Albert Einstein

Posted: 24 July 2012 07:24 PM #43

Sell now, then.

Get used to it.  Here’s an early number from me:  $35B revs, 22M iPhones, 19M iPads, 41% GM, $8.10 EPS.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 24 July 2012 07:28 PM #44

Gregg Thurman - 24 July 2012 10:07 PM
    Mav - 24 July 2012 08:37 PM

You and me both.

This is the quarter that guidance is perilously close to actual.

Apple is raising the specter of a very anemic transition quarter.

This is the worst earnings report I’ve seen since beginning to follow Apple in 2004.  Guidance is despicable.

I don’t care what model you used (amateur and professional alike) Apple MISSED numbers big time.

I listened very hard to PO and TCs explanations and I’m not buying it.  Ending inventories zoomed - DEMAND is way down.  Something is very, very wrong.

Correction.. They did not miss their guidance.. They missed street speculation.
    Maybe street will come to its senses and as a result the stock price ation will stabilize.
    Apple made aprox 8 billion net.. How is that a miss? Miss is what msft did!

• Posted: 24 July 2012 07:32 PM #45

Mav - 24 July 2012 10:21 PM

No.  At least we know it’s on the way.

A lot of markets are missing Siri.  Siri is a tentpole feature and without it the iPhone 4S isn’t much more than a faster iPhone with better camera in the minds of many.

I meant were they wrong to announce it at WWDC at the beginning of June—no question they needed to talk about it today.